Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I am a PT709 owner that I have had superb service from but I have been hearing that they are no longer being made, does anyone know if this is true? I know there have been issues with getting mags for this particular model but I believe they are pretty popular, at least in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
First that I heard THAT rumor.

I's on page 3 of carry pistols - no 'discontinued' stamp on it as is their way.

709 "SLIM" 9MM IN BLUE STEEL <<<LINK

·
Registered
922 Posts
Probably a rumor. If its still in the Taurus website, then they are still making it.

The magazine shortage issue has been ongoing and has nothing to do with production of the 709.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Actually this is the 2nd time I have read that on here in the last week or so.

All I can say is I would be real surprised if they did discontinue it.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
It's still in the catalog so it must be available. I do, however, believe that Taurus has discontinued the magazines (not clips) for the 709, 740, 24/7 G2C 40, etc, etc, etc...
Hahaha! That's funny, cause its true ;)

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
One of the sad conditions accompanying a success in America is that demand always outstrips supply, often for long periods. We see it in electronics, automobiles, and even clothing. With the upsurge in purchasing of firearms that started when Obammy took office, and has continued unabated as both laws changed to enable CCW, and with the simple-minded posturing of Obammy, his appointees, and various Altzheimer-like Congressional Representatives.

Manufacturers usually manufacture magazines based on a percentage of projected gun sales. Not everyone wants, or NEEDS, a half-dozen magazines for their gun. Funnily, many are shipped with TWO magazines from the factory, and lose one to Distributors, or Dealers upon arrival. Sig suffered the same fate in the early 2000s. It's NOT Taurus responsibility to police what anyone does with it's products after they are sold. I bought a PT709 Slim last year. It came with 2 magazines. I purchased a PT638 on Black Friday, and it also came with 2 15 round mags.

Unlike small businesses, larger manufacturers, especially in today's "just in time" business model , have to plan runs making models, parts, and spares like magazines. Being human, they aren't always capable of reading the American market. Add to that the fact that America is one of only a few nations where "military calibers" are allowed into the civilian population.

Like with rim-fire ammunition, WE are the reason that supplies are running out on a regular basis.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
It believe it could be true. Superseded by the "G2" now in the catalog as FS.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
I'm with those that say rumor.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Has to be a rumor since smaller handguns are in now.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
If it were to be discontinued, it would only be due to a newer model forthcoming to replace it. Win-win either way, imo.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I just heard Glock is buying Tuarus. The combined company will only manufacture the S&W bodyguard in 8 and 3/4 inch mm caliber. Ill has confirmed it as the only concealed hand gun for license issue.
The two inch barrel model comes with it's own bi-pod.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is the kind of rumor that "someone" might start to spur on some lagging sales. Could be anyone from a LGS owner all the way to the manufacturer! I know sales can vary by season and location but the LGSs in my area (western WI) are awash with guns! Magazines, no! .22 cal ammo, no! But guns aplenty. I think that some of these shops just may have over bought not expecting the "bubble" to burst. Gun prices seem to have stabilized and just may have to drop somewhat as did the AR & AKs have over the past year or so. During the feeding frenzy that followed the past two Presidential elections, corporate greed took over fueled by individual fear of the consumers. Now the shops have huge overstocks that are costing them money.
No, I don't think that the 709 is on the "extinction" list quite yet.
Flex

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I don't think the 709 or any of the Slims are being discontinued.....BUT since my LGS is the #1 Taurus distributor and retailer in the USA and their price has dropped to $219 (as when they are trying to clear inventory), I would say there is a high probably of an update (709G2, or Slim-Gen2?) on the way.

BTW, they have lots and lots of .22LR and .22Mag RF on the shelves.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Administrator
17,818 Posts
Ha! Next April is a few months off yet. ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just heard Glock is buying Tuarus. The combined company will only manufacture the S&W bodyguard in 8 and 3/4 inch mm caliber. Ill has confirmed it as the only concealed hand gun for license issue.
The two inch barrel model comes with it's own bi-pod.
I gotsta have one!!! LGS says they're on back-order at his distributor. Mags won't be available for a least a year ;-(. (even for the new guns). Walmart sporting goods guy has already called his "buds" to come and buy the 8 and 3/4 inch mm cal ammo that's in the shipment that will almost make it to the shelves at 2 AM tomorrow morning. Guess I'm glad I don't live in IL. Almost forgot, is there a "LASER" available?

·
Administrator
35,300 Posts
I sure see the 709 at a lot of gun shows, doesn't seem to be endangered to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts