Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read this in several places, but thought that I'd consult you guys before I even attempt it. I have a Taurus PT92 (9mm) and I've been told that I can swap out the barrel and mag for .40S&W parts and be able to swap back and forth between 9mm and .40. I can get a .40 barrel for $70 and a .40 mag for $30. Is this true? Does this simple conversion work, or have I been trolled?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't think that will work. I don't think the extractor on the 9mm will accommodate the wider diameter base of the .40 S&W cartridge. If it does, you risk damaging your extractor.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I know with my pt911 I can swap out the pt940 slide, barrel, and guide rod and mag and it works fine. I picked up the slide, barrel and rod on ebay for 100 bucks its like getting a 40 for next to nothing. Im not as familiar with the pt100 or 101 but possibly a complete slide assembly from one would fit on your 92. Dont take my word on that its just a thought.

·
Administrator
18,180 Posts
To convert your PT92 to .40 S&W, you will NEED a PT100 Slide and Barrel, as the PT92's 9mm Boltface is cut for the smaller 9x19mm case head.
Usually, by the time you've spent $$$ for all the parts you need, you've spent enough to buy a good used PT100.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Why would anyone want to do this?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Why would anyone want to do this?
I can understand why, but I don't know what's exactly involved in changing over..

It gives you flexibility in ammo, especially during our current ammo shortage. And from a few searches I've done recently (ammoseek & gunbot), you can get .40S&W cheaper than 9mm in some cases.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Slide, barrel and magazine have to be swapped, the lower frames are the same. But like others have said, it's more cost effective to just buy a used 100/101 and not risk burning out the lower by making it pull double duty.

Reactions: jwc007
1 - 8 of 8 Posts