Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the range aftere putting 200 rounds through my new 92. I really like this gun! Fits my hands well and even I can hit the broad side of a barn with it. Seriously this is one fine weapon, well built and very easy to shoot. No FTF or FTE in the first 200. Used Winchester 115 gr from Wally world. No ammo issues at all unlike the brand "F" I have been using in my M&P 40. With the Winchester ammo, the rcoil was very minimal and easy to control right handed. As I always shoot at least 1 mag left handed, I could feel the recoil a little more on that side.
Overall I am very pleased with my new gun. I think I'll keep it! Thanks to all who said it was a fine gun and were also happy with their's. The folks here are great and lots of good info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
According to gun author Stephen Camp (website-Hipowers and Handguns) the PT92 has the added advantage of being almost impossible to limpwrist. Checkout his article, he calls the PT92 a bestbuy for 9mms.

·
Administrator
18,087 Posts
Glad you're happy with your new PT92! ;D Long may it serve you well!

Have one I bought new in July of 1992. Some 23,000 rounds (many IPSC matches) thru it and it's still shooting very very well! It's been my primary combat pistol and still serves that capacity. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Los Adaes said:
According to gun author Stephen Camp (website-Hipowers and Handguns) the PT92 has the added advantage of being almost impossible to limpwrist. Checkout his article, he calls the PT92 a bestbuy for 9mms.
He says the magazine release is NOT ambidextrous. My owner's manual and my experience of switching it indicates otherwise. It may be his older model that doesn't have such capability. My gun is new and is, indeed, ambidextrous when it comes to mag release. Have fun trying to switch it!

·
Administrator
18,087 Posts
Depends upon what your definition of the word "ambidextrous" is. Mr. Camp may have meant that the Magazine Release could not have been operated by either hand, without modification.

All PT92's, with the Magazine Release by the rear of the Trigger Guard, may be switched for Left hand use. This was a feature of the newer Magazine Release when the Magazine Release was moved from the lower back of the Grip Heal to it's present location. Some Magazines still have the older Magazine Release Cutouts for the older PT92's, even though the older design is long out of production. The Magazine Release is also switchable, in the same manner, on the other Metallic Framed Taurus Pistols.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's a good point.

The decocking lever is ambidextrous as it can be used by either left or right handed shooters without modification. I see what you mean.

Perhaps he might have stated the magazine release is modifiable as it can be moved to either side of the frame. That way it avoids the use of the word ambidextrous.

·
Registered
73 Posts
JRShaw said:
No FTF or FTE in the first 200.
Don't expect that to change over the next 20,000! I think you could put a marble in a PT92 and it'd shoot. I've had mine since the late 80's and LOVE it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
prickett said:
Don't expect that to change over the next 20,000! I think you could put a marble in a PT92 and it'd shoot. I've had mine since the late 80's and LOVE it.
Great news! Thanks for your experience with your PT92. I think I'm going to go to the range today and punch some more holes in paper.

Jim

·
Registered
246 Posts
There's Jim! I was looking for your range report on your original thread.

Good gun, huh?

ECS

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Glad to hear you're as pleased with your purchase as you are. I don't think I've ever spoken to an unhappy PT92 owner -- ever. :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ECS;
Yes it is a very good gun. No issues with it so far and from what I have been reading here and other forums, that is pretty much standard fare for this model. Very happy with it!! Probably gonna use it for my CCW range time this Saturday.

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought my PT92 used and I've put several thousand more through it as well. It'll shoot dry, wet, oiled, dirty, limpwristed, firmly squeezed, you name it. If the trigger will move, it'll go bang.

May it serve you well...

Preacher Man

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The more I shoot it, the more I really like it. Fits my hand so nicely and I can even hit the broad side of a barn. Very accurate weapon.

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts