Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
some on here tell me the decocker lever should spring back up after you use it..mine stays in place,it actually clicks down when you use it to decock the hammer and stays there until you manually click it back to the position to fire the gun,,the gun seems fine but was told this is not right possible,,any info on this ?it was made in 91 according to the serial#

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Mine's a newer model, with the great rail on the underside of it. My decocker springs up after being pressed to decock.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine does the same as Shokr21.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I took some pics to show you exactly what mine does since our lowers are essentially the same (no rail). The chamber was cleared and magazine removed before any pictures were taken

Cocked & Locked

Cocked & Unlocked

Decocking with finger on lever at lowest point

Decocked with safety returned after releasing fingers

I hope you don't think we're getting on you about your 92, we just want to make sure your shooting experience with it is not only enjoyable, but safe as well. The last thing you should have to physically move back into position manually on the gun is that decocker. But given that it was made in 1991, it would be a Generation 2 PT92 with the first decocker system installed on it. Maybe....just maybe there's a small chance the original decockers did operate with a manual movement of the lever, but something deep down tells me that there's a return srping in the frame that probably shot across the room one day at your buddy's house. Give Taurus CS a call and see what they say. You might have to ask them to pose the question to a tech in the back to make sure you get the correct information. Otherwise, it's gonna need to take a vacation to Miami for repair.

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
Could be that your Decocker Return Spring is broken or non-existant. The early Decocker Return Springs, which yours probably has is a semi-coil Spring that rides the Shaft of your Pistols Safety. My PT92 was made in 1992 and has the same one. You can get a Replacement Spring from Taurus or just manually decock your Pistol and the lever will then NOT go down into another Safe Mode. Your Decocker Return Spring changes out by removing the left side Safety Lever, which in turn is removed by driving out it's retention pin.

Newer PT92's have a frame cutout for a round leaf spring that is easier to change out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be that your Decocker Return Spring is broken or non-existant. The early Decocker Return Springs, which yours probably has is a semi-coil Spring that rides the Shaft of your Pistols Safety. My PT92 was made in 1992 and has the same one. You can get a Replacement Spring from Taurus or just manually decock your Pistol and the lever will then NOT go down into another Safe Mode. Your Decocker Return Spring changes out by removing the left side Safety Lever, which in turn is removed by driving out it's retention pin.

Newer PT92's have a frame cutout for a round leaf spring that is easier to change out.

when you decock the hammer you push the lever down it clicks and the hammer decocks and then you push the lever back up and it clicks again and stays in position an the gun can be fired,,it seems like a spring would not pull it back up as you feel the click like its going into a notch,,I am not saying that it doesnt take a spring it just doesnt feel like a spring would do it,,I do appreciate all the replies as I know nothing about this particular gun and no ones offending me with there responses,,I welcome all the input, and I will be calling about it and checking on this to see if a spring is required and I will see about removing the left side Safety Lever, an remove the retention pin to see what I can find out

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also posted this on your other thread, your Taurus is fine.

I knew if I look long and hard enough I would find proof that there is nothing wrong with these pistols. I also collect Beretta pistols and own the book "Modern Beretta Firearms" by Gene Gangarosa Jr. On page 218 he talks about the then new Taurus PT92AF-D and the new three position safety "he could decock the hammer and leave the safety lever fully down for a double action first shot (after pushing the safety lever back up to the fire position); or he could could decock the hammer, pushing the safety lever back up immediately to its middle positon for a double-action first shot."

I knew I was not loosing my mind and that the first stainless PT92AF-D that I owned did not return to the fire position on it's own. I had also been told that a spring was broken in these pistols and I could not find any such spring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 1991 PT92 SS AF-D and it does not "return to fire position" I bought it used a long time ago and it was always this way and has seen numerous rounds with no issues, so I agree, there is nothing wrong with yours

·
Registered
137 Posts
I posted this very same question last year about my PT-99, which was also made in 1991.

I sent my pistol back to Taurus twice to see if it could be "fixed," but both times it came back with "no action necessary" on the receipt, and no further explanation.

Geneh405's explanation and quote from the book by Gene Gangarosa Jr. gives me great comfort. I now know that my pistol is not broken.

Warm regards,

Drew

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
Geneh405's explanation and quote from the book by Gene Gangarosa Jr. gives me great comfort. I now know that my pistol is not broken.
Could also be that the very early PT92 Decocker Models had no return spring. My 1992 PT92 did have a Return Spring that broke, but I replaced it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts