Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks..., new to the forum and a new PT-709 Slim owner as well. I have a question about the take down for this weapon. All the vids I've seen on YouTube show owners depressing the trigger prior to removing the slide. In the manual it doesn't state that you are to depress the trigger as part of the take down. Is it a misprint in the manual, or are the vids on the Tube showing it wrong?

Thanks!

I love this gun by the way. I have to say Taurus deserves some SERIOUS credit for the quality of their products over the past few years, and it's obvious that Taurus is working very hard to change public opinion about their firearms. I'm shocked that the 709 comes with a polished feed ramp as a STANDARD feature. Way to go Taurus!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
A serious omission by Taurus which has caused many a noobie (to Taurus, not guns) having problems disassembling and at times jamming up the works.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Wino is right - that little omission has caused many problems. You must pull the trigger to release the slide from the frame.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Each gun is a bit different, but works for me is:
1. Remove magazine
2. Check chamber unloaded
3. Check chamber unloaded
4. Rack slide: full back and release
5. Move and hold slide slightly aft of normal closed position, about 1/8 inch
6. Pull and hold disassembly latch (6.02) full down (both sides)
7. Move and hold slide slightly forward of normal closed position (while still holding dis assembly latch full down, both sides)
7a. OK to release disassembly latch now
8. Pull forward on slide: it should feel springy
8a. If you let the slide move aft beyond the normal closed position, start over
9. Pull trigger and slide should come right off

Sometimes it doesn't work. If so, go back to step 4.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well there's a reason for this. If the slide has been racked before holding down the take down levers then you must pul the trigger to release the slide since its still cocked. On the other hand, if the pistol is NOT cocked, meaning when you go to pull it back a bit, there IS strong retention, then all you have to do is pull the side back about 1/8th of an inch (just enough to where the levers can clear the slide) then pul the levers down and release the slide. Then you'll be able to simply push the slide forward and it will come right off. I can make a vid if you really want to

BonnyTheBull

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Well there's a reason for this. If the slide has been racked before holding down the take down levers then you must pul the trigger to release the slide since its still cocked. On the other hand, if the pistol is NOT cocked, meaning when you go to pull it back a bit, there IS strong retention, then all you have to do is pull the side back about 1/8th of an inch (just enough to where the levers can clear the slide) then pul the levers down and release the slide. Then you'll be able to simply push the slide forward and it will come right off. I can make a vid if you really want to

BonnyTheBull
I think this is one of those topic where a video is worth a thousand words. If you can make one and post it here it would help a lot of people better understand how this works!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Please do the video, because there isn't anyway my slide comes off my 709 unless I pull the trigger - cocked or un-cocked. Racking slide to be sure empty, then pulling trigger to 'un-cock' before pulling slide back 1/8" to allow release of slide, my slide jams about 3/8" forward and looks like some of the jams we have seen with barrel and recoil spring protruding out front. Before it becomes totally locked up, if I move it back to battery and pull trigger the slide practically falls off. Haven't tried the 740, but can't imagine it would be any different.

When I remove slide on 709/740, being sure empty, I pull the slide back slightly (1/8" or so) pull both sides of release down, then allow slide to return to battery position, pull trigger with thumb on slide tail with slight pressure, and off she comes with no hesitation.

On the other hand, my S&W SD & Sigma work as you describe, pulling the trigger to de-cock before releasing slide release and off the slide goes. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the Taurus Slim SA/DA second strike capability?

While this has nothing to do with this question, I do want to say I prefer the breakdown pin system on my MilPro's & 24/7's than this slide release. On my Slims (not so much) and the S&W's (stronger than mares breath) the slide release at times becomes a fingernail breaking, blister raising PITA - particularly after a four or five gun trip to the range. LOL

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome and congratulations!
I see the Brothers in Arms have adequately covered your question.
Welcome to the "700 Club"!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wino, I agreewith your post. My 709 will not come apart unless the trigger ispulled. I called customer service and discussed the manual instructionswith a young lady and was told, yes you have to pull the trigger, and theyprobably would not be changing the manual. I have to drop the hammer onmy Ruger 22-45, but it does not re-cock itself when the trigger is released,you have to rack the bolt. Maybe I am just getting old, but I find itdifficult to hold the release buttons down, move the slide back 1/8 inch andpull the trigger all at the same time. Maybe I need an extra joint in mythumb or something.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Wino, I agreewith your post. My 709 will not come apart unless the trigger ispulled. I called customer service and discussed the manual instructionswith a young lady and was told, yes you have to pull the trigger, and theyprobably would not be changing the manual. I have to drop the hammer onmy Ruger 22-45, but it does not re-cock itself when the trigger is released,you have to rack the bolt. Maybe I am just getting old, but