Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, and in my introduction thread, I was encouraged by JHPRICE to post pictures and give some range reports on my 809c. I always aim to please, so here we go... Pics first...

IMG_0227.jpg IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0229.jpg IMG_0231.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality and upside-downedness... I'm still figuring out how to use this site...

As far as range reports go, I don't know how much help I will be, as I am not that experienced of a shooter, but I'll do my best ;)

In the box came the typical paperwork (manual etc.), 2 -17 round mags, the firearm (obviously), a nylon barrel brush, a magazine speed loader and keys to lock the integrated locking system in the gun.

The mags are the same mags used for the 809 with the addition of a "sleeve" that slides over the magazine and acts as a grip extension. While I think it is awesome that the gun came with 2-17 round mags (I mean, who doesn't love that kind of capacity, am I right?), I did go ahead and order a 13 round mag from Taurus for easier concealment, but like every other magazine, it is currently on backorder. No biggie.

The gun itself feels great in my hand, but I have large hands, so, if you have smaller hands, it may be a bit much to hold onto.

The full-size 809 is (from what I've read) fully ambidextrous. This is not the case with the 809c, but I'm a righty anyway. Not a problem. The mag release, however, is ambidextrous, but this brings me to the only thing that I dislike about this firearm. When I push the mag release with my thumb while holding the gun properly, the opposite side of the mag release presses into my hand, making it difficult to change mags quickly. I'm sure this can be overcome with a little practice.

I have only had the pleasure of firing the gun once, but it was exactly that, a pleasure.

I put through ~50 rounds. A mix of WWB and Independence FMJ and Remington Golden Saber HP. Not one single FTF or FTE even with mixed mags. I didn't really take the time to deal with accuracy. I was focusing primarily on how well the gun cycled, trigger reset etc. Having read the Taurus nay-sayers, I was more concerned that it function properly than that it be accurate. Sights can be adjusted later if need be... constant jamming would need to be addressed immediately... At least that was my thinking at the time.

Again, no FTF or FTE or any other problems, and the trigger reset was as good if not better than what I had read. The trigger reset was ridiculously (in a good way) short.

Also worth mentioning is that the brass seemed to be ejecting uniformly in the same direction and distance.

That is all I can think of for the time being. If you have any questions, ask and I will try to answer them. Again, I'm no expert. And if you are on the fence about purchasing the 809c, I wholeheartedly encourage you to go get one. NOW!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got my 809 in March and I also love it. I have fired over 500 rounds through it and I had no problems. I had to get used to the trigger pull, but now I'm dead on at 20 yards. The problem is finding ammo. Try Bulkammo.com or Luckygunner.com. It is expensive but you get it shipped the same day by UPS Ground. I get my orders in 2-3 days. Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my 809 in March and I also love it. I have fired over 500 rounds through it and I had no problems. I had to get used to the trigger pull, but now I'm dead on at 20 yards. The problem is finding ammo. Try Bulkammo.com or Luckygunner.com. It is expensive but you get it shipped the same day by UPS Ground. I get my orders in 2-3 days. Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks, I'll keep a lookout there if I need some. So far, I've not had too much trouble finding ammo around here at the LGS. A box of 50 FMJ is going for $20-$25 around here. Its not great, but its not awful either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love my 809C! Mine came with a 17 and a 13 round mag
That is what I was expecting, but alas I was surprised. My guess is that Taurus ran out of the 13 rd mags (they are on backorder right now) so instead started shipping out with 2 - 17's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota. Very nice gun. You are just starting with the Taurus obsession.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've had the 809 and carry daily, but the compact just keeps calling me...

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Very nice. If I can ever bring myself to buy a poly pistol it will definitely be an 800 series.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had the 809 and carry daily, but the compact just keeps calling me...
CC or OC? If CC, which 809 do you have? I have the 809b (4in barrel) and no clue how to CC. Though I might have to go on a diet to do it.lol Looking for a compact of some sort with ambi safety. (damn left-handers)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm new here, and in my introduction thread, I was encouraged by JHPRICE to post pictures and give some range reports on my 809c. I always aim to please, so here we go... Pics first...

View attachment 55940 View attachment 55941 View attachment 55942 View attachment 55943

Sorry for the picture quality and upside-downedness... I'm still figuring out how to use this site...

As far as range reports go, I don't know how much help I will be, as I am not that experienced of a shooter, but I'll do my best ;)

In the box came the typical paperwork (manual etc.), 2 -17 round mags, the firearm (obviously), a nylon barrel brush, a magazine speed loader and keys to lock the integrated locking system in the gun.

The mags are the same mags used for the 809 with the addition of a "sleeve" that slides over the magazine and acts as a grip extension. While I think it is awesome that the gun came with 2-17 round mags (I mean, who doesn't love that kind of capacity, am I right?), I did go ahead and order a 13 round mag from Taurus for easier concealment, but like every other magazine, it is currently on backorder. No biggie.

The gun itself feels great in my hand, but I have large hands, so, if you have smaller hands, it may be a bit much to hold onto.

The full-size 809 is (from what I've read) fully ambidextrous. This is not the case with the 809c, but I'm a righty anyway. Not a problem. The mag release, however, is ambidextrous, but this brings me to the only thing that I dislike about this firearm. When I push the mag release with my thumb while holding the gun properly, the opposite side of the mag release presses into my hand, making it difficult to change mags quickly. I'm sure this can be overcome with a little practice.

I have only had the pleasure of firing the gun once, but it was exactly that, a pleasure.

I put through ~50 rounds. A mix of WWB and Independence FMJ and Remington Golden Saber HP. Not one single FTF or FTE even with mixed mags. I didn't really take the time to deal with accuracy. I was focusing primarily on how well the gun cycled, trigger reset etc. Having read the Taurus nay-sayers, I was more concerned that it function properly than that it be accurate. Sights can be adjusted later if need be... constant jamming would need to be addressed immediately... At least that was my thinking at the time.

Again, no FTF or FTE or any other problems, and the trigger reset was as good if not better than what I had read. The trigger reset was ridiculously (in a good way) short.

Also worth mentioning is that the brass seemed to be ejecting uniformly in the same direction and distance.

That is all I can think of for the time being. If you have any questions, ask and I will try to answer them. Again, I'm no expert. And if you are on the fence about purchasing the 809c, I wholeheartedly encourage you to go get one. NOW!
WELCOME!!!...... Interesting that yours came with two 17 round mags...mine came with one of each. :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice. If I can ever bring myself to buy a poly pistol it will definitely be an 800 series.
I have only owned two handguns other than my 809. One was a HiPoint... I don't want to talk about that... The other was a CZ 82. Talk about a solid little gun. Metal frame and all around sturdy. In my opinion the 809 feels just as solid as the ol' CZ. I don't think I could damage it if I wanted to.

And no, I'm not trying to talk you into buying a new gun... Why would you even suggest such a thing? ;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
bya72...no OC here in Texas...I carry OWB, Bianchi "minimalist" I think it's called, size 105. Also have Tagua holster, actually for XD 4". Both fit really well. Good, stiff, belt makes all the difference, will be looking at carry-specific gunbelt soon. There are lot's of options, but this works for me. Of course, I do wear shirts with tail out to help with concealment. It can be done.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Kinda defeats thw purpose of buying the compact version if you still have the full length grip because of the mag size...

·
Registered
60 Posts
New here from Florida and just bought my 809C! Great gun! Any holster suggestions? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts