Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new PT-845 a couple of weeks ago. I decided I'd better try a plastic auto before I die - for the heck of it. I'm really a revolver guy.....and I've always dumped on plastic guns.....but what the heck ? I'm as much of a hypocrite as the next guy !

I must say, I find ALL of the autos butt ugly, whatever the brand. Sorry guys, but I do. However, to each his own.....and these guns do have a certain utilitarian appeal. I was also curious - since the plastic autos have taken the market by storm, so to speak......I have to admit to being curious about them. Oh well, I bought it to shoot - not look at.

I decided early on that I wanted a 45 ACP, instead of the ubiquitous 9 x 19, so that narrowed my choices a bit. I looked at a pile of different guns, including 1911 variants, Glocks, a Springfield XD, some used guns of various makes, etc. I can't say with certainty why I chose the Taurus, other than the price was good ($399), I'd had great service from the Taurus 851 revolver I owned until recently......and I like taking the unconventional approach. Anyway, I picked the PT-845....and that is that.

I do like the controls, the function (the trigger on mine is not bad in DA and quite good in SA), and the design of the pistol. I am not sure about the "lower half" (plastic frame, stamped metal chassis and parts, etc.)....but it seems to function well. I have high respect for the "upper half"......a good design, in my opinion. Time will tell on my overall view of the total package.

As for shooting it : I took it to the range Thursday evening. I put 95 rounds of 230 grain RN FMJ ("ball") PMC ammo through it. The pistol functioned perfectly, smoothly, etc, etc. I have NO complaints or caveats about that. The gun shot low, or rather I shot the gun low (it could well be my technique).....but it IS accurate. Once I figured out the sights (that is, learned to elevate the front sight on the target), it shot to POA. As I said, the low hits could be ME. Time will tell on that. I do NOT like chasing the brass, though. That, however, goes with the territory (see, I said I was a revolver guy). Hand loading for the 45 ACP is easy - and I've placed an order for dies and bullets, etc. for this. The oft - complained about magazine release issue was no issue to me.....no problems whatsoever. The magazines functioned perfectly right out of the box, too.

Recoil was not bad. The grip, while large and slab-sided, did not hurt my arthritic hands. I am using the slimmest of the backstrap inserts.....and I am sure that is the way to go for me.

Overall, 95 rounds do NOT make for a definitive test, by any means. However, I am pleased so far. The dynamics of an auto pistol I will have to get used to (it is VERY different than a revolver).....and hopefully, the looks will grow on me somewhat. For $399, though, I am pretty happy so far. If this pistol does as well when I hit 2000 rounds....then I shall be WELL pleased, I assure you.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've been looking at the 845's for some time. Looking isn't really the right word - drooling would be closer to the truth. I'm just waiting for Taurus to come out with a compact version like the 809C, and when they do I'll snap one up post haste. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing your insights on your new PT845 with us.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Out of all Taurus autos the 800 series would be the my choice in a new pistol. I really like having a hammer on a handgun. I hope it gives you many years of service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put more than 200 rounds of mixed ammo through my 845 last week. Mine shot a bit low and to the left. I had no failures at all. Mag release is a bit stiff. Ifound the double action pull a bit long. Overall I'm quite satisfied. Good value for the money!

·
Super Moderator
17,634 Posts
I'm a revolver guy too, and bought a tupperware gun for the same reason...what the heck everybody's doing it! I went 9mm though, I'm fooling around reloading for it but I don't even bother picking up the brass. You can buy 1,000 for $30, it ain't worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have a brother that is on the verge of buying his first pistol. I keep yelling 1911(I'm a steel gun guy, too. Not much for revos though), and he really doesn't have a clue as to what he wants. I know the G guns are everywhere, but I'd like to have something different in the fam. We must have a half dozen of them in the whole clan. Too, he wants something with a manual safety and I don't want to have to add a manual safety to it for him. Not to be so lazy and self-centered, but I have a ton of things going on right now, and from what I'm reading here, these guns AREN'T a compromise. Maybe in a 100k rd torture test, but he doesn't shoot IDPA or anything, so I doubt he'll reach that in it's entire ownership.

