Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a PT 809 at Academy last week with 200 rds of Remington sureshot 9mm FMJs. When I got home I rattled off a whole clip in the dark and the gun functioned flawlessly! I tore it down and cleaned the barrel and springs then lubed it with FP-10. About a week later I took it down to the farm to run it through some drills. After shooting a whole clip with no problems I loaded the second clip and after the third shot or so the trigger didn't reset all the way and it wouldn't fire, although the hammer was cocked all the way back. I de-cocked it and shot it in double action then emptied the clip no problems. When I loaded the next clip I had this issue about 5 times in a row! The hammer cocked all the way but the trigger wouldn't do anything. I tore the gun down and brushed and cleaned it vigorously last night and I'm gonna try it again tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I take the trigger assembly apart? I drenched it with CLP then lubed it with a bunch of FP-10 and Hoppe's gun oil so maybe it'll work better with a good cleaning and some break-in time.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The most common cause of these types of issues would be the grease Taurus packs in the guns for the three week boat trip to the US. Until you have REALLY cleaned one, you just can't count on it working properly. Cleaning them like you would other manufacturers guns just won't cut it. It sounds like you are on the right track - I've never had to actually take the trigger assembly out on a new one, but when I got brave enough to do a detail strip on several of mine I found factory grease after dozens of cleanings.

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
I bought this last week when Academy had it on super sale and so far have run 400 rounds thru on two different range days. I had several failure to feed issues the first range day that I cured by breaking the gun down and more thoroughly cleaning it on the spot, resumed shooting and no more FTF issues. The one issue that seems to be persistent at this point (other than the the craptastic sights) is the gun will pretty consistently not lock open with the last round. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my magazines will lock the gun open after the last round but one will not, I've read of another fellow with the same situation.
BTW I just shot my gun at lunch and it worked a lot better since a good cleaning, only one of the 18 shots had to have a bit more pressure applied to the trigger. I'm probably gonna tear the gun all the way down tonight, any suggestions on pulling the trigger group and firing pin assembly out of the frame?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
One of my magazines will lock the gun open after the last round but one will not, I've read of another fellow with the same situation.
BTW I just shot my gun at lunch and it worked a lot better since a good cleaning, only one of the 18 shots had to have a bit more pressure applied to the trigger. I'm probably gonna tear the gun all the way down tonight, any suggestions on pulling the trigger group and firing pin assembly out of the frame?
I haven't had the time, nor felt brave enough to strip out the trigger assemblies yet, but I've had good luck using Gun Scrubber spray. Make sure you get a spray that is 'polymer safe'. I spray heavy, let it marinade, then spray some more, using the little red 'straw' you can get into the springs and pin channel pretty well. Repeat as needed until it runs out clear. Has worked good for me so far. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Oops! Almost forgot. Howdy from Ft Worth, and Welcome aboard to both of you, texasguitar903 and Texheim. Glad to see 2 more Texas reps in da house!! :D

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Texas, REPRESENT!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can't realy add more to that than some of the earliest makes of the gun come with some iffy mags, you can see when the gun was made on the taurus website and somewhere on here is a detailed explanation of the differences in the 3 gens of the mag. newer mags may or may not help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am probably a little late on this. I have found another reason why the slide does not lock back. The slide lock on my PT809 was rubbing on the RIGHT side of the handle frame. I scraped some of the frame from behind the slide lock (I suppose that the lock could also be bent in a little) and the slide locked back every time.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Should I take the trigger assembly apart? I drenched it with CLP then lubed it with a bunch of FP-10 and Hoppe's gun oil so maybe it'll work better with a good cleaning and some break-in time.

It won't. My PT809 had trigger problems fresh out of the box. After 2 cleaning & shooting sessions the pistol would STILL have problems if I decocked it via the lever. Specifically the trigger bar would fail to advance the trigger forward enough to reset it.

One day I got fed up and field stripped it for a look at the trigger bar. Here is what I discovered. The frame is black and so are the internal parts, so from casual inspection the trigger bar and internals will appear to be normal. You'll run your finger on the trigger bar and parts with no residue, and things generally look OK.
So what I did was, I ran a cloth between the trigger bar and the frame. It came back FILTHY.

15 minutes later,for the first time since it landed on the Miami dock it was 100% clean. Turned out, factory grease had been hiding out in plain sight on the internal frame of the pistol! I cleaned the trigger bar and whatnot but neglected to CLEAN THE FRAME! Every time I decocked the gun the clean trigger bar would rub against the cosmoline crusted frame and fail to reset. Further inspection of the fire control unit and locking lug revealed more Brazilian cosmoline hiding out on the dark parts of the frame. Thanks to the stygian blackness of the PT809's guts you literally can't trust your eyes to tell you its clean.

Field strip your gun and run a white patch between the trigger bar and your frame as I did. Make sure your jaw isn't near anything sold when you do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is easier to clean the bar if your remove the hammer assembly ;) not that had to do. Just need your safety key and a hammer. Tap the retaining pin found at the rear of the frame below the saftey lever. Once out decock the trigger then pull the hammer up and out the frame while pulling the trigger. This will remove the whole hammer support from the frame and will expose even more cosmoline goodness lol. We have a guide here in the forums under smithing section with pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a PT 809 at Academy last week with 200 rds of Remington sureshot 9mm FMJs. When I got home I rattled off a whole clip in the dark and the gun functioned flawlessly! I tore it down and cleaned the barrel and springs then lubed it with FP-10. About a week later I took it down to the farm to run it through some drills. After shooting a whole clip with no problems I loaded the second clip and after the third shot or so the trigger didn't reset all the way and it wouldn't fire, although the hammer was cocked all the way back. I de-cocked it and shot it in double action then emptied the clip no problems. When I loaded the next clip I had this issue about 5 times in a row! The hammer cocked all the way but the trigger wouldn't do anything. I tore the gun down and brushed and cleaned it vigorously last night and I'm gonna try it again tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I take the trigger assembly apart? I drenched it with CLP then lubed it with a bunch of FP-10 and Hoppe's gun oil so maybe it'll work better with a good cleaning and some break-in time.
Had similar problems as weapon would lock up with the safety lever engaging after firing. I had to literally pull down on the safety lever to disengage the safety. Called Taurus and spoke with a rep, he couldn't give me a solution. Field stripped the weapon and cleaned it. Took it back to range and fired 200 rounds flawlessly. Bought a laser from Laserlyte and am happier than a witch in broom factory.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I totally agree that a good cleaning is in order before you ship it back to Taurus. Upon re-assembly use some Rem oil or suitable lube, do not use grease anywhere on it. FWIW and I am not critical but the use of the term "clip" is not correct in this instance. The proper term should be "magazine" as a "clip" is something that is used on the M1 Garand.

Cheers
Vince

·
Registered
248 Posts
Stygian darkness? H. P. Lovecraft LIVES!
It won't. My PT809 had trigger problems fresh out of the box. After 2 cleaning & shooting sessions the pistol would STILL have problems if I decocked it via the lever. Specifically the trigger bar would fail to advance the trigger forward enough to reset it.

One day I got fed up and field stripped it for a look at the trigger bar. Here is what I discovered. The frame is black and so are the internal parts, so from casual inspection the trigger bar and internals will appear to be normal. You'll run your finger on the trigger bar and parts with no residue, and things generally look OK.
So what I did was, I ran a cloth between the trigger bar and the frame. It came back FILTHY.

15 minutes later,for the first time since it landed on the Miami dock it was 100% clean. Turned out, factory grease had been hiding out in plain sight on the internal frame of the pistol! I cleaned the trigger bar and whatnot but neglected to CLEAN THE FRAME! Every time I decocked the gun the clean trigger bar would rub against the cosmoline crusted frame and fail to reset. Further inspection of the fire control unit and locking lug revealed more Brazilian cosmoline hiding out on the dark parts of the frame. Thanks to the stygian blackness of the PT809's guts you literally can't trust your eyes to tell you its clean.

Field strip your gun and run a white patch between the trigger bar and your frame as I did. Make sure your jaw isn't near anything sold when you do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my taurus PT 809 a month ago waited the maryland 10 day period plus some because they are behind then picked up the 809 cleaned it and fired one magazine before it broke, no firing pin strike on the round at all plus the trigger mechanism was not acting right so I called Taurus who informed me the dealer I bought it from has had it since 2009. They sent me a label to ship it to them and informed me it is a six week turnaround time to get the gun repaired from the time they enter it into their system, shipping took a week in a half. They have received it but it still is not in their system. What I'm getting to is I shot 1 magazine in what appears to be in a three month period of time. Do I trust it now to defend my home no! Cheaper is not always the best way to go so I'm going to sell the gun when it gets back some day and get Glock or a Sig.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Other then what was added regarding a very good cleaning. I would also add that you may want to keep you're magazines loaded for awhile to break in the springs. I've had a couple of magazines that wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round. It worked itself out the more I used them. The 809's just seem to need a lot of break in time, after there well broke in they run like a champ. I have no complaints with my 809, it shoots everything I feed it. Good luck JBurgan just send it back to Taurus and they will get it right. I think you will really enjoy it when it gets repaired. Don't give up on it just yet, my first 809 had ejector issues. Taurus replaced it and all is really good. Happy shooting all.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I have had no issues with my 809, but one thing you might do is, break down both magazines (pry the bottom off per instructions, and carefully slide the spring and follower out). Then check the plastic follower carefully around the edges for any excess material that might not have been deburred. I took an emery board (don't tell The Wife!), and lightly buffed the edges on my 709 follower to ensure smooth operation. While the mags are apart, take the opportunity to degunk them if you haven't already.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Oh, and welcome you you as well, Texheim!
:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice just frustrated

Other then what was added regarding a very good cleaning. I would also add that you may want to keep you're magazines loaded for awhile to break in the springs. I've had a couple of magazines that wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round. It worked itself out the more I used them. The 809's just seem to need a lot of break in time, after there well broke in they run like a champ. I have no complaints with my 809, it shoots everything I feed it. Good luck JBurgan just send it back to Taurus and they will get it right. I think you will really enjoy it when it gets repaired. Don't give up on it just yet, my first 809 had ejector issues. Taurus replaced it and all is really good. Happy shooting all.
I did send it back to taurus but I'm looking atleast 2 months before I get it back. I loved the feel of the gun and accuracy with the one magazine I went through. I'm glad you all didn't have the issues I'm having and if I where more confident I would have taken out the firing pin and trigger mechanism and clened them but I'm not their yet. Luck of the draw I guess! Still don't think another Taurus is in my future but we'll see.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I did send it back to taurus but I'm looking atleast 2 months before I get it back. I loved the feel of the gun and accuracy with the one magazine I went through. I'm glad you all didn't have the issues I'm having and if I where more confident I would have taken out the firing pin and trigger mechanism and clened them but I'm not their yet. Luck of the draw I guess! Still don't think another Taurus is in my future but we'll see.
These firearms come packed in a lot of grease, and quite a thorough clean is needed to make sure that it's all gone. I'm wondering if the grease could have clogged your firing pin channel. My solution would have been to strip the slide, but others swear by hosing it out with Gunscrubber. What problem are you talking about with regard to your trigger mechanism? Others here have reported that cleaning it thoroughly is critical. Remember to hose *outward* with Gunscrubber, so you don't put the grease in a place it shouldn't go.

Over my first 150 rounds or so, I had multiple random stoppages. I suppose the various parts are fitting themselves to each other. I've had 8k rounds through mine already, and I've been absolutely happy. Around the 7k round mark, I had my slide replaced (free, warranty) because the little brass chips getting in the firing pin channel was annoying me. The new slide has a chamfered firing pin hole, and the problem seems to have disappeared completely.

I know it's aggravating when it doesn't work as advertised. I also acknowledge that the initial cleaning asked of its owner may be more than to be expected. But I'd suggest you hang in there and let the gun prove its worth for a few hundred more rounds. If not, I'll take your POS gun for $150 + shipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PT 809 Cleaning

These firearms come packed in a lot of grease, and quite a thorough clean is needed to make sure that it's all gone. I'm wondering if the grease could have clogged your firing pin channel. My solution would have been to strip the slide, but others swear by hosing it out with Gunscrubber. What problem are you talking about with regard to your trigger mechanism? Others here have reported that cleaning it thoroughly is critical. Remember to hose *outward* with Gunscrubber, so you don't put the grease in a place it shouldn't go.

Over my first 150 rounds or so, I had multiple random stoppages. I suppose the various parts are fitting themselves to each other. I've had 8k rounds through mine already, and I've been absolutely happy. Around the 7k round mark, I had my slide replaced (free, warranty) because the little brass chips getting in the firing pin channel was annoying me. The new slide has a chamfered firing pin hole, and the problem seems to have disappeared completely.

I know it's aggravating when it doesn't work as advertised. I also acknowledge that the initial cleaning asked of its owner may be more than to be expected. But I'd suggest you hang in there and let the gun prove its worth for a few hundred more rounds. If not, I'll take your POS gun for $150 + shipping.
I did do my best to clean the Gun I sprayed almost a whole can of gun scrubber through the pin block and as far as the trigger at times I could have it fully cocked and pull the trigger and nothing and then cleaned that out (no disassembly) really good. I was hesitant to break down the firing pin block and the trigger asswembly due to my experiance level with the PT 809. I can field strip an M16 no problem, or used to be able to but I better learn how to do it because Taurus has had my gun for weeks and haven't even statrted working on it. I suppose if the gun sat at the dealer for almost 3 years that grease probably dryed up and became hard and disassebly was the only answer. If we had a local gun smith I would have taken it there and had him show me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts