Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be a need for a PT92 Info thread, as we get people asking about PT92 variations and factory updates from time to time, so I’m going to sticky this for easy access. 8)

PT 92 - (1980 -present) 9mm, fixed sights
PT 99 - (1982 -present) 9mm, adjustable rear sight
PT 100 - (1991 -present) .40S&W, fixed rear sights
PT 101 - (1992 -present) .40S&W, adjustable rear sights
PT 91 - (1989-19??) .41 Action Express version of PT92
PT 92 C - (1991 -1996 ) Compact version of PT92
PT 917 - (200? -present) 9mm version of PT92 with full size frame and a compact slide (similar to Beretta's Centurion model)
PT101P - PT101 Plus, same as PT101 but with different larger capacity magazines.

AF - (1985 -present) Ambidextrous Safety model of PT92/99 with Firing pin block. Also, magazine release button was relocated from the bottom of the grip to the current behind the trigger guard position.

AF-S (1991 -present) Stainless slide and matching alloy frame version of "AF"

AF-D (1991 -present) Three position manual safety/de-cocker version of “AF”. (Current designation for all PT92 variants). Note: marked simply "AF"

AF-D (1991-1997) DAO version of PT92, no safety/ decocker lever (LEO only model)

AR - (200? -present) Accessory Rail version of PT92/99/100/101. Note: not all guns are marked AR

Security key-lock system was added in 2000.

If I missed anything important, or got something wrong let me know...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ok im confused, i have a AFS with rail so should'nt it be marked a AR?

also the new production AF have decockers so should'nt they be marked AF-D?

lastly how could there be two models both named AF-D one a decocker the other DAO LE model?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a Model PT 101 AFS.... it was manufactured in 1993 and it HAS the decocker function....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok im confused, i have a AFS with rail so should'nt it be marked a AR?
Looks like not all Accessory rail models are marked AR. But I know for sure t hat some DO have "AR" designation after "PT 92". I'm guessing because you can use 92 slide on either railed or non railed frame they decided to make just one slide...

Also, if you check the user manual (p29?), current PT92 decocker models are in fact called AF-D. Not sure why they don't have it writen on the slides...Perhaps because the slide is still the same as in pre-decocker models (only frame is different!) and they're still using old slides, or maybe they just didn't bother adding a new letter?

schr8er2000, nothing unusual about that...:)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ok well i'll take your word for it since i've not seen any marked AR or AF-D

but that still leaves the question of how can you have two different models with the same designation? AF-D decocker, AF-D DAO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get a pt92 WITHOUT the accessory rail? I haven't seen one in ages. They all seem to have the ugly damned thing.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
you'll have to either settle for a used one or find someone who still has one nib, perhaps some old mom and pop gun shops might have some old stock.

it's been years so doubtful you'll find one in the shops.

you could try gunbroker.com or a gun show.

all new production guns have the rail, also if you for what ever reason need to send your older 92 in and they need to replace the frame it's almost certain you will get a railed frame back.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
beretta's are nice, i like the look with the rail as well.. but i got over it.
it a beretta to fondle and a taurus to shoot.. i shoot my taurus a lot more then my beretta these days, has a life time warranty and i like the safety better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Coltonator,

I just got a no rail stainless 92 for a good price. I don't care for the rail either. You can find a good condition pt92 for $275 to $325 depending on condition, # & type of mags, if it has factory stuff on Gunbroker.com I think bud's gun shop still has some with no rail, but comes with 10 rounders. www.budsgunshop.com.

Good luck!
CSTripp

coltonator said:
Aw shucks. maybe I'll just have to opt for the Beretta if I can't find one.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
intersting, was they designated AR for early models when the rail was first added?
or perhaps different part of the world?

do you know where and when that gun was bought?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
intersting, was they designated AR for early models when the rail was first added?
or perhaps different part of the world?

do you know where and when that gun was bought?
That is a picture from our gallery and was posted by another mod- Taurus_9mm he's from KY IIRC, and I assume it's his gun....

My guess is that they had the markings on early Rail models, but dropped it so they can use the same slides on both railed and non railed 92's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a PT99AF this morning at an estate auction. I got it home and started to disassemble when the recoil spring got away from me. I think there is a follower/guide that slips inside the spring that took off for places unknown in the garage. Where can I find insturctions including diagrams for disassembly. I know, this is closing the door after the horse is out.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
PRoviding the guts on the 99 are the same as on the 92 (which I think they are), there should be a guide rod inside the spring. Looks like a normal metal rod about 3.5 inches long with a flange on one end for seating into the locking block (the other end will be rounded off). Other than that the internals (for a normal field strip) are just the barrel, spring and locking block, all of which spring fit into the slide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks -

I went to the Taurus web page and now know what it looks like. Now to find it in the garage. It might be easier to order a new one. :???:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

basically only 5 parts on the upper unless you gonna detail strip it.

slide, barrel, locking block (blocking block will usually stay with the barrel), guide rod, and recoil spring.

for reference taurus pt-92,99,100,101, and 917 all strip the same way, this is also the same for beretta 92,96,98 models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I HAVE THE 917CSWHICH IS S.S.WITH THE RAIL, AND IT IS HARD TO FIND ANY INFO ON THE WEAPON, TAURUS DOESNT EVEN SHOW IT ON THEIR WEBSITE. THEY SAID IT IS NEW AND THEIR SITE HASNT BEEN UPDATED YET.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
917 is same as the 92/99 only difference is it has a shorter slide,barrel,guide rod, and recoil spring.. this makes the gun about a inch - inch and half shorter.

the lower is completely the same.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts