Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago i bought a 809 9mm. I love this gun. It shoots perfect, accurate, and it was a great price. Now all of a sudden its discontinued?!?!?!

I was planning on picking up some more magazines for it but it looks like they have all been snatched up. Nobody has any.

Does anyone know exactly why this was discontinued?? I hate to think if i ever needed parts or anything i wont be able to get it in the near future. Which makes me not want to shoot it as much now...although it is a great gun.

Also, after looking at pictures of the new TH9 model...it sure looks alot like the 809...maybe those magazines will work with both guns? Is the TH9 just a 809 with new styling and name??

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Taurus is notorius for "tweaking" mags so they wont be compatible with other models. This was the case with the 24/7 G2's and the 800 series. Even though the frame body was nearly identical they designed the 800 series mags to have a front cut release...

Taurus makes a good portion of their profit on selling mags I'm told.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The changing mags for change sake is one of the more annoying things about the gun hobby. A tiny change = new mags. Every once in a while, you get lucky and find out a mag for another manufacturer's gun works perfectly, but I have a ton of almost identical mags that hold 15-17 rounds and either don't have the magazine retention slot in the same place, or are just a tiny bit off, just enough to make them not work. I know companies make a lot of money on mags (They can't cost much of anything to make), but at $25 a pop or so, it adds up quickly. Adding to the annoyance are the places that lift one of the two mags that originally came with the gun to sell separately for $20-30. That's like the electronic rip off places in NYC that were famous for lifting accessories from camera kits and adding them to the seemingly cheap price for the camera itself. I don't know if any of them still do it, but it seems like it's not a big deal to gun buyers.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have the PT 840 and it's a good pistol I have four mags for all my pistols and that adds up to the cost of another pistol. I checked Greg Cote LLC and he don't have any the last one I bought was at Cheaper Than Dirt. I can't understand why they quit making the 800 series most owners like them like anything some had problems but for the most part they were nice shooters

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Taurus is notorius for "tweaking" mags so they wont be compatible with other models. This was the case with the 24/7 G2's and the 800 series. Even though the frame body was nearly identical they designed the 800 series mags to have a front cut release...

Taurus makes a good portion of their profit on selling mags I'm told.
That is a "cheesy" way to do business.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also, after looking at pictures of the new TH9 model...it sure looks alot like the 809...maybe those magazines will work with both guns? Is the TH9 just a 809 with new styling and name??

Thanks for the help.
At the SHOT show, someone said the 809 mag would work in the th9 but not the other way around.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
There are two extremes of parts commonality between gun manufacturers

Glock is easily the master. So many parts fit between models. It's like art.

Then there is Taurus. Just keeping inventory must be an absolute nightmare.
Did each generation of the 24/7 REALLY require a different magazine? What
were the benefits to gun function? What was the benefit to consumers? I'd say
it was a benefit to Taurus in that they would be the only place to get new
magazines but, for it to be a benefit they would have to have them in stock
and be moving them.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
36,757 Posts
There are two extremes of parts commonality between gun manufacturers

Glock is easily the master. So many parts fit between models. It's like art.

Then there is Taurus. Just keeping inventory must be an absolute nightmare.
Did each generation of the 24/7 REALLY require a different magazine? What
were the benefits to gun function? What was the benefit to consumers? I'd say
it was a benefit to Taurus in that they would be the only place to get new
magazines but, for it to be a benefit they would have to have them in stock
and be moving them.

All the Best,
D. White
IF a Manufacture had plans of getting into the parts business (gunsmiths and owners) then the idea is great (for the manufacture) if they were not of that thinking then its a nightmare I would think for the manufacture, and we can see how much this has effected the repair section as they often "are waiting for parts" to arrive.

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a PT809 and ran into the same problems with mag availability. What I found is this:

Springfield XD9 mags will work in the PT809 pistol... IF you shave off the top lip of the magazine base to allow the magazine to seat fully into the mag well. That is an easy fix. Now the down side... the XD9 magazines will not lock the slide back on the last shot. To me that is a minor inconvenient trade-off to get extra magazines. For competitions I simply use the 2 factory magazines 1st so the slide will lock back and one of the XD magazines last since I will rarely run dry on the last magazine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a PT809 and ran into the same problems with mag availability. What I found is this:

Springfield XD9 mags will work in the PT809 pistol... IF you shave off the top lip of the magazine base to allow the magazine to seat fully into the mag well. That is an easy fix. Now the down side... the XD9 magazines will not lock the slide back on the last shot. To me that is a minor inconvenient trade-off to get extra magazines. For competitions I simply use the 2 factory magazines 1st so the slide will lock back and one of the XD magazines last since I will rarely run dry on the last magazine.

Hope this helps.
Great tip. Thank you. Could you share a photo of the area that you altered for our reference?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update:

I tried a TH9 mag while visiting Top Guns in Terre Haute, IN. They manually cycled rounds through it but wouldn't fire it since it was a mag from a new gun and didn't want to have to sell it as used. It seated and cycled fine. But they didn't have any individual mags for sale. Finally, gunmagwarehouse listed them in stock for sale. I just purchased 2 17rd TH9 mags and tried them out this past week. Both TH9 17rd mags in a PT809 worked perfectly. No mods required. Can't speak to the other way around since I don't have a TH9.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts