Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to buy a new pistol in a few months and am trying to decide between a stainless 92 9mm or a 24/7 OSS in 40. I would like to become involved in IDPA but have not shot a match yet. The gun probably would not be routinely carried. I have not shot a 92 or a 24/7 in any variety yet. Both seem impresive. Any thoughts? By the way I know the 24/7 OSS isn't out yet.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Get the 92. When the OSS comes get an OSS. I have a PT 92 and am waiting for the OSS-DC45 to become available, although I want it in black. "Double your pleasure, double you fun."
PT92's are available on line for under $400. ( in blue)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'm awaiting the OSS version myself, as I'm sure many others are as well. The PT92 is simply fantastic, period. It's my all-time favorite pistol, though I *almost* like the PT1911 as much now.

I don't have huge hands but they're not small either. The PT92 fits me fine, though I've heard some with smaller hands say it's difficult for them to obtain a good grip. I did replace the factory plastic grips with Hogues which increased the 'nice' factor yet again.

The pistol performs well, and is more accurate than I am. With it, I've never experienced a failure to feed or eject and only one failure to fire. The FTFire was the result of a dud round and not the fault of the gun. Hicaps are also realtively inexpensive for the PT92 series and I've picked up some 17 rd. MecGars for mine off Cheaper than Dirt in the past.

Simply put, it's an extremely well built pistol with a good overall finish. Taurus could mark the price up $100 more and you'd still get a bargain when buying it, IMO.

Here is my PT92AR:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like your idea drummin man, though I don't think I could convince my wife. Taurus_9mm those are beautiful grips. The blued version looks nice but the bluing on my PT1911 is wearing way to prematurely and my concern is if I bought a 92 that the bluing would wear as quickly. How long have you had yours? How many rounds? It looks really good. I wonder if they use a different finish for their 92's. I have only heard good about the 92. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Buy 2 PT92's and give one to your wife... then later buy the 24/7 OSS ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
GGSTM,

I just tried finding the receipt but was unsuccessful. IIRC, I purchased it in early 2004. Since then I've put roughly 5K - 6K rounds through it in my guesstimation. The majority of those rounds -- probably 90% -- have been WWB, S&B and Blazer though I've shot some other brands though it as well.

I admit I do baby the PT92, not that it likely needs babying, but I treat all my firearms that way. :) The finish is holding up quite nicely too as you noted. At the time I was debating between the blued and ss versions but thought the blued represented a more classical look so I opted for it. If I ever get a .40 S&W, I'm getting a stainless PT100 or PT101 however, just for something different. I've even thought about getting the PT100 with the gold accents and mother-of-pearl faux grips. :)

The Hogue grips I purchased off Ebay for less than $15 I believe and under $20 with S&H. If you go with the PT92, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

As an aside, I'm a wheelgunner at heart but lately have been shooting bottom feeders more frequently. The PT92 and the PT1911 are very addictive, as I'm sure you can attest to with yours. :)

Best Wishes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ya just can't go wrong with a PT-92. If you really want a .40, why don't you go with the PT-100 or 101? They're just as sexy as the 92! I'm not a big fan of the 24/7 - I don't find them aesthetically pleasing, but other's swear by them. To each his own, I guess! :)

Here's my PT92-AFS-SS with Pachmayr Grips to help you decide:

**EDIT: Fixed image resolution...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Viras, that thing is sexy...I think you may have convinced me!

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Great Pic, viras! Love those Pachmayr grips! Will have to get a set for my PT92.

In my experience, the PT92 design has proven itself to be a very Accurate, reliable, and durable, workhorse of a gun. Have some 22,000 rounds thru mine!

The PT100, the .40 caliber version of the PT92, also has an excellent reputation, particularly in the accuracy department! Were I shopping for a .40, that would be it!

I believe that the 24/7 OSS will be an excellent handgun as well, when it becomes available. A 24/7 of some sort is on my shopping list. (9mm or .45, Pro or OSS, and I need another gun like I need higher taxes, LOL)

·
32,788 Posts
Know to throw a monkeywrench onto the whole process. :) Kind of.

You mentioned IDPA. Either a PT100 or a PT1911 would be in order. Manual of arms and shot to shot consistency would be the reasons.

SA only or DA/SA semi-autos are the main types guns used for this branch of the sport.

Manual of arms and trigger pull for the 24/7 takes a bit more getting used to.Not that it can't be done, but DAO triggers and similar brethren take more to become proficient with.

1911s are easier to learn and shoot with for most people. Consistent single action pull for each shot.

DA first shot and then going to SA for each additional one takes some learning, but can be done with some practice.Thus the PT100.And in terms of safety there is a declocker that lowers the hammer. Nice thing to have on a gun. No manual lowering of the hammer over a live round. Slip of the hand or fingers and OOPS. Negligent discharge.

DAO triggered semi-autos are not that widely seen in most IDPA local matches.There are exceptions to this. DAO, no matter how light the trigger pull, still has similarities to pulling the trigger on a revolver. And some feel that this is not conducive to winning times or accuracy.

Doesn't mean it can't be done. IDPA has some National matches have been won at times by DAO semi-auto wielding shooters.

You may be joining IDPA more for what you can gain in shooting experience and competition isn't important at the moment and may never be. Some join to get some "tactical" experience. This is still a game. Except for shooting under pressure and using real world equipment this has no bearing on what happens in the real world gunfights.

Having said all that IDPA is just plain fun.

Have to throw this all in because this all has to be considered.
Don't know your situation so cannot say.

·
32,788 Posts
And just to add another monkey wrench, :) 9mm. is cheaper to shoot IDPA with over the larger calibers. Thus the PT92. :) :D ;D :evil: :thumb: :devil: :clap: :clap: BUUUWHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Oh, yes. Have a PT111Mil/pro and find the Ruger 95 DA/SA in 9mm. slightly easier to shoot than the PT111 Mil/pro because of the trigger pull. Only by a slim margin though.

PT92s were hard to find or order in this neck of the woods at the time. Easy know, but not back many moons ago. :)

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Manual of Arms clarification,

the 24/7 OSS is DA/SA with a "manual safety/decocker" and can also be used "cocked and locked"

the 24/7 PRO is SA/DA and can also be used "cocked and locked"

the original 24/7 is DAO with a Manual Safety

The PT92/PT100 series pistols are DA/SA with a "manual safety/decocker" that can also be used "cocked and locked"

Both the PT92/PT100 series and 24/7 OSS pistols have ambi-safety levers. The regular 24/7 and 24/7 PRO series pistols only have safety levers on the left side of the frames for right handers.

Hence, manual of arms between the PT92/PT100 series and 24/7 OSS will be pretty much the same, with the exception of decocker direction. The PT92/PT100 decocker sweeps down to decock and the 24/7 OSS sweeps up to decock. To me the downward motion is more natural for decocking, but I could live with either.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Glad to hear it Carey! How long have you had yours now? :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
jwc007 ....are you sure about the direction of the decocker on the OSS, I thought it was up for safety middle for fire and pull down for decock ???

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
MPanova said:
jwc007 ....are you sure about the direction of the decocker on the OSS, I thought it was up for safety middle for fire and pull down for decock ???
The information I have is from the review of the OSS in "The American Rifleman". According to their text, the safety moves up for "On Safe" and further up a bit more to decock, and then the Safety Lever returns to the "On Safe" position. There is no pull down for Decock as is done on the PT900 series.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
jwc007 said:
Manual of Arms clarification,

the 24/7 OSS is DA/SA with a "manual safety/decocker" and can also be used "cocked and locked"

the 24/7 PRO is SA/DA and can also be used "cocked and locked"

the original 24/7 is DAO with a Manual Safety

The PT92/PT100 series pistols are DA/SA with a "manual safety/decocker" that can also be used "cocked and locked"

Both the PT92/PT100 series and 24/7 OSS pistols have ambi-safety levers. The regular 24/7 and 24/7 PRO series pistols only have safety levers on the left side of the frames for right handers.

Hence, manual of arms between the PT92/PT100 series and 24/7 OSS will be pretty much the same, with the exception of decocker direction. The PT92/PT100 decocker sweeps down to decock and the 24/7 OSS sweeps up to decock. To me the downward motion is more natural for decocking, but I could live with either.

If you get an older model PT92 like one of mine (not the 1st ones with mag release on the butt) it has no "DECOCKER" but other wise functions exactly the same as all other PT92's. I was also thinking... (scary huh)? Beretta made a 92 that was DAO, wonder if Taurus made one too? I doubt it, but really don't know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.