Wow.....Sorry for the threadjack. This was about YOUR gun, not MY brother...... Thanks for the info, though. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Congrats and thanks for the report kubel. Now you do know that you can now get a poly revolver from Taurus, right? :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats and thanks for the report kubel. Now you do know that you can now get a poly revolver from Taurus, right? :D

Ha Ha Ha. Jolly joker you are. Plastic revolvers are a species of which I shall NEVER approve. NEVER. Did I say "NEVER" ? I meant NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER !!!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I've had my PT845 for a year, now. Never a problem with it and it shoots to POA better than any pistol or revolver I own.

If you're shooting low, I'd guess you're using a six'o'clock sight picture and that's wrong. Taurus pistols have combat sights: put the front blade on the bulseye.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had my PT845 for a year, now. Never a problem with it and it shoots to POA better than any pistol or revolver I own.

If you're shooting low, I'd guess you're using a six'o'clock sight picture and that's wrong. Taurus pistols have combat sights: put the front blade on the bulseye.

No. I'm not using a six o'clock hold. Thanks for the effort, though. However, as I'm not used to automatics.....and as I wasn't sure of how the recoil would be with the 845, I may be altering my grip to anticipate recoil. This is also poor shooting practice ("wrong")....and can cause one to shoot low. The thing is, when I align the sights so that the bottom of the front blade is even with the bottom of the rear sight channel (and the front sight is held smack on the centre of the bull), the pistol shoots to POA (with my probably flawed technique). I don't believe that the gun is "naturally" shooting 6" low at 10 yards, especially with 230 grain rounds. It must be my technique.

As I said, I'm a revolver guy.....and not used to autos. So, I'll practice, practice, practice....and work on my technique. I bet that'll do it.

Now, to find a suitable holster, in case I choose to carry the 845 concealed sometimes. Not a "concealment" sized gun, for sure, but I think it's possible, with the right holster and clothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you care for IWB carry, the Galco King Tut works. I bought my holster for a Sig 229 and found it fits the Taurus 845 as well. The numbers on the back of the holster are L109 WC and KT248B. I hope this helps. Bill

·
Administrator
17,691 Posts
Congratulations on your new PT845 and Welcome to the Forum! :cool:

For your shot placement issues, I recommend using a Dead-On Sight Hold and the use of the Chart below, assuming you are Right handed.

Like you, I was very leery of Plastic (Combat Tupperware) Framed Handguns, but being curious, I decided to try a Taurus 24/7 Pro back in 2009. Being very happy with it, this lead to a .45 24/7 OSS, of which I am also very happy with. Now the Metal (aluminum) sub-frame construction in the 24/7 did much to alleviate my apprehension of the design. However, that said, I've now seen other polymer framed handguns with no metal sub-frame that seem to work just fine over many thousands of rounds. Does make you think about it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I read the article, but I'm going to take issue with the opening premise - "And what's the entire secret of accurate shooting?
"Your sights must aligned with the target at the moment the hammer falls."" It's true that the sights need to be aligned at the moment the hammer falls, but that's not the whole truth - the sights need to be aligned when the bullet leaves the barrel, not just when the hammer falls. And that's why follow through is important. The entire pistol is actually moving before the bullet leaves the barrel which is why you need to be able to keep the sights on target after the hammer falls, and dry firing is the only way I know to tell. You sometimes have to experiment with your pull technique until you find the sweet spot on the trigger where you can drop the hammer with no 'sight bounce.' It's very hard to catch under recoil, but is pretty obvious when dry firing. And the pistol needs to recoil in your hand the same way every time for optimal accuracy. This high speed video demonstrates the phenomenon very clearly - note the rearward and slightly upward slide of the muzzle before the projectile leaves the barrel -

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like "kubelkampf" may be a new convert to bottom feeders...

Well, I'm STILL a revolver guy......and I do STILL see major advantages to revolvers (NO brass chasing, NO stiffly-sprung magazines to load and NO slide slamming back to upset your follow through).....but......

I'll grudgingly admit, I am enjoying the 845 so far.

Thanks for the support guys.

Oh, I found some goodies at the gun show today :

A Gould and Goodrich Yaqui belt slide holster with adjustable tension (for the 845) - MUCH more comfortable than the thumb break "pancake" holster I tried first.

500 cast .38 Special LSWC bullets for about 6.7 cents each.

600 cast 45 ACP bullets for about 9.7 cents each.

Now, if my 45 ACP dies will just come in.....I can get down to business.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts