Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any owners here??

have the ported model, shoots great and it shoots anything i feed the gun. Read from the other forum that it has issues with semi wad cutter, but when i tried SWC loads on mine, it shoots without a hiccup.

Anyway, are there modifications that can be done?? I kinda find the trigger not so nice.. maybe i'm used to the 1911 trigger.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had one. It was reliable as the day is long.
I'm a lefty. It was a total disaster.

I couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside the barn.
It just didn't fit my hand. Even tried the rosewood grips.

In double action the trigger resembled something that Peter Built would be proud of.
My trigger finger kept hitting the magazine release button. Thats embarassing.
In short, I hated it. Went back to a 1911 and my world is complete.

Nothing wrong with the gun it just didn't fit me.

AFS

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nothing wrong with the gun it just didn't fit me.

+1

I loved mine but it hammer bit the hell out of me. I would love to try another one with the grip sleeves they have now. It might change my grip enough to keep the hammer from getting me. Otherwise a great gun.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I had one, ported also, and I loved it. I did put a Hogue HandAll on it. I think that helped my comfort a lot. I never had any bites though, but I have small hands relatively speaking anyways. I sold it to fund my PT145 and hated doing it, but the wife said that's the only way I was getting one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got one about a month ago..I'm also a lefty but I've had no problems w/ it.Feeds everything so far(haven't tried wadcutters though,I hate lead ammo)I did have one thing done to it though.I have bad arthritis and have kind of a weird grip,and beavertails beat the crap out of my hand..so I had it taken off by a gunsmith.....best move I've made.This is finaly a .45 I can shoot all day w/out bleeding.
I don't do the DA/SA thing..I go cocked and locked,so the DA trigger isn't an issue.The ambi-safety is perfect for lefties too.I had a PT99,so I was used to the safety.Take down is a breeze too.
as far as my shooting.....I'm shooting a little to the right(which means I'm probably jerking the trigger)but I'm getting better.
The guys at IDPA are impressed with the gun that I spent $250 on too...BTW,anybody know where I can get some rubber grips?mine came w/ the wood...they look nice but I prefer rubber on a combat gun.thanks

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I've had one for about 3 weeks now and I love it. I'm using it as my new CC weapon of choice and have had now problems with it at all. Stainless steel, factory ported model that is a well balanced gun when full or empty. Whatever you decide to shoot it in runs through without a hitch, even the ultra cheap, russian made TulAmmo from walmart ($15 box 50 ct.). They're unpolished steel cased rounds, but in the 170 rounds of that ammo I only had 1 FTE on me.

It shoots smooth enough that my accuracy doesn't suffer when I take aim single handed. I'm carrying it in a Fobus paddle holster made for a Ruger 97. It's slightly loose at first but clips in well at the trigger guard. Just applying the included velcro circles to the inside of the holster eliminated the slight rattle that I originally had. I also have a Bianchi minimalist holster to fit on my belt loop that allows for quick removal, but offers little in ways of security should someone try and grab it from you.

There's only one thing I hate about this gun, there isn't much in the way of customization for it. You can get the rubber, rosewood and pearl grips from Taurus, and a few other shops online for varying prices. If you hunt enough you might be able to get someone to fabricate a set for you at a decent price, or you can opt to add on one of those Hogue wrap-arounds. There was only 1 aftermarket magazine maker (ProMag) that provides both 8 and 10 round clips; and most places are back ordered on the parts both online and in local shops.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've got one and I'm a happy camper with my PT-945. It's a '94 I think with the angled snoot and I love to shoot it. I can actually hit what I am aiming at! Makes my 2A look good too.

Since we were looking at holsters, I thought I would finally get the camera and figure out how to post some pics. My first holster was the Fobus RU-97 and I still use that sometimes when I need a paddle but I prefer a level 2 retention "Click" rather than the Fobus' passive retention "Clack". I have a Supertuck for some goofy Glock that fits fine for CC but I have hot-rodded a Serpa for my EDC as I OC often. The CQC is smooth and safe, conceals fairly well and I got it for $20 used... So I spend $90 on a belt... Jeeze.

Now I can fix million dollar phone systems but I've never posted a single pic. Like it's hard... Anyways, here we go with pics 101...

Naked (empty) working gun.

Modeling the modified level 2 Serpa CQC retention holster for the Sig 228/229. It's what all the fashionable OCers are using this year...

Here's the retention clip modification. Just some work with the dremel and a grinder tip. The big hole is for access to the actual clip which I had to shape to match the trigger guard. Fits like a glove now and drops in with a reassuring "Click"...

And here's the inside grinding. Looks much worse in the pic than in reality. Just go slow and take little bites, test it, another bite, and so on until it's right.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a guy give me 5 old USA magazines for a PT945 are these things crap or are they decent? I don't think they are in business any more but wondered if I could make these better with other springs or followers any advice would be appreciated. KM

·
Registered
619 Posts
The biggest issue I have found with usa mags, they just don't fit. Wouldn't slide in, and if they did, you had to pull them out. This was on several models. . Never tried any for the 945,, so can't comment there,,

·
Administrator
17,895 Posts
This is one instance where ProMag magazines will work well. I've used both ProMags 8 rounders and 10 rounders. I prefer their 8 rounders and the 10 rounders seem kind of awkward as they hang out the bottom of the gun an inch or so. No longer have the PT945. Traded it for my .45 24/7 OSS.

Nice Holster work, Montkun!!! Very good info!

Gopher said:
I loved mine but it hammer bit the hell out of me. I would love to try another one with the grip sleeves they have now. It might change my grip enough to keep the hammer from getting me. Otherwise a great gun.
+1 ! My PT945 would also bite me quite often, which was another factor in my trading it, and the Hogue Handall Slip on Grip I installed on it was no help, but I do still recommend it, as it made the grip much more comfortable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice guns fellas! Been thinking about one of these myself. Looks like I might have to get serious about it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Maybe I'm stupid, but then again I've never fondled a PT945 but with that beavertail there how can it bite you?? Is the hammer longer than the BT??

·
Administrator
17,895 Posts
BW64 said:
Is the hammer longer than the BT??
Yes. The Spur extends past it by about 3/8's of an inch which can nail the top of your hand during the top of recoil cycle, That and I tend to use a high grip on most all of my Semi-Auto Pistols which contributed to my problem with it. I also have large hands. In my pic posted, I had installed a polymer cushion on the underside of the beavertail in an effort to keep the top of my hand a bit lower on the grip. This helped considerably, but did not eliminate the problem. Was thinking about a slight hammer bob via my dremel, but along came a hammerless .45 24/7 OSS I wanted very very badly, and the PT945 was history. Needed the trade $$.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that so many people have caught hammer bite off the 945. I have pretty large hands myself, and haven't had a single problem with it. The slide on my Polish P-64 would catch me every now and then if I was careless, but that's a much smaller gun by comparison. When I carry that, my ring finger sits on the grip of the clip and my pinky is curled below it to prevent new grooves being worn in the web of my hand.

About the only problem I have with my 945 is I can't shoot it left handed, which isn't too big a deal since I'm a righty. Since the magazine release is right in line with my trigger finger, I can only squeeze off 2 rounds at the most before I have to pick the clip up off the ground. My P-64 on the other hand releases behind the mag, so unless you're extremely fast in releasing it, there really isn't much in the way of quick-fire beyond the 6+1 with that gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys...
I'm a brand new 945 owner (sold a RIA .45 compact). I think I have an older one ... know very little about it. The SN is NPH 15XXX...anyone know when this was made? It has some scratches but it's in really good shape overall. My question... I'm a lefty and know that you can move the mag release on the polymer guns to the other side...can that be done with this? Also...any advice on inexpensive OWB holsters for CC? Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got a great price on a "used" one about two weeks ago, though it apparently had not been shot. It is great. Perfect reliability. I was also glad to find that it shoots point of aim and is very accurate. I've wanted one for a long time and finally came into this one on Gunbroker. I wasn't sure if it was ported when I bought it. I was glad to find that it isn't. It has no safety lock in the back of the grip (thankfully) and it has the serrations on the top of the slide. Can anyone give me an estimate of when it might have been made? I think you'll like yours lots. I love it. Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts