Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched a utube vid on beretta 92fs extracter maintenance and was simple to do. The extracter was full of crud and filthy. All he did was hold extracter and push pin out through top then pull off extracter and spring. Clean and reverse install. Anyone tried this on the PT 92 ? He suggests every 500 or so rounds to do this on the beretta. I did on my sig and it was filthy. Haven't done the Taurus but can imaging how dirty it is!

·
Administrator
18,180 Posts
Never had to, but I did remove the Extractor to Remove and Replace my Firing Pin Spring at around 17,000 rounds. My practice, when cleaning, is to Flush the Slide out with Disc Brake Cleaner or Gun Scrubber. At that 17,000 round level, when I disassembled the Slide, I found the internals completely clean, which surprised me. BTW, my PT92 has about 23,000 rounds thru it.

I just aim the Disc Brake Cleaner Straw into/against the Slide Boltface Firing Pin Hole and spray. The eeeeevil Gunk and excess spray will come shooting out the Extractor area, so aim it accordingly. ;)

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 9th that's the vid. Was trying to figure how to post it. Not sure if taurus PT 92 is the same. My Sig is easy to clean and is just as loaded with carbon, etc as the rest of the gun after every range trip. Looks like it will take a little effort to get the pin out first time. Anyone else have any experience with this on the PT 92 ?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have never took an extractor out I have always used crc brakleen (red can) and sprayed the whole area down (with the slide off,)re lubed and put away,same with my long guns.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I have over 30,000 rounds on mt older PT92. The extractor has never been off of the gun, but I follow the practice of using aerosol cleaners into that area. After it dries, a quick spritz of Tetra Light Lube, and back into service it goes.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Ok I tried it last night using a 1/16" punch to tap the pin out as shown. All went well till I tried to remove the pin and never did get it to come out. Didn't want to force so simply let it stick up and went on and cleaned it well which it needed. Now putting it back together it didn't want to do more than just grab the start of the extractor and stop. So I tapped out enough to remove it all and looked closely at it and say what the problem was the firing pin assembly had shifted partially out the back of the gun. So I held it in with my finger as I also held the extractor in place and the pin slipped in with a light tap and little else. As to why the pin one come completely out I have no idea on my gun at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great, glad it went ok. Now that you've done it and know how and saw how dirty it was would you pull the extractor again to clean or was it too much hassle ? I'm starting to have some extracting problems and taurus wants me to send it in to ck extractor. I'm reluctant to give it up for who knows how long if a cleaning may fix it. He told me spent cartridges should come out at 4 o'clock , mine go straight up and other directions rarely 4 . Also fail to extract causing double feed. Did flush through firing pin hole and got some crud out. Will test at range tomorrow . Thanks for replys.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Great, glad it went ok. Now that you've done it and know how and saw how dirty it was would you pull the extractor again to clean or was it too much hassle ? I'm starting to have some extracting problems and taurus wants me to send it in to ck extractor. I'm reluctant to give it up for who knows how long if a cleaning may fix it. He told me spent cartridges should come out at 4 o'clock , mine go straight up and other directions rarely 4 . Also fail to extract causing double feed. Did flush through firing pin hole and got some crud out. Will test at range tomorrow . Thanks for replys.
Actually after seeing how much junk had built up in there I think I will after every 1000 or so rounds through it. I always spray through the firing pin hole with gun scrubber when cleaning. As I said I couldn't get the pin to come out on mine all the way but it did move enough to remove the extractor without problem. So I won't force it out at this time and see if over time it becomes easier to remove the pin completely.

Reactions: Redwoodbg

·
Registered
221 Posts
Never had to, but I did remove the Extractor to Remove and Replace my Firing Pin Spring at around 17,000 rounds. My practice, when cleaning, is to Flush the Slide out with Disc Brake Cleaner or Gun Scrubber. At that 17,000 round level, when I disassembled the Slide, I found the internals completely clean, which surprised me. BTW, my PT92 has about 23,000 rounds thru it.

I just aim the Disc Brake Cleaner Straw into/against the Slide Boltface Firing Pin Hole and spray. The eeeeevil Gunk and excess spray will come shooting out the Extractor area, so aim it accordingly. ;)
I am having extractor problems also with FTE. I thoughts was not a good thing to spray into the firing pin hole. But will give it a try tomorrow unless someone says not to do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I sprayed the extractor from inside the slide and thru the firing pin hole. Some black gunk did come out. Ran a about 10 snap caps thru the gun and it worked okay. Went to an IDPA match this afternoon. 90+ rounds fired and no FTE!!! Definitely will spray ah cleaning!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Never thought about doing this... Thanks for the info and the walkthrough vid. About to try it on my 92AF and my 92FS. This thread actually made me join the forum. This is my first post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I just got done removing 1 mm of what looked to be caked gunpowder from the inside of the AF's extractor thanks to this thread. Now, there is a difference between the Ber 92 FS and the Tau 92 AF extractor retention pins... Taurus extractor retention pin is fully cylindrical, same size straight down its shaft while the Beretta extractor retention pin is mushroom or nail shaped... It has a flat head. Expect the Taurus' firing pin to probably fall out once the extractor is removed. Putting it back in isn't that much of a deal. Overall I'm happy I did this.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I just got done removing 1 mm of what looked to be caked gunpowder from the inside of the AF's extractor thanks to this thread. Now, there is a difference between the Ber 92 FS and the Tau 92 AF extractor retention pins... Taurus extractor retention pin is fully cylindrical, same size straight down its shaft while the Beretta extractor retention pin is mushroom or nail shaped... It has a flat head. Expect the Taurus' firing pin to probably fall out once the extractor is removed. Putting it back in isn't that much of a deal. Overall I'm happy I did this.
Did you tap the pin out from inside of the slide? I tried with a punch and it did not move. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
18,180 Posts
Did you tap the pin out from inside of the slide? I tried with a punch and it did not move. Any suggestions?
The common practice is to drive the Pin holding the Extractor from the bottom of the Slide. My practice is to hit the Retention Pin just enough so it lets the Extractor loose, yet still sticking out the top of the Slide. For ReAssembly I use a Slave Pin (an appropriately sized Drill Bit will do ) to hold everything in place while I drive the Retention Pin back in.

But again I digress, this is unnecessary for regular maintenance. The Disc Brake Cleaner can remove all of the Gunk. Please note that proper re-Lubrication must be done after use of the Brake Cleaner.

Reactions: Olivier
1 - 20 of 23 Posts