Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I plan on putting some more rounds through my PT 738, is there any particular ammo that works better than others in these guns?

I took it out Saturday and ran 50 rounds of Winchester White Box through it, no issues. I then ran 16 rounds of Gold Dots through it, no issues (but Gold Dots don't seem to hand rack well).

I thought I'd try Federal or maybe just stick with Winchester for another 50 rounds and decide on a good carry ammo to buy and run a few rounds through it as well.

Just looking for your experiences to hopefully cut the trial and error part a little shorter.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
When you say it does not hand rack well, are you letting go of the slide completely or are you guiding it closed. If you are guiding it closed try just letting go of the slide and see if it does better.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've used Speers Gold Dot Law Enforcement ammo and Corbon JHPs in mine for concealed carry and they both cycle like a dream.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I let that slide go full force like a slingshot and bring it all the way back.

Hopefully a little more rounds down range today will help.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 738 does not like to hand cycle self defense ammo. It shoots it just fine though.
I've run 3 boxes of Gold Dot and they were 100% as were the 350 rounds of S & B fmj rn loads.
I spent a long time cleaning up the fit and finish but I expected that for the price ($199 new).
This is my first pocket pistol and I love it. I expected nothing in terms of accuracy over 21 feet and I have been extremely impressed with how accurate it is even at 70 feet. Great gun/great price.

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
Just looking for your experiences to hopefully cut the trial and error part a little shorter.
Thanks
Well generally speaking any FMJ is going to be the best at function across the board in all weapons.
but if you are asking about self defense ammo, well there is no way to cut trial and error as every pistol is different as to likes and dislikes.
Hornady Critical defense (FTX) has a very good record in functioning in a wide range of pistols, but then My particular TCP and Bersa and Sig 238 will run on gold dot, pure copper projectiles, Golden sabre, hornady FTX. so you just got to try them in your particualr weapon to be sure!
Remember there are no time outs in a gun fight to clear a jam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts