Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did it ... Took a new never fired SS PT 92 apart to give it a good cleaning. Stripped the right uppers screw. Not one to let that keep me from shooting wrapped the grip with electrical tape and had a great time a the range.. What else with a 92!!!
Ordered screws and they are here.. Problem is the threads are kinda jacked up and the screw goes in at a tilt. Anyone know what tap size these are so I can try to chase the threads rather than mess up the frame???? I also got a couple of the bushings and screws like the left upper side just in case.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've done similar things with aluminum parts on motorcycles. If the metals thick enough sometimes you can fix it with a helicoil, or permacoil. They're incredible little gizmos. JAT

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
This helicoil video shows how they work. Obviously this guys using a big one, but they make them in all kinds of different sizes. 'Sides - I lak the way he tawks. I usually get the permacoils 'cause they cost less, and you can get little one size kits. I think the smallest one's I've ever replaced were 2 or 3 mm's. But with the bigger bolt it's easier to see how they work. Most important thing is to make sure you drill the hole perpendicular to the metal - which is easier to do with steel than aluminum. Never used 'em on a gun, but like my grandma used to say - a hole is a hole.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done similar things with aluminum parts on motorcycles. If the metals thick enough sometimes you can fix it with a helicoil, or permacoil. They're incredible little gizmos. JAT
Thanks.. Have used them generally on bottomed holes, never seemed to be good for a pass thru situation like the frame. Good idea... Thanks

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've used them both ways. I think the thinnest thing I used them on was for a 4mm bolt that held a carb bowl in place. The hole in the aluminum was open on both sides and about 3/16" thick, and I just clipped off the excess on the far side. It's still holding and doing the job. I'm pretty sure it will hold better than electrical tape. :rolleyes::D Just yankin' your chain - if I was in a hurry and wanted to do some shooting I might have done the same thing. If you're worried about them working through to the other side, a little red loctite before you screw it in might be in order. Or there's always a gunsmith, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't fix it the same way. You could also try epoxy in the hole, and then just tap that, but I don't think it would be near as strong. How thick is the metal where you've got the problem?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice how this solution allows you to use the same screw, rather than drilling it out and tapping it for a bigger one.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Nice how this solution allows you to use the same screw, rather than drilling it out and tapping it for a bigger one.
With grip screws you might be limited to the original screw size. Sometimes they've got little collars in the holes in the grips, and a bigger screw might not make it through. Plus it might look kind of funky. If you can fix the hole, you'll never see it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Why bother with a tap or helicoil instead of just replacing the bushing?
You know, after rereading the OP it appears the problem is with the bolt, not the hole. Am I reading that right, Harley? You do make an excellent point though, kev. A new bushing would be cheaper than a helicoil kit, and a better fix.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys here is what I have found.. I ordered bushings and screws of both sizes just in case. It appears that the hole was tapped at an angle?. Or it could be when I replaced the original screw I cross threaded it. When I tried a new screw and a bushing they also followed at an angle. This morning I ran to the home depot and bought a small metric tap and die set. Using the 5M I carefully chased the thread making sure i was straight at it. Installed a new screw making sure it was straight also. Problem SOLVED.

Thanks for all the input.. Sometimes just hashing it over clears things up. I just didnt want to send it on a vacation over something so small.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Ok guys here is what I have found.. I ordered bushings and screws of both sizes just in case. It appears that the hole was tapped at an angle?. Or it could be when I replaced the original screw I cross threaded it. When I tried a new screw and a bushing they also followed at an angle. This morning I ran to the home depot and bought a small metric tap and die set. Using the 5M I carefully chased the thread making sure i was straight at it. Installed a new screw making sure it was straight also. Problem SOLVED.

Thanks for all the input.. Sometimes just hashing it over clears things up. I just didnt want to send it on a vacation over something so small.
Oh suuuure. Do it the easy way. :D Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: dbeardslee
1 - 12 of 12 Posts