Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two things:

First, I've had my PT 809 for years now and every so often it would eject the shells in my face. No big deal. I took the the gun to the range a couple of hours ago ran several brands of ammo though it (reloads, Federal and Magtech) and I was getting pelted in the face on regular intervals. Anyone familiar with this? Is this a common problem?

Second, I have the standard sights on my gun but my rear sights seem to have faded to the point where they are dim and hard to see in low light. Do sights fade out over time and need to be replaced or just cleaned better? How do you clean sights?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Seems like I have had to dodge ejected shells once or twice from my 845, maybe twice out of about 500 rounds. The white dot sights on my 845 also get dirty. I clean them with a q-tip.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Seems like I have had to dodge ejected shells once or twice from my 845, maybe twice out of about 500 rounds. The white dot sights on my 845 also get dirty. I clean them with a q-tip.
old tooth brush works pretty good to clean the white dots.
as for ejector slinging hot brass at your grill thats not good, maybe the ejector has a burr or chipped edge?

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
This should solve the problem.

My G30 used to send them where they would hit the top of my head. I don't shoot it sideways but I do angle it a bit.

Makes me look cool too. LOL
Outstanding, and more truth than poetry in that one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I personally use Rem oil or Hoppe's. Just make sure what ever solvent/cleaner you are using will not harm the plastic. There are a lot of poly safe cleaners out on the market.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Two things:

First, I've had my PT 809 for years now and every so often it would eject the shells in my face. No big deal. I took the the gun to the range a couple of hours ago ran several brands of ammo though it (reloads, Federal and Magtech) and I was getting pelted in the face on regular intervals. Anyone familiar with this? Is this a common problem?

Second, I have the standard sights on my gun but my rear sights seem to have faded to the point where they are dim and hard to see in low light. Do sights fade out over time and need to be replaced or just cleaned better? How do you clean sights?
My full-size 809 likes to bean me on top of my head. I did extensive research on it, and it is a common occurrence only with this model and not the 809C.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
The ejection problem could be the extractor or the ejector, or a combination of both.

Read this: Ejection Issues

It's for 1911's but the principles are the same.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'll say it again, the full-size 809 has a design tendency to eject brass straight back at you. There have been several forum members that sent their 809 back to Taurus with this complaint, and Taurus sent them a brand new 809 that had the same ejection problem. Just do a forum/Google search on it, and many references will pop up.

·
Banned
379 Posts
does the other 800 series have the same issue?

I occassionally have one spent case that goes Up & may either fall at my feet or top of my head (normally wearing a ball cap) but the majority of my 809 spent casings fall about 4 o'clock about 6 feet away from me.. I guess having over 2000 rounds down range has mine ''broken in'' from spitting the hot brass at my face..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My 809 has never ejected the brass into my face, but on several occasions it has hit the upper area of my ball cap or has landed on top of my cap. It wasn't unusual to come home from the range and find spent casings in my shirt pocket or even my pants pocket. My full-size 809 is the only handgun I own that randomly does this. Taurus knew about this and tweaked the newer models by slightly bending the ejector, but that still hasn't eliminated it completely.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Does it do that with all the ammo you've tried, or just certain ones. Something with a little more power might solve the problem...possibly!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Does it do that with all the ammo you've tried, or just certain ones. Something with a little more power might solve the problem...possibly!
It will randomly do it with all the ammo I have used, which includes various weight Speer Lawman, Remington UMC, American Eagle and Freedom Munitions. My 809 is one of the newer tweaked ejector models. The shell ejection isn't a functional problem, but it can get annoying at times.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I mentioned in the original post the brands of ammo I used and it was all 124 grain. I picked up a couple of boxes of 115 grain American Eagle after that range session to see if that may make a difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts