Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buds and Armslist are selling PT 809's / 809's but the gun now has distinctly new styling. The slide is much taller now, and it appears that the barrel is 4 inches instead of 4.2 inches now. Look at the image below to see the new style on the left (with newr serial number) next to the old one on the right...

New vs Old PT 809:

Has anyone seen this new style in person yet? Also the beaver tail has been truncated, the hammer is shorter, and now has a hollow circle in it. But the new style looks far more top heavy, which would take away from what I love about the gun. Bud's is selling this new style for $275. I own a PT845 myself. I checd Taruus Brazil, Taurus Exports, and Taurus USA, and while the gun is listed for sales on the Brazil and Export sites... The Export site lists an new "PT 809 E:" model that looks like the new gun, but with the old hammer, and the new bigger slide (though the serrations on the slide are different, and its is angeled off at the top instead of rounded, and its labelling is different... BTW They also list the new T9H and TH9 guns that look identical too eacher other, and look a lot like the new "E" 800 series)

The PT 809E - It doesn't look much at all like the one shown on Buds; it has different serrations on the slide, and the slide is angeled instead of rounded, it has the old frame, and has the old hammer. Otherwise this is the gun is a normal PT809 (The slide is actually the slide used on the new TH series, but the frame is from the traditional 800 series). See Taurus Exports webpage ( PT 809E - 800 series - Pistols - Taurus Export ). The full size picture can be seen if you scroll down though the list of the 3 different 809 variations. Small Image here:

The Three different guns on top of each other:

Traditional PT 809 / 809:

New PT 809 / 809 for sale on Buds and Armslist:

New PT 809E / 809E from Taurus Exports ( PT 809E - 800 series - Pistols - Taurus Export ):

By the Way check out all the different Models available in Brazil and for Export that are now sold in the USA, and many not sold even in Brazil:

Brazil Products:
Pistolas - Taurus Armas

Export Products:
Pistols - Taurus Export

Both have unique Pistols on each. Hopefully some of these awesome guns become available in the United States.

ALSO The PT840 has been redesigned, though the name has not been changed, and looks just like the new 809E except there is no E after its name.

New design of the
PT 840:

EDIT - These are the T series also posted on Taurus Exports, but are listed separate from the 809E and 840. So both the 809E and 840 are also posted on taurus exports with updated styling, but as you can see, they are completely different guns in many ways from the 800 series (even the updated versions). And both are for sale still from them, and are different firearms. It seemed there was some confusion that I was talking about these, which I am not. But here they are in case you wanted to see them. The link that has all the guns on it is http://www.taurusexport.com/en/products/pistols

Taurus TH9:

Taurus T9 H:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Has anyone seen the PT 809E or the new PT 809 shown. When I overlay the pistols the handles and trigger card overlap exactly on the old and new versions of the PT 809; but the slide and plastic below the slide, on the new one is taller... and the length of the barrel is apparently shorter. I have not overlayed the 809E with 809, but they look to be the same sizes all around, with unique styling on the PT 809E (and the new PT 840). Surely someone has seen one of these? They didn't have them at Shot-Show, they did have the new T9H, TH9, an d T9. Those being the Hammer and non Hammer versions. They also had those in 40 S&W: T40H, TH40 and T40. I would love to know if anyone has gotten their hands on these as well.

Thanks.

P.S.
You can see the new pistols on the Export Website: Pistols - Taurus Export
You can also see the unique Brazilian guns on the Brazil page (like the PT 838, PT 838C, and PT648; I really want a PT838 & 838C): Pistolas - Taurus Armas

·
Registered
4,744 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A larger comparison photo to make clearer what I am asking (click the option to view full size):

I see some have posted the new T series. But T series (T9H, TH9, T9, T40H, TH40, and T40) have completely different grip styling and texture than the aforementioned new PT 809E and the PT 809 with the different hammer, slide, and beaver tale posted on Buds. Also There seems to be some confusion as to which gun I posted is the newer version and which is the older. According to the serial numbers, for the 809 (not the new 809E) the one with hole in the hammer, and the truncated beaver-tail, is the newer of the two. But it is strangely reminiscent of the 600 series in its serration styles... so maybe the serial numbers are not reliable, and the image used on Buds is just actually an older version of the PT 809, not a newer version... I'd love if anyone can verify what the gun actually is (edit: FreeInAZ seems to have thought this too, so I think its actually an older version). Since the hammer-guns, the T series, are using the same basic design as the 809 and 809E, I'm thinking the image posted on Buds and Armslist, though a new image to my knowledge, is actually a picture of an older version of the 809 that was never released. But any confirmation on that would be great.

None of the newer PT 809/809E or PT840 ( see http://www.taurusexport.com/en/products/pistols ) have the grip style some mentioned that the T series has (also shown on the Taurus export website). If you follow the link to Taurus exports you will see they are listed as completely different models and are distinctly different in both slide and grip. http://www.taurusexport.com/en/products/pistols

I'm particularly interested to see if anyone has seen the 809E shown on http://www.taurusexport.com/en/products/pistols, the 809 from https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...7920/Taurus+809+9mm+17+++1+Round+wBlue+Finish, or the new 840 also posted on the Taurus Exports page? (Pictures of each in the OP)

I added Pictures of the separately listed T series guns to the OP just so you can see the differences between them and the updated 800 series also listed on the same products page.

*Note for Cariwine: You are looking only at the TaurusUSA catalog. TaurusUSA never lists all the products Taurus makes. For that you have to visit their Brazilian site, and their Export site. I posted links in the original post. Below is a truncated screen-grab of their pistols page, containing the "hammer guns" I mentioned in this thread:

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
AHH, does Buds not have a disclaimer on the site that states the Pictures May not be a true representation of the weapon and that they are from manufactures sources?
I am not a big Buds guy but I do think I remember that on the site.

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
Well there are different hammers installed on these two 800's all my 845 have the "no hole" hammer. ??? Maybe a design change early on?
IF those that have been around for a while will ask themselves?
Just how many times in the past have we seen renditions/ prototypes of different new offerings that looked several different ways depending on when they were put out?
and a lot of these weapons actually never hit the market in the end anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah I now think that even though the image on Buds is new, the image is actually that of an old prototype PT 809 which was never released. I especially think that since the new 809E and TH9 both use the same frame shape as the traditional PT809 with different slides (the TH9 uses a different grip texture, but the frame is still the same shape, and the even the back-straps use the same mold shape). If it was really a new design, why would the T series TH9 not use that shape instead of the 800 series shape. It must be an old version. Thanks for the input.

That being said, has anyone seen the new 809E or 840 with the new slide like the slides used on the T series?

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
For what it's worth, I looked at the 2008 Catalog when the 809 was introduced. The picture there is of the "old" spur hammer design, not the one up on Bud's. I can't find a picture like Bud's anywhere in any of their catalogs. I have no idea where that pic came from but I bet if you order one that's not what you'll get.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I like the T9H pistol it still has the hammer I'm not sure but I think the T model is hammerless I think that is what I read but the TH9 and the T9H are nice looking Pistols I wish they would change the 380's to at least one 38 super or bring it back in the PT 1911's
Sometimes this auto correct spelling is a real pain in the !$#+?!#=!!. I say enough stupid things without this tablet helping me out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know how I could import a Taurus 838c from Taurus Brazil?

·
Registered
36,802 Posts
Anyone know how I could import a Taurus 838c from Taurus Brazil?
I don't but I bet you that BATF can explain it to you!
I would imagine the hoops that you would need to jump through and the cost as well as wait time would likely change your mind about importing a weapon that doesn't meet import regulations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry the striker version is called the T9S while the hammer version is the T9H. It is a different gun I can tell by looking at it. It looks to me that it is a brand new gun that I have never seen from Taurus.

Below is a picture of the T9S and T9Sc, the compact version:

Here is the T9S next to the T9H:

Here is an article about them:

The new Taurus T Series Pistols:
The new Taurus T Series pistols - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Notice the lack of slide release on the "new" version 809 in the op pic. I like the shorter hammer and beaver tail though. Just wish they would address the cheesy looking grips.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just bought a full sized 809 in grey a couple weeks ago and it looks like an 809 always did. Looks just like the one I had about 3 years ago, and the one my friend has had since the model was introduced.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
The hammer and slide of the "new" 809 looks like it came off of a 900 series pistol.

3949Taurus_PT909B.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts