Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago I bought my daughters each a PT-111. I was very impressed, especially how empty mags jumped right out.
We looked at the 709 too but they liked the higher capacity of the 111.

Anyway, last month I tracked down a store that had 709s and bought one and an extra Magazine. I've shot over 50 rounds and the only gripe I have it that the empty Magazines have to be pulled out.

It feels like the internal Mag Release is dragging on the Magazine. Even when I insert a Magazine, when it hits the internal Mag Release you can feel it start to drag.

Is there a fix for this that I can perform?

Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't recall hearing of that issue before. It certainly shouldn't be that way. If no one comes up with a good solution maybe try contacting Taurus, via the web chat soon after they go online. It seems to get a quicker response than a phone call.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I don't recall hearing of that issue before. It certainly shouldn't be that way. If no one comes up with a good solution maybe try contacting Taurus, via the web chat soon after they go online. It seems to get a quicker response than a phone call.
I haven't heard of that issue either? One of my mags won't eject fully with a full mag but will when empty. I'd talk to Taurus about it?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Both my 709 and G2 did that when new. Now after many rounds they don't. Probably due to initial tight tolerances.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since starting this thread a few days ago I've been messing with the pistol Mag Release a lot, over 100 times.
With a full Mag in closed and open slide and with empty Mag with closed and open slide.

I've come to the conclusion that the problem I'm having is ME and my technique, not the gun.
1. My small hands. I have to turn the pistol in my hand to reach the slide release.
2. Weak strength in my "old man" hands.

I've found that I need both hands to hold the pistol and press the slide release firmly and long enough for the Mag to drop on its own. I just need more practice time with the gun to get this down as second nature.

Overall, I like the pistol and would recommend it to others.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Sometimes the hardest thing to change is ourselves right!

I am glad you figured out the problem. Good luck with getting adapted. I hope your 709 is as good and reliable a gun as mine has been.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Glad you got it worked out XRaycer. For what it is worth, I bought a 2nd mag for my 740, noticed the mag was made in USA not Brazil. Mag was VERY sticky at first but works fine now.
Love those 709's and 740's.
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad you got it worked out XRaycer. For what it is worth, I bought a 2nd mag for my 740, noticed the mag was made in USA not Brazil. Mag was VERY sticky at first but works fine now.
Love those 709's and 740's.
Thanks for the post.
Same here, the Brazil mag worked fine from the get go, both mags work fine now. Put 8 rounds thru mine Tuesday, only issue I had was when I tried to use some Maxxtech (steel cased Bosnian?) ammo that my buddy brought along for his Ruger. He said "Try this out" so we both started loading and I shot first. 1st 4rnds went fine but the 5th fired and the casing didn't eject. I walked out to the range master and he poked a brass rod down the bore to remove the casing. When I got back to the firing line my buddy started unloading his Ruger!!! He asked if I wanted the ammo to shoot in my Hi-Point 995TS, I think the 995 will eat anything.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the problem I'm having is ME and my technique, not the gun.
1. My small hands. I have to turn the pistol in my hand to reach the slide release.
Yeah, that's one of the problems that comes with an auto, but not only with an auto. Technique and small hands - I have seen it before. But it's the same with revolvers and my wife. She has tiny hands and can't reach the release for the cylinder on my revolvers with the right hand and has to push it with her left hand. So the only solution is to find a gun that fits her hands and not buying a gun that looks great and is of no use for her.

·
Registered
17,592 Posts
Since starting this thread a few days ago I've been messing with the pistol Mag Release a lot, over 100 times.
With a full Mag in closed and open slide and with empty Mag with closed and open slide.

I've found that I need both hands to hold the pistol and press the slide release firmly and long enough for the Mag to drop on its own. I just need more practice time with the gun to get this down as second nature.

Overall, I like the pistol and would recommend it to others.

Thanks for the replies.
My first thought, since I sometimes carry mine as a "pocket pistol", was that perhaps lint or some other obstruction was preventing the release button spring from fully compressing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts