Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im posting this because of a few other posts Ive come across about a seemingly confusing question. What does the PT 740/709 come with?
About a month ago I purchased a PT 740 from Academy Sports, I paid 299.00 plus tax/nics. The young man helping me couldnt find the "case" for the gun but after a few minutes of searching came up with one. I asked him if this came with 2 mags thinking because its a "Taurus" they throw in the kitchen sink as well. Anyway, I brought my new firearm home and called Taurus with my question. I gave the serial number from the gun and the feller from Taurus said that this was the basic model in that it only comes with a box and one mag, keeping the price low. Since then Ive been thinking I got away with a little mistake from Academy but this morning I actually took notice of the skew label on the case. All the numbers match my gun, the serial number on the case is the same as the gun. Interesting I think?

Not sure if theres a point to this or an answer, lol. Just wanted to share my finds.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Curious if your numbers match my numbers, bought from Academy and came with PT740SS, plastic box, 2-mags, brush and (2)TSS keys.

1-740039 and 7-25327-60808-0

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My up ends with a 3, my serial begins with an FZ. Im not sure what the story is here. Maybe it depends on the particular store selling the gun. I guess if we dig deeper and call Taurus they may have more answers. Im not sure Im that motivated but certainly warrants curiousity

Tuesday the wife and I take our CCW class at the Armory Excited!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
The way it was posted once a long time ago is the hard case has 2 mags, 2 security keys, a cleaning brush and the pistol.
The low bucks version comes in a cardboard box with the pistol, 1 mag and a key.
Oh, and both have the user manual.
I think.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats correct according to Taurus. However mine came with plastic case,1 mag,cleaning brush,2 keys,manual,nra offer. Price was 299.00

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Maybe they did away with the cardboard box.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im gonna say that the cardboard box would last longer than the plastic case. I can see where the latches will break off after about 51 open/closes : )

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have guessed the front latches to break first. Ill remember your fix!

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
The difference is the 3 & 9. Both my 708 and 740 came with 2-mags 1-740039 / 1-708039

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just bought a 709 less than a week ago for $299. came in a cardboard box with a gun one mag owners manual nra offer and 2 keys

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I just bought a 740 this week at my local GS not academy for 299 plus tax and it came with the plastic case one mag two keys and the brush. When I bought my 709 a while back it came with one mag and a card board box for same price I think now they are throwing in the plastic box and brush with the cheaper price.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The 'FS' models are your least expensive and they come in a cardboard box with one magazine.
But you still get the same great PT740 (or 709) as the bigger bucks package. :clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts