Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a PT 709 with Crimson Trace sights. Love it. Have 1000+ rounds through it with hardly any issue except Winchester white box ammo. It just hangs up in my gun. My question is, I was selling my 709 for a 740 until I heard from a indoor range owner in my area that sells Taurus pistols He has had 2 separate times when the 740 fired out of battery at his place. Not sure if this is possible, but none the less has anyone heard of this? I have shot the 740 several times as my Brother owns one and it shot smother than my 709 with no issues at all. Any comments or advice would be great as I still want to buy a 740. Thanks.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My PT740 has never malfunctioned. I've owned it for over a year now, and it is my everyday concealed carry pistol.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Never heard of an issue where a 740 shot out of battery, that story seems like it's missing some details to me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine did double fire, after about 500 rounds, sent back to Taurus they had it about 5 days. Has around 500 down range since repair all is good. Very happy with pistol. I also put a CT sight on it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Montkun, I agree with you. I plan to go to the shooting range and talk with the guy. I did not think they could fire with the slide opened even a small amount. Also, I found out the Academy in my area is not carrying it now. Not sure why.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's an enormous amount of brand snobbery amongst gun shop and range staff. You gotta remember that they are usually Cop wannabes that failed the physical or the psych. They usually don't know much about what they're selling, so they bash guns that are affordable. 22 years ago they made up lies about glocks too. I give zero value to their opinions. Do research yourself and ignore them. I usually end up telling them "just order the gun or I'm going elsewhere". I have a PT745 and a PT740 slim that I bought against their advice and after several thousands of rounds, I'm happy with both. The 740 has been wonderful.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
It's like when I went to buy a Hi-Point at on shop, the guy behind the counter laughed and said "What do you want one of those junkers for? I don't have any, can't keep them in stock." So when I said that there ".... must be something they're doing right if they list you as a local retailer and you can't keep them in stock."

I stopped even browsing, walked out and never went back there. 10 minutes down the road and across a bridge is where I found my 945, and they actually had a Hi-Point .45 that I could hold and feel in hand. Also, the guy behind the counter took an hour out of his time to show me a number of guns in my price range. Best part of it was he didn't even work there, just hangs out so his wife isn't alone in the shop. He even cleaned up my P64 just to take it apart and see how well it's held up inside since 1976.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...Also, I found out the Academy in my area is not carrying it now. Not sure why.
I daresay it is not because the handgun is unreliable.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Willing to bet they can't make them fast enough to supply the demand.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Had mine out today for the first time and only threw 100 rounds down range, but no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I own a PT 709 with Crimson Trace sights. Love it. Have 1000+ rounds through it with hardly any issue except Winchester white box ammo. It just hangs up in my gun.
Winchester White Box 9mm 115gr FMJ chokes my 709 also, but the .40 FMJ works fine in the 740.

·
Registered
157 Posts
no issues here, all mine ever wants is more ammo !!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
PT740 shoots point-of-aim?

My PT740 has never malfunctioned. I've owned it for over a year now, and it is my everyday concealed carry pistol.
I'm considering one of these. I have heard on-line some comments about the gun not shooting point-of-aim (usually low left), beyond the adjustment capability of the rear sight. Would someone comment on whether your PT740 shoots point of aim? Thanks. Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts