Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
quick question, I just got a PT 740 slim
and was wondering what you folks would recommend for self defense ammo, I have been using Golden Saber and Hornady Tap in my other 40's
Thanks

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Pretty much any modern JHP or BHP ammo will perform similarly to another brand. No one wants to be left behind in the arms races, so reliability in expansion is one of their biggest concerns. I would say find out which ammo your 740 likes the best, as some perform better in different guns than others. In the case of my 945, it has given me good results from Winchester PDX1's, Remington Golden Sabres, Hornday FTX Series, and pretty much any 230 gr. FMJ rounds except TulAmmo.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Hi All,
quick question, I just got a PT 740 slim
and was wondering what you folks would recommend for self defense ammo, I have been using Golden Saber and Hornady Tap in my other 40's
Thanks
Either of those brands are excellent choices!

Personally, I use Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement ammo for concealed carry purposes in my PT740 Slim.

My LGS bought a special deal on this particular ammo and sold me four boxes for $15.00 per box. It was an offer I couldn't refuse, so to speak. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I was concerned about the short barrell , looks like nothing to worry about, didnt think it would be just wanted confirmation.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Looks like you already have made some great ammo choices. Let me also add my favorite to the list: Federal's Hydra-shok hollowpoints.......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I settled on Hornady critical defense 165 gr.
Thanks everyone for your imput.
Jim

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I settled on Hornady critical defense 165 gr.
Thanks everyone for your imput.
Jim
Excellent choice. I carry that in my PT 140 and it shows very well, indeed. And it expands 100% of the time. Don't worry about the barrel length. My concealed carry pistol has a short barrel and it prints sub 3" groups at 25 yards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts