Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new PT809. I have to say I'm pleased with everything thus far except the decocking lever. it doesn't seem to work. I'm new to guns so maybe I'm just not using it right, but it seems pretty straight forward - just push the lever down. but it doesn't decock the hammer like it should. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know how to fix it? I dread the thought of having to send it back to Taurus, but I guess I may have to.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Do not have an 800 series, but my 24/7 decocker, works by pushing the lever up past safe, then it drops back to safe position? apparently the 800's are different?

When you decock the 809c (or any of the 800 series) the hammer falls harmlessly and the decock/safety lever returns to the "fire" position. The safety can then be engaged by moving the lever up a notch or (as most of us prefer) leave it in the "fire" position.
Your first shot will be DA and all subsequent shots SA.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I have the 845.
With the hammer cocked-I can easily push the S/D lever with my thumb -up for safe, or down with a little pressure required to de-cock.
Never had any kind of problem with mine in over 2 years.

Mine has a serial number in the NBX 28,000 range, just for reference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

After your post, Robby, I tried pushing it up past safe just to see what happened. It didn't do anything, but then I tried pushing down on the lever as I had previously, and it worked! Perhaps the lever was just stiff since it is a new gun? Anyway, it works now and I am very happy. This will save me the trouble of having to send it back to Taurus to get it fixed.

Side note: I took it to the range for the 2nd time a couple days ago and shot 100 rounds. It performed great. I had one spent shell get caught in the slide while being ejected, and one jam feeding from the mag. Two minor problems out of 100 shots doesn't seem bad to me! :) I'm looking forward to taking the carry permit class at my local armory now, and feeling safer being able to safely decock the hammer and leave it in DA mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts