Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 1976 I purchased a Colt MK IV/Series 70 in .45 ACP and fell in love. It has been my favorite handgun ever since. It is the one gun I trust completely and have carried it into serious social situations more than once.

Earlier this year I purchased a Taurus PT 845, just because I have been so impressed with my PT-24/7 and the price was too good to pass up.

This week I had a day off of work and decided to take these two .45s out to the range and have a shoot off. So I took 400 rounds of my own reloads consisting of PowerBond 200 grain round nose copper coated bullets over 3.5 grains of Titegoup. This was my first time using PowerBond bullets and I was eager to see how they would perform.

The target I chose to use was the Thompson Target Red-Fire Defender Half-Torso Human Silhouette Targets set at 7 yards. Why 7 yards? Because my eyesight sucks and much beyond 10 yards I would not be able to see the targets well enough to do a decent test.

The test consisted of firing 200 rounds through each pistol, alternating between them every 10 rounds and testing for accuracy, reliability and comfort.

The Taurus won in two of the three categories.

Accuracy – The first 10 rounds from the Taurus went into a single ragged group about 2.5 inches in diameter and it continued to display that degree of accuracy throughout the test. The Colt on the other hand was putting them into groups about 4 inches in diameter with occasional flyers.

Reliability – The Taurus had no failures of any kind. The Colt suffered two failures to return to battery. With each of these all I had to do was to apply light pressure on the rear of the slide and the Colt snapped right back into battery.

Comfort – The Colt beat out the Taurus in this category, but only because it is sporting Pachmayer Signature grips and the Taurus is as it came from the factory.

The 845 has now had about 800 rounds through it without a single failure. As someone else on this forum has said, the more I shoot it the better I like it.

As for the PowerBond bullets I have no complaints. Both guns shot them well and they did not leave any detectable copper behind in the barrel of either gun.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Thanks!
This is the kind of report I'd like to see more often.
It's one thing to extol your PT845 as the greatest thing since smokeless powder (which I've come close to doing) and quite another to do a side-by-side with a classic design such as the 1911.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice report...thanks!
I've had similar experiences with my PT845 as compared to my Kimber and my Para. It doesn't fail and accuracy is great. The only pistol I have that compares is one of my PT1911s with a Storm Lake barrel. My 845 is my baby though. I put night sights and a laser/light unit on it and stippled the trigger guard.

Damn...now I REALLY want to hit the range tomorrow!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice report...thanks!
I've had similar experiences with my PT845 as compared to my Kimber and my Para. It doesn't fail and accuracy is great. The only pistol I have that compares is one of my PT1911s with a Storm Lake barrel. My 845 is my baby though. I put night sights and a laser/light unit on it and stippled the trigger guard.
Which night sights did you get that fit the 800 series?

·
Administrator
18,062 Posts
Great Range Report!

Very interesting Shoot off! Glad your PT845 is working well for you.

Perhaps it's time for a new Recoil Spring for your Colt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jwc007, I believe you are right. It has been a few thousand rounds since I replaced it. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanx for the report this is one of the posts witch guided me in my final choice for the pt845 as my first gun in 10 years. I've been in Ireland so I couldnt buy any guns and I've been wanting to pick up a good 45 for the longest time. Finely got mine out to the range and I couldnt be happier. smoother recoil than some 9mm I've shot, tho I need to work on my accuracy, it still was grouping as good as a 380 my friend brought along so its def. me and not the gun that needs work.

·
Administrator
18,062 Posts
Comfort – The Colt beat out the Taurus in this category, but only because it is sporting Pachmayer Signature grips and the Taurus is as it came from the factory.
You should consider trying a Hogue Handall Slip on Grip on your PT845. Have one on my .45 24/7 OSS and it really improves the comfort of that grip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts