Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHOOO Hooooo!!!!!

So the wifes PT-809c arrived at my LGS yesterday. This after being told Taurus might not be sending them to South Africa. Checked it out this morning and what a great feeling little gun. slide release is super tight but hey it still needs a good cleaning and shooting. BUT!!! the bad part is now this. We will be paying for it tomorrow if it fits her hands thoroughly, and then the licencing process can start. Min of 6 weeks!!! But hey things are on the up since i had to wait 3 years for mine just after all the new legislation was put in place.

CANT WAIT!!! just hope she likes it

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
Congrats Need pics

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you gents! but pics will only come once we can take delivery of it. will be laying in gunshops safe until licencing completed

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I'm sure she will enjoy it. Cant wait for when its home and i can tare it down and clean it up and get it to the range and have wifey put a few through it. I would OBVIOUSLY have to put a few through myself haha

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New legislation here since 2003 states that one first does a competency certificate (this supposedly is the majority of the screening process ie criminal record checks, also an exam on local gun law, and a practical shoot to ensure you can handle a firearm correctly and safely) best case scenario this is 2 weeks.

Then your licence application starts, with this certificate number and includes a safe check at your home (which seldom does happen), and a motivational letter about an arms length, testimonials from people such as your spouse, minister, shooting clubs etc (very ironic in terms of clubs if its your first firearm). also with your licence app you must include proof of any statements relating to crime statistics. Quite hectic. and this is a minimum of 4 weeks in waiting after application.

Also one is only allowed one firearm per category. These being for example self-defense. If you are a hunter you only allowed one per game category but if you can achieve dedicated hunter status (this being a whole process on its own and requiring all sorts of club memberships and participation) you can have a few hunting rifles. never a semi-auto unless you own a security company. Same as for hunting, the only way to have more than one handgun is by being an active club shooter for at least a year

sorry guys thats a whole lot of our local legal mumbo jumbo but also explains why i only have my PT92 and not a second PT92 and 809 and 809c and HK-P30

So still quite a road ahead before a range report will be possible, but perseverance is key

I don't know whos more excited between the two of us to take it home

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Wow that is quite the process to own firearms. There are many people in this country that would like to make the process like that or simply ban all guns. It's a constant battle to keep our rights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome aboard from the great state of Michigan. Congrats on getting the 809C. Your wife will have to get used to the trigger pull, but once she gets used to that she will be fine. Remember practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Congrats on the new 809, but I feel for you and what you have to go through just to own a firearm. And the limits to the number you may own would kill me!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Congrats...Great gun.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you guys. Believe me it is torturous to be so limited. but at least now there will be two 9s in the house. better than one. practice we sure will!

We both love shooting and she gets quite excited when we head to the range, so now I'm probably gonna have to drag her out of there when she has her own lol!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You will likely have to and keep an eye on your ammo supply ha ha!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts