Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty familiar with the Taurus 92/99 Series pistols and their revolvers; but I just purchased a PT-945 in stainless w/ 2 mags. The gun looks and feels pretty darn good!!! Is there anything I should be aware of with this model of pistol? Also, what is a good source of extra mags for this pistol?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congratulations. I love mine. This is one of the fine Taurus automatics. Take a look at the rosewood laminate or mother-of-pearl grips at Taurus. I got the rosewood ones and they are gorgeous and feel very good on the gun. They are thicker and have palm swells. Really great. As far as magazines, just do a general Google search. I forgot where I got one more for mine. I suggest you stick with the factory ones. The one aftermarket version does not fit the same. jrh

·
Registered
66 Posts
945 Photo

Congratulations. I love mine. This is one of the fine Taurus automatics. Take a look at the rosewood laminate or mother-of-pearl grips at Taurus. I got the rosewood ones and they are gorgeous and feel very good on the gun. They are thicker and have palm swells. Really great. As far as magazines, just do a general Google search. I forgot where I got one more for mine. I suggest you stick with the factory ones. The one aftermarket version does not fit the same. jrh
By the way, here's mine. jrh

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fystb73TiN6ypOMypONCMdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I have heard no negative comment on the 945.
I have often wondered why Taurus' 900 series are not real popular. I bought a 845 a couple years ago and wished I'd got the 945 instead.
I think many folk have jumped onto the polymer gun bandwagon without looking at some of these fine older metal frame guns.
Mags?....I just bought 4 mags for my PT-111 from Cabelas for $48. -the last Taurus mags I bought were $39 each! They did not have the 945 mags.

Here is a 8 round mag for $40, and they have a 10 round promag for $25?
Taurus PT 945 Factory Gun Magazine

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
101 That is a nice looking pistola there.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
:thumb:Congrats on your acquisition of the fine PT945 pistol, and welcome to the forum!:wave:

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
The 945 is an awesome gun, and very under sold model IMO. The gun probably feels so good in your hand because they basically just took some 92/99 lowers and gave it a new barrel and slide design. I love my 945, and it's my every day carry. As far as magazines go, just buy the Taurus mags, the ProMag version also shown below (nickel finish on left) just doesn't feel right at all in the gun. Aside from the missing cover extension on the bottom of the magazine being missing, it seems that the angle of the mag catch in cut wrong and is prone to random ejection because it won't lock in tight. Mine actually failed on me at the range, the follower won't push up more than 4 rounds without dipping forwards and stopping halfway up. Now it's relegated to snapcap duty only and i bought another Taurus mag for it, found it at Gander Mountain on sale for $20 a while back. Better than the $36 from Taurus directly.

As far as ammo and shooting it goes, it's like petting a kitten every time it goes bang. Just make sure when you aim at the targets, cover up what you want to hit with front dot. You can't level the gun using the rear sights, the front post is too high for it to work. The dots are in line, but are hard to focus on all 3 when the paint begins to wear out. It should eat anything in brass, i would avoid Tula unless you enjoy digging out shells from the barrel. It's the only ammo that's given me any problems, but it does go bang every time but that's a testiment to the gun itself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had one but the stock grips really bit the hand! I traded it and wish I would have gone the Rosewood Factory grip option (this was over 15 years ago and they might not of been available). It is a full sized pistol and sure looks good with the custom grips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty then! Sounds to me like the 945 is a nice little gem!!! I like the feel of it with the stock grips; as I have small hands. I will be looking for the Taurus mags as well. I have two; but usually keep another couple in stock. I can't wait to try it out; then find some decent holster for it! Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
I have two of the 945 Taurus. One has the stainless with gold and pearl with the rail. The other in Stainless and no rail. As far as the pistol itself....Perfection. Good weight balance, good feel in the hand, easy to shoot. Very unappreciated for some reason by many, but that if fine. There is a small number of us who know what everyone else is missing.
Also have th Pt940, which has a little smaller frame, easier to conceal, and just as perfect.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Alrighty then! Sounds to me like the 945 is a nice little gem!!! I like the feel of it with the stock grips; as I have small hands. I will be looking for the Taurus mags as well. I have two; but usually keep another couple in stock. I can't wait to try it out; then find some decent holster for it! Thanks for the tips!
The 945 has similar dimensions to the Ruger 97, so if you look for something listed for one of those it should work well. I carry a Bianchi Minimalist belt loop leather holser size 13/15 most of the time and it keeps the gun high and tight against my body.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really like the 900 series, especially in stainless. They have a good "heavy" feel in your hand. I got a 909 a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. I found some additional factory mags at cheaperthandirt and at The GunSource. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice gun. I have small hands also and the 945 feels great. Got mine, actually two, in mid 2011. Went to cancel one of the orders but was going to be charged a 10% restock fee. So anyway, two different orders from two different places, ended up with consecutive serial numbers. I went with the stainless, gold trim and rosewood grips. I,m happy.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
I kind of like the 900 series myself! So far I have 2 of the 945, and one each of the 940, 938, 58. Next will be the 9mm calibers..909, 911 and 917.
Just click the photos for a better look n see.
PA300017.jpg
PB180005.jpg
PC060011.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You all have some fine looking pieces there!!! Mine has the stainless finish and stock black grips; and I think I like it that way! I did order a new front sight from Taurus; as mine is damaged. It was over two weeks ago; so, I hope it comes soon!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really like mine. It's just the plain old black version, but it sure does feel good in the hand. It's also very accurate with 230 gr. JHP's.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Been reading everyone's posts on the PT945. Decided to join. I have been trying to buy the PT945 stainless for 3 weeks from the net. Ordered from impactguns.com and they couldn't deliver. Now I have one on order from brazilian.thegunsource.com. Apparently the 945 series is discontinued and hard to find. Anybody have another source?
Thanks............

1 - 20 of 40 Posts