Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pics of said pistol - I can't tell you folks how delighted I am that I bought this gun, because its such a friggin' BEAUTY!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

By boltstop at 2011-10-08

By boltstop at 2011-10-08

I've got other pics. Let me know if you want more.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Nice pics.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
After further review by the instant replay officials, the ruling on the field stands:

"its such a friggin' BEAUTY!" ;)

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Nice gun you have there. Enjoy your new friend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A bit bit more bling than I normally indulge in, but it fits me so well, and shoots so well, I can't help but be pleased with mine.

It now rests on my nightstand with a TLR-1 attached for when the boogey-man comes! If I could only get a decent set of night sights for it, I'd be ecstatic!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Atta boy! Enjoy. Great pics. Thanks.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bit bit more bling than I normally indulge in, but it fits me so well, and shoots so well, I can't help but be pleased with mine.

It now rests on my nightstand with a TLR-1 attached for when the boogey-man comes! If I could only get a decent set of night sights for it, I'd be ecstatic!
The night-sights question - OH YEAH.

It's something, IIRC, about the dovetails - they're machined either too wide or at too steep of an angle or something, is that right?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
rifleshooter that is a perty gun there.

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Really nice looking pistol.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rifleshooter that is a perty gun there.
Thank you, amigo! I'm beginning to wonder what this beauty'd look like with a set of rosewood grips on it. Yes, I am delving, somewhat, into the bling. Although in middle age, I'm much more modest than I was when I was young and cocky, I still occasionally want to hold something of beauty in my hands. This (somewhat, anyway) makes up for all the times my wife has "stomach trouble" or "headaches." <grrrrr>

LOL!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
You got a nice looking piece there!

It could even be be considered a low end Pimp Gun. Maybe a set of pink pearl grips and a few gold plated accents would elevate that low end rating! LOL

I too like a nice shiny gun now and then even better if they are engraved.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition of a really fine-looking pistol.:thumb:

The rosewood grips would look nice on it.

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
39 Posts
The night-sights question - OH YEAH.

It's something, IIRC, about the dovetails - they're machined either too wide or at too steep of an angle or something, is that right?
So far, the rear sight slot is too wide for standard night sights and the front is waaaay too wide for anything I've been able to find. This is the only realy major FAIL on Taurus' part with this particlar handgun, IMO. This weapon just screams for night sights, and the only real viable option I've found is to send out the slide and have the stock sights drilled and tritium tubes inserted. Unfortunately, this service is apparantly involving gold, platinum, or some such, because the cost is, at best, PROHIBITIVE!

If you go to the trouble of cutting the slide, why cut the dovetails in a non-standard size that no manufacturer of proper sights uses? Does Taurus offer sights for this weapon? No. Will they? No. Heck, they don't even offer the weapon any more. As near as I can tell, production on the 917's was extremely limited for some reason.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Short answer:

If you are going to add "non-Taurus" sights to your gun, why not have the dovetail milled to a standard size and configuration, and then LOTS of aftermarket sights are an easy option.

And before you thank me, yes. I know already I have the genius to suggest the obvious.
But thanks for the thought. :cool:

Flash

·
Registered
39 Posts
Flash, because being oversized for any other sights, you can't add material, only subtract it, making the problem worse.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Now I want to get the slide on my 24/7 nickel plated!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Thank you, amigo! I'm beginning to wonder what this beauty'd look like with a set of rosewood grips on it. Yes, I am delving, somewhat, into the bling. Although in middle age, I'm much more modest than I was when I was young and cocky, I still occasionally want to hold something of beauty in my hands. This (somewhat, anyway) makes up for all the times my wife has "stomach trouble" or "headaches." <grrrrr>
That's a pretty pistol. Your comment reminded me that researchers recently found a food that's been proven to almost completely eliminate a woman's sex drive. It's called 'wedding cake.' :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts