Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new 745 to the range for the first time today. It wouldn't feed the first round. Finally got it to load round 1 and then it jammed 3 more times on the first mag. Jammed once on the 2nd mag. Probably jammed twice more the rest of the time I shot it. Probably 60 rounds in all.

I was really disappointed on that first mag, but it seemed to get better the longer I shot. It shoots low. I'm going to have to adjust my point of aim to compensate. It was really fun to shoot, though.

I'm looking forward to my next trip to the range!

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Did you clean and oil the gun before you headed out? They have eben known to do that without doing so, but if you did, maybe it's just break in pains.

·
Registered
876 Posts
With the new sights, remember, the front sight needs to cover the part of the target you're aiming at.

If you put the target on top of the front sight dot, your point of impact will be lower than you intend.

tman

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. I did clean it before my range trip, so I'm hoping it was just break-in pains.

I'm still working on my shooting technique. I'm new to this and don't get to shoot often, so it's going to take me awhile.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just an off-the-wall questions... Were you shooting hollow points or solid points? It might be a good idea to run a couple hundred solid points through it to get it smoothed out, before putting hollow points through. Sometimes hollow points, due to the way the bullet is shaped, have a harder time feeding than solid points. A couple hundred rounds of practice ammo (WWB or similar) should help.

If not, take advantage of the Taurus lifetime warranty...

Todd

·
32,702 Posts
How you grip and the gun plays a lot into this. Limp wristing could be a problem. Hold the wrist in a locked position straight out when firing. A crush grip may be needed.Small pistols usually need this. Put as much squeeze on the grip and frame with your hands as possible without starting to quiver or having any pain. Doesn't have to be excessive grip. Just very firm. Are you using the straight thumbs up or thumbs down when firing? Thumbs straight out and down use can make contact with the slide release or the slide itself inadvertantly when shooting this way. Thumbs down hold on the frame and grip can rectify the problem. Hold the thumbs in the down position on the frame. That may be seem obvious after the forst sentence ,but it had to be said. :) Could be the ammo as BoneDigger has opined. Certain wide mouthed hollowpoints or truncated shaped ammo can hang up on feedramps of certain pistols. Means a a more ogive or round nose design needs to be used or not so wide a JHP nose needs to be used. Can be the magazine. Have they been cleaned or taken apart? The factory mags produced by companies can sometimes have the springs or something put together backwards or slightly off kilter.Is the magazine being driven home and locking solidly when inserted? Sometimes a light tap to the bottom of the mag after it is inserted into the mag well, is enough to seat it fully. Is the magazine spring weak? This can drop the mag all the way or just a small ways out of the mag well. Hard to notice if not looking for the small things. It happens to us all at one time or another.That should hopefully cover things for you with all that has been posted by our respondents. Let us know how things progress. You say you are new to the pistol. There are methods of operation and experience you will gain to become proficient with that pistol. We all have to go through getting used to the form and function of our type of pistol. And each pistol has its own characteristics to get used to. Doesn't sound like a trip back to Taurus is in the cards just yet. Have a mentor or someone who is knowledgeable watch your grip, stance, and sighting technique if you can.They might be able to offer a critique of all the discussed items here and give positive feedback. Even if little corrections need to be made. I have had mentors or other shooters give credible advice. Even took an NRA basic course on handguns to get up to snuff. Local gun ranges may have such classes with accredited instructors. Gun clubs should as well. Good luck and happy trails.

·
32,702 Posts
No problem. Happy to oblige. Started out as a self taught revolver man and learned early on that listening and observing came in mighty handy. One nice thing about the shooting fraternity is that most people are eager to share any wisdom or knowledge they have. They do so in a quite unassuming manor. Semi-auto shooting became hard at first try. Had others notice the troubles and frustration being present and they all gave up their time to foster better shooting skills. Can't say enough about the nameless and selfless shooters. Owe a lot to them all.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Now that I reread your initial post, I realize that you and I are having some of the same problems with our 745's.

Mine feeds WWB and Blazer 230 gr. ball ammo just fine. It's having a lot more trouble with HP's. I posted on the "smithing" section the other day. On Sunday afternoon I ran 60+ rounds through it. All of the ball ammo fed perfectly.

The Corbon +P 185 gr HP's sucked. I shot two mags and had to push the slide forward when I racked the slide. The first two rounds of each mag actually locked the slide open with the lever. The last 4 of each fired w/out hangups.

Two mags of Gold Dot 185 HP's followed. Had the same issue when racking the slide on each mag. Had to assist it forward. The slide hung-up for a fraction of a second on when cycling after the first round, but then the rest of the twelve went smoothly (except for the forward assist).

I've put about 150 rounds through it total so far. I won't use +P again. The recoil is a little too hot for my taste. The GD's is noticeably lesser and more comfortable to shoot.

Listen to the advice given here. It's worth a heck of a lot more than we're charged for it! ;)

tman

·
32,702 Posts
Was the 745 designed with +P in mind? The recoil impulse may have been set by the engineers for standard pressure loads. Though the catalog may say +P usage is OK, the fact remains that the physics for this might not work out as planned by the owners. Corbon has been known to use Sierra Bullets that have a very wide hollowpoint. Even if the bullet is a different make, the size of the hollowpoint or the bullet ogive may be a form that won't feed well in small pistols. Happens with many other brands as well. The Star BM is one short pistol that will feed just about anything. Even the wide mouthed JHPs. In a smaller pistol the feed ramp may be too steep or does not have as much metal for the bullet to be guided up the ramp and into the chamber. Using a JHP that has a less agressive JHP nose might be the answer. JHPs are not going to expand that much,even with +P monikers. The velocity just isn't there to begin with. Most of the powder,gas, and energy are wasted outside the short barrel. Something with a narrower feed profile should be looked at. In longer barreled pistols the powder has enough room to convert the energy into something that reaches efficent use of such. +Ps higher pressures will also batter the frame,slide and internal parts causing accelerated wear. While I understand the need for increased speed that is needed for possible bullet expansion, there are penalties for using high pressure loads.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't think the 745 was designed w/ +P in mind, but when I was looking at HP's for the break-in period, they were available. I never intended to make them a normal round to shoot.

I admit that I'm a little depressed over the feeding issues, since I'm a fan of expanding bullets. I understand that the general recommendations for short barreled .45's is for <200 gr.s.

Any other suggestions for a pointier nosed round?

tman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts