Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a used PT-709 Slim from my father in law, and he mentioned he was going to have a trigger job done to it before he shipped it but did not get around to it. I contacted one of my LGS owners to see if this is something they could do and got told that they don't do them on this model. Is there anyone on here who has had this done, and more specifically tell what they had done to theirs so I can tell him this?

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
The only thing I have done to mine is make certain it was completely cleaned when new and then shoot the gun a lot. The trigger is quite good on it. The trigger in my 709 will never be mistaken for a good single action 1911 trigger but it's very good.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I agree with darbo - the best "trigger job" you can do to a 709 is shooting about 300 rounds through it. Mine just got better after the 200 round mark.
But, clean it very well first, and lightly lube it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I detail stripped my 709's frame and slide and cleaned everything. There are some tiny parts, springs, even loose ball bearings!

The SA pull with restrike capability makes for a strange animal under the hood. The SA sear can be lightly polished, but its MIM so no stoning. The striker leg can be polished as well, but don't change the geometry.

Guys have removed the SA sear, effectively making it a DAO, with reports of light strikes. I don't recommend it, which is too bad, because the DA trigger is nicer and breaks sooner.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Mine is just fine, and the points made are good. They do get better after the 200-300 mark and I think that the trigger is pretty good just as it is. I would not do anything until you have had a chance to familiarize yourself with it. You may just like it the way it is. Next I would like to ask if your father in law has any more guns he would like to give away? I would like to get in that line!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is just fine, and the points made are good. They do get better after the 200-300 mark and I think that the trigger is pretty good just as it is. I would not do anything until you have had a chance to familiarize yourself with it. You may just like it the way it is. Next I would like to ask if your father in law has any more guns he would like to give away? I would like to get in that line!
Thanks for all the replies.. I should have mentioned this was his every day firearm in his truck, and it was used well before sent to me. I didn't really think the trigger was bad in it except he told me he had a guy who would do a trigger job for $60, but he sent it my way before it was done.

He's a good guy and knew that I just got my CCW permit here in NY, so he supplied me with my first firearm..

regards & thanks again..

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not sure I see the point in a trigger job on a 709/740 unless there is something actually wrong with trigger function/operation. Normally, the purpose of a trigger job is to make the trigger smoother and to reduce trigger force. For a concealed-carry gun you really don't want a super-light trigger and I find 5-7 pounds force just about right. Some buffing (in the firing pin block and disconnector areas) may improve smoothness during the initial "take-up" but the actual trigger function is pretty crisp, at least on the older models; and they tend to smooth out as they are used, anyway. Finally, the sear slides on a bracket that appears to be MIM (not machined metal) so I doubt traditional trigger job techniques (e.g. stoning and polishing) would improve friction here. Besides, those surfaces are pretty inaccessible. Many guns have been ruined by bad "trigger jobs". Personally, if your trigger works OK now (reasonable, consistent force) I think any additional trigger work would be just asking for trouble.

Having said all that, I did have a problem with my 709 trigger; the trigger force was inconsistent (3-12 pounds at random) and the sear sometimes failed to catch the striker. In my case, adjusting the sear spring (to increase force on the sear) and cleaning fixed the problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I took apart my firing pin assembly on my 740 and found manufacturing metal shaving in it.Removed the shaving and trigger was smoother.So if you feel inclined to do so, inspect the firing pin assembly/channel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like the trigger on my 709. It took some getting used to, but now I like it. I don't think I would want it changed and a good cleaning and light lube keeps it working fine. After a few problems when I first got my 709 it has preformed flawlessly every time I go to the range. I wish I didn't have to watch my ammo use so closely so I could shoot it more often, but guess that is the way it will be for awhile.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
They get better and better the more you dry fire and put rounds downrange.mine has lightened considerably as time has gone on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts