Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a PT-940 in stainless with no rail. I have located a dealer that has a few of the PT-940 with rail in the blue/black finish. So my question is, how difficult of a task would I be under taking if I were to try to do a take down and intermix some of the parts. Kind of like a puzzle. I would like to swap out the slides, trigger, slide release, magazine release, safety decocker, and lock back button and lever. In the end I whould like to have two different duo-tone PT-40 pistols.
I have never taken any semi auto down past a field strip and clean level, so I don't want to end up with two non-functional pisols when I finish the puzzle. Also, do you see any reason Taurus would not honor the warranty due to this being done?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
The only difference in parts SHOULD be the fact that the rail is on the front of one. I doubt many of the internals changed much at all over the years, since it's based off the PT-92 lower. If you really think about it, you could really get away with just a slide swap and make them look pretty cool and not screw with the internals at all.

As far as the warranty goes, that would again tell me to just do a slide swap and see if it works out for you. That way should either actually break, you can send it in without telling them a thing.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel sure that the parts will all interchange, my concern is more of, how difficult is it to strip down and remove the parts and then get it all back together into two working firearms. Am I Looking at getting into a bunch of small screw, springs that can present me with large poblems? Or is this a fairly simple task with little risk of screwing up?
Anyone have a great link to a video or directions that even a big handed monkey could get this done?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I feel sure that the parts will all interchange, my concern is more of, how difficult is it to strip down and remove the parts and then get it all back together into two working firearms. Am I Looking at getting into a bunch of small screw, springs that can present me with large poblems? Or is this a fairly simple task with little risk of screwing up?
Anyone have a great link to a video or directions that even a big handed monkey could get this done?
Yeah, the small springs in the trigger, safety, and slide lock would scare me from taking down the lowers. I would just swap slides and make the stainless barrel and guide rod go in the black slide and have the black barrel and guide under the stainless slide. Those would look awesome under the port slot.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I imagine if you attempted the project and then got lost in the reconstruction, a gunsmith would do a reassemble for you for a nominal charge. Of course, you'd have to endure the ribbing they'd give you.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased this PT-92 on GB and am awaiting delivery as of today.
Taurus P92 like Beretta 92 and Beretta M9 .9mm : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
I thought since I already have a SS PT-940, if I purchased a black PT-940 I could make mirror copies, well kind a mirrored...reversed color anyway. I know it would look a little different since the PT940 barrel is not exposed as it is on the PT92.
I do have a Smith that could fix whatever I screw up, I would rather pass on trying it, than have a good idea I am about to screw up. One thing I hate worse than a screw up, is paying to unscrew it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts