Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I just recently acquired a used PT 945. I really like the gun - especially the DA/SA trigger setup and ability to carry "condition one" as I previously owned a Colt Combat Commander for several years.

Anywho...I go to the range yesterday to try out my new baby only to find out that I have a couple of hurdles ahead of me. First off, the gun shoots 6-8" low at a range of 15 yards. This was repeated throughout my shooting session with 2 shooters (using 230 gr. FMJ standard velocity ammo). I did not try anything other than 230 gr. ammo, because that is the bullet weight I use for practice and defense loads. Of course, I haven't been able to locate adjustable sights listed anywhere for a 945 so far. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem, and whether Taurus might be able to correct it if I send the gun in for repair - or if another (reasonably priced) solution might exist? ???

The second issue is that all the recovered brass had evidence of "primer wipe". I know this can't be good for the firing pin as it was not designed for lateral loading. Is this indicative of a design flaw, or is this normal for these guns? Does my gun have a serious problem, or should I ignore it? Would new springs help? Heavier springs? ???

On the bright side, the gun did not fail to feed, fire, or eject a single time. ;D I really like the feel of the gun, and hope to make it my primary defense gun.

Any suggestions or assistance with these issues will be greatly appreciated!

Please help me get my baby shooting straight ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies! I appreciate any and all assistance.

I feel somewhat relieved to hear that "primer wipe" is a fairly common issue. I'll try to ignore it unless it gets worse.

As far as the gun shooting low, maybe I should have elaborated more on the shooting session. I was shooting SA only. I am accustomed to the recoil of handguns (especially .45 ACP) and I don't feel that the low POI was due to flinching in this case. More than once I put the 945 down and fired a 5-shot string from my Beretta 92 POA=POI every time. I also fired my .357 magnum during the range session; again, POA=POI. My 945 has the factory non-adjustable 3-dot sights with the large front dot - every shot fired was hitting 6-8" low from POA with SA pull. My buddy had the same results with the gun consistantly. Perhaps these sights are not setup for 230 gr. standard velocity ammo. I would much prefer a solution that will allow me to stick with 230 gr. ball for practice and 230 gr. SXT for defense, but I will try some 185 gr. Golden Sabers on my next trip to the range. I also noticed that the brass was being ejected 12-15' from the gun - perhaps a new recoil spring is needed? Again, I was firing standard velocity hardball ammo, not +P or +P+...

One good thing I noticed is that I had no issues whatsoever with "hammer bite". :)

I have read a couple of threads here about installing fiber optic front sights on Taurus pistols. Anyone done this on a PT 945? If I could find the right one that is shorter than the factory sight, my troubles would likely be over. What about the trijicon night sights? Anyone have experience with them? Do they change (raise) the POI?

Thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.