Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PT 745 MilPro doesn't want to feed HP's. I've narrowed the problem somewhat. The magazine has a little downward pressure from the slide stop, and this forces the mag downward about 1/8 inch.

When I rack the slide, the slide sticks back with the round stuck against the bottom of the feed ramp. If I put upward pressure on the mag, the slide slams home.

Comments? Advice?

BTW, it has had no issues with the WWB I've fed it. I've tried two different brands of HP's...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It might just need more breaking in. I was able to cycle a couple of mags of HP through with less trouble. I dont' consider the gun broken in yet...Only about 100 rounds through it so far..

tman

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I suspect that you're on the right track. Give it another 100 rds or so and see how it goes.

I'm wondering if the feed lips are a hair out of spec at the front, causing the mag to keep the front of the round down a hair, when you hit the bottom of the bag, you give the round the the slight jump it needs to make it up the ramp (with the help of the slide). Do you have any additional mags you could try?

I'd also suggest trying more JHP loads to see what your gun likes. Absolute worse case, you end up using either Federals EFMJ or Corbon's Powerball. These are both expanding loads that have the same profile and feed as well as ball.

Steelheart

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little update:

Went to the range yesterday and put several mags of Blazer and then two mags of my Gold Dots. Perfect performance from the gun (lack of accuracy isn't the gun's fault).

I figure that another box of GD's without any probs and I will switch to those for my carry ammo.

Too soon?

tman

·
32,661 Posts
It is recommended that a pistol be broken in with a least 200 rounds of any type before considering it for self defense. This includes 100 to 200 rounds of the load you will carry just to be sure. Some sources claim that only a hundred rounds need to go down range of the load you pick. As long as 100 or so for break in have also been shot down range already. Budget constraints may not allow you to do this right away. Better to shoot that many rounds to break the pistol in rather than find out in a fight that the particular defense round you picked causes problems. It might take a little more time, but your life is worth making sure there are no hiccups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts