Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Taurus PT945 SS (factory ported), this my first gun and I'm quite puzzled about the use of such ports. Sadly positioned that it keeps my front sights covered with a good amount of lead after a number reload rounds. Liked this baby, it looks nice and shoots well enough if compared to my friend's pistols.

Can anybody tell me what are this ports best made for?

Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
They are designed to reduce muzzle flip, and apparently work quite well. I've only fired a ported .40 cal. Glock that was ported. Shot very nicely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Smokewagon. 8). They made it better and easier to handle but the problem is, the ports blackens the sights after a quite number of rounds. I also had issues FTF using lower loads, I guess the ports also contributed with FTF. Using higher loads now and the just shoots nice but had to wipe off the front sights between a number of rounds.

Thanks again...

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
You might keep some hoppes #9 and a Q-tip with you at the range, you could clean off the sight when it starts getting too fouled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My pt 945 ate 250 rounds at the range today without any problem, just needed to clean my front sights from dirt and a sheen of lead. Thanks for tips, I'll try those next trip to the range.

·
Registered
202 Posts
can you compare the size of a 900 series to a mil pro? Just wondering if it is an easily concealable gun? I love the looks of them but don't want it to be too big.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried a few of rounds magtech guardian gold +P 230 grain JHP at the range today, then discovered my pt945 had FTF with +P ammo. I was planning have this as my carry ammo and tried if its dependable as I will be depending my life with it, then realized it didn't work very well.

Just wondering if... Is it the ports causing the FTF or the gun itself not made for +P ammo?
How did +P ammo works with your Taurus?

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
You know, the PT145 is a short barrelled gun anyway - the porting may be causing the gun to not cycle properly. What is the exact issue you're having, where it fails to fire/load/eject ?

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
warmsilver said:
Just wondering if... Is it the ports causing the FTF or the gun itself not made for +P ammo?
How did +P ammo works with your Taurus?
When I had a PT945 (recently traded for a 24/7 OSS .45) it had no problems at all with +P Ammunition, but I did prefer to use standard pressure 185 grn JHP's in it, and I kept it loaded with Remington Gold Sabre or CCI Gold Dot JHP's. Mine however, was a standard model and not ported.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
texastaurusguy said:
You know, the PT145 is a short barrelled gun anyway - the porting may be causing the gun to not cycle properly. What is the exact issue you're having, where it fails to fire/load/eject ?
It was a failure to EJECT or EXTRACT, (my mistake there that I last wrote FTF,my apologies) it fired the round very well but shell was left in the chamber leaving the next round hanging in the magazine.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
See, it may not have enough gas left in the barrel to force the slide back to eject the round. I think you may have to consider that......it's already a short barrelled gun, and doesn't have all that much gas built up anyway - that is why bullet expansion used to be such an issue with short barrelled guns - and by porting the barrel, you're bleeding even more of the gases out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See the pic... Thanks for that enlightening ideas.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nice looking gun!

TXtaurus, I think you might be confusing PT945 with PT145, PT945 is a full size, alloy framed gun...

About the leading issue, I'm guessing this is mainly a problem with reloads. Have you thought about switching to copper plated or FMJ bullets? That should solve/reduce the problem.

I also had issues FTF using lower loads, I guess the ports also contributed with FTF.
Feeding probelms or extraction problems can happen with underpowered ammo - it's not uncommon! and likely not a porting issue (if it doesn't happen with with full power ammo)

Regarding the FTE's it's hard to say...I would recommand trying a couple other boxes of ammo and see how they work. Looks like the porting starts an about an inch in the rifling, generally they are closer to the muzze. (I wonder what kinds velocity loss it causes -ever had a chance to chrony it?) It might be that it looses too much gas pressure to cycle the slide. That particular ammo might be using a slow burning powder which work best in longer barrels... I was to reload for the gun I'd be using a fast burning powder; that way the bullet will be going faster by the time it hits the holes and gases start escaping. With slow burning powders pressure builds up more gradually.

It's a cool gun, but for IMO for ported gun is not a best choice for CCW. Nothing to do with reliability, just that if you fire the gun in the dark the flame will obscure the target and/or blind you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts