Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first wanted to upgrade from a .22 to 9mm pistol I wanted a PT-809, but I found a deal on a full size 9mm Tanfoglio Witness P back in 2011. Well today I traded that pistol, four extra magazines (five total), and a holster, for a new PT-809. I also ordered three extra magazines so that I will have five just like I did with the Tanfoglio. In essence, all I have to pay for are the three extra magazines. It should be delivered next week, so I'll post pictures of it then, for now, this was my trade-in . . . .

This pistol was a great trainer. My only minuses are the lack of a decocker, and a semi-sharp edge to the trigger which became uncomfortable after 50 or 60 rounds. It shot great and I competed in PPC with it a few times (best score was 567 out of 600 with 21 X's).

http://www.harrisburghunters.org/disciplines/ppc/summer_league/PPC Combat 600 Match.pdf

The club I belong to will be having indoor PPC matches over the winter, so I'll be testing out my new PT-809 in the next one.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Great shooting and congratulations - and i am anxiously awaiting to read and see all you have to tell me about the 809! We got to shoot one that the Taurus folks brought for us to try out at the Rapid City, SD retreat and i'd have to say that just about all of us really, really liked it! ;)

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Banned
15,276 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congrats on the trade. Always good to be comfortable with what you're shooting. You should really like the 809, I've really liked mine; pics and range report will be expected! Have a good one.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Congrats on the trade!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
My opinion here: you might be a little disappointed with the 809's trigger. I thought mine could have used a tune-up.

My guess is you'll find out the Witness is a better shooter, with a longer barrel and sight radius.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My opinion here: you might be a little disappointed with the 809's trigger. I thought mine could have used a tune-up.

My guess is you'll find out the Witness is a better shooter, with a longer barrel and sight radius.
Yes, the Witness was a good shooter, and it trained me well.

I picked up a PT-111 G2 a year ago and can now group my shots almost as well as the Witness. The little G2 is a natural pointer for me, and my daily carry. Below is a target I saved from a drill I came up with. I had 14 rounds left, and set the target at 7 yards. With the first 12 I put my pistol at low ready and looked away. At random intervals I would turn my head, lift the pistol and fire, one handed and with just a quick glance at the sights. For the last two rounds I moved the target back to 15 yards and did the same drill, except that I took a little more time to aim (not more than a second or two).

I had my G2 at the indoor range last week and set the same style of target at 25 yards. I shot two magazines (25 rounds - 1 in the chamber with the first mag) and took careful aim with a two handed hold. All my hits were in the black. With this being a 1/2 size human silhouette, that means that all of my shots would have been center of mass at 25 yards (disregarding the adrenaline rush).

If I can do this with the 809, then I'll be a happy camper. I've dry fired the 809 when I handled it in the past. The double action trigger is a lot better than the Witness, and the single action trigger is about the same as the Witness. The main difference will be the slightly shorter sight radius. Range report when I can . . . .

·
Registered
478 Posts

As an owner of both platforms, I agree about the Witness' longer sight radius (5") vs the 809/845 (4"). However, both are nice pistols and I'm still getting acquainted with the 845. I'll soon be as comfortable with it as I am with the Witness as will the OP

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Congratulations on a good trade, can't comment on the difference compared to the Witness, but the PT809 is a sweet shooter! I love mine. The PT111 G2 is a great gun also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
. . . . Update . . . .

Just picked it up. It functioned fine at the LGS, with the nice crisp trigger release I was expecting. However, it is swimming in grease and oil. When I picked up my PT-111 G2 it was clean and dry. I guess the other LGS cleaned it up before they put it out in the display case. My PT-809 came direct to me from the distributor, so I'll have to do the cleaning. Photos and range report coming maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I slipped out at lunch today to the indoor range at my gun club. I had a 100 round box of Winchester white box and loaded the five magazines 17-17-6-6-6 (6 because that's what is loaded when competing in PPC). They all fired just fine, but I did have about 15% of the spent brass eject into my forehead. I used those 52 rounds to see where I was hitting on the target and then reloaded the magazines 10-9-10-9-10 and proceeded to put almost all 48 rounds into a 5" circle at 25 feet (there were two flyers). No errors of any kind except for the occasional bump on my forehead. Felt recoil was very light (a lot lighter than my Tanfoglio). I attribute that to the softer and larger grip of the 809. I found that if I applied a little more backpressure with my support hand my groups tightened up. All in all, I was the most accurate with a first time pistol than I have ever been. Maybe its the 809, or maybe I'm just getting better. ;o)

One note, when I was cleaning the pistol last night, I noticed that the bore brush that is shown in the Taurus photos was not included. The space for it was cut out of the foam, but the foam plug was not removed.

Taurus stock photo - not my pistol. Note the bore brush at the top.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Now you've done it! Nice right? I think someone around here said the 800-series was Taurus' best-kept secret, or something like that. I've always liked mine. You're the second one lately to mention spent brass coming straight back. Haven't had that issue. Firmer grip needed? Not sure. Keep shooting it, you'll keep liking it. The bore brush? I think I got one, never used it though.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Congrats on the new weapon.

If its new, make sure you clean the s*** out of it. The packaging grease they use for the boat ride over from Brazil can cause some issues, especially when it gets burned powder mixed with it.

Reactions: jwc007 and RalphG2
1 - 20 of 38 Posts