Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new 809 9mm Taurus pistol and the button to release the magazine is extremely hard to press. I'm not a little wimp, I'm 6'1" 200 lbs and work out at the gym every day and it's almost impossible for me to release the magazine. I have to hold the pistol in both hands and press the release button as hard as I can to get the magazine to release. I have tried both magazines and it's the same with both. It's also the same pressing the right hand button or the left hand button. Is this common and is there a solution other than sending it back to Taurus? There is no way I could quickly replace an empty magazine with a second one in an emergency situation.

Thank you,
Jake

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Most new firearms will require a break-in period of 200-400 rounds to get all the mechanics working together properly. I know that the 800 series have had some issues with difficult mag release but yours seems a little more extreme. Is the button difficult when there is no mag in?

Reactions: Jakebe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. With the magazine out the button is easier to press but still has quite a bit of resistance and it feels rough when it goes in and out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you get all the packing grease out? That can cause several issues. As far as being rough, is there an easy way to remove the button and spring for cleaning/ polishing? I don't have and 800 series but I take my release out of my pt92 every few cleanings to keep the crud out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not done a thorough cleaning yet.... just wiped the gunk off the slide. Looking at the breakdown in the manual it appears that the little pin that's visible above the magazine release button holds everything in the frame. I haven't tried to take it apart but may give that a try. Hopefully it will go back together afterwards. I hate dealing with little springs in tight, hard to get at spaces.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would watch a couple videos and print out some step by steps. I believe there is a sticky for this if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
My mag release button on my 809C was very difficult at first too... I would try cleaning it, and just keep on that button.

·
Registered
8 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/s...-slide-frame-disassembly-pictorial-guide.html might want to check this out for a break down, he does a very good job! mine was the same way and I trimmed the end of the spring that goes under the mag release button. I cut it back to where it just dragged on the pin but not all the way under it. I did order a new spring first from Taurus before I did this in case I screwed it up. I will have to say it is a little tricky getting it back together-took me a few tries. good luck. be sure to debur the end of the spring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link. Lots of good info there. I have sprayed the release mechanism with cleaner and WD40 and have been working it back and forth and it seems to be loosing up some. It's still too hard to press from the left side. I still can't press the release with my thumb and get the magazine out. I can release it with my index finger from the right side after the cleaning and oiling. I am probably going to have to disassemble it and see if I can see and fix whatever is causing the problem. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
When you get it apart keep an eye out for any burrs that could be causing extra drag and sand them off with a med. grit sandpaper

·
Registered
612 Posts
Funny, same pistol, different experience. Had mine just over a month, and so far have only had a chance to put about 60-70 rds through (THAT'S changing this weekend); anyway, magazine release works real well, not difficult at all. All of the above sound like good advice. Now, for "tool marks" found after all the grease was cleaned off...but that's for another thread. Keep at it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are lucky you have found 60-70 rounds to shoot with the ammo situation the way it is. Since getting my pistol I have been to Wal-mart about every day including showing up at 7:30 AM when their delivery comes in and still no ammo. I went ahead and ordered a box of high price personal defense rounds online from the company I got the pistol from, just so I would have something in the gun if I needed it, but they are too pricey to be using for target practice.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Jakebe...Pierce Munitions always seems to have some (19.95/50, FMJ), pricey, never tried, but heard good things. I had to actually take a Friday off couple of weeks ago, had to hit 3 walmarts and 2 academy's but got stocked up...keep looking, different stores get different delivery days (I think). Academy here has started to have 9mm avail on their Tues & Fri afternoon deliveries. Ooops, probably should be in another thread. Ha ha.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Morning Jake,

I have a PT845. Great pistol, but like yours, the magazine release was extremely difficult to depress. I cleaned everything I could, but still no improvement. I call Taurus and sent it in. They replaced the mag release, and it made a tremendous difference. Now, the mags release easily with normal pressure on the mag release button. I would suggest sending it in.
Take care

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I was in the camp with my old, sold 809c of it being too hard to release but I worked it out maybe 1000 times and improved to standard.

Out of three Taurus pistols, one had a broken safety after 32 rounds, one had a goofy mag release and was hard to shoot accurately, and my 917 cs has been without flaw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jake, I bought the 809 Compact in February and at first had the exact same problem. I was used to shooting standard issue Beretta M9's in the military and enjoyed the ease of one handed mag releases that came with them. My 809C didn't have that. Then I realized those M9's had been around for years and fired probably thousands of rounds. So I took my pistol out and ran 300 rounds through it and wouldn't ya know, it's much easier now. I can drop the mag with one hand and grab a new one with the other. No problems. Still not as easy as I remember those M9's to be but we're getting there. I'm sure with use yours will too. Oh, and like a previous poster replied, a couple good cleanings will help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have cleaned this darn thing half a dozen or more times with blast from Birchwood Casey gun cleaner and lubricated it after each cleaning. It's still stiff and rough. I have pressed it so many times trying to get it to loosen up that my thumb is bruised and sore. I have decided I'm going to call Taurus tomorrow and see about returning it for repair. I hate doing that since I will be without the pistol for who knows how long plus I'm sure I'll be having to pay for shipping and insurance to get it there and back.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with it. It may be something other than just breaking in if you're thumbs are bruised! Good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I gave up trying to free it up and sent it back to Taurus for repair. Hopefully they get it fixed and back to me soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 845. I had the same problem. If I loaded the chamber and a full mag I was in for a fight dropping the full mag. I finally stopped topping of the mag, this helped. I also, carefully, filed the hole in the mag where the mag release catches and trimmed the "feet" some on the bottom of the mag follower.. That remedied the problem completely. Now I can load the chamber and have a full mag then be able to drop the full mag without straining something. Those guns and mags are built tight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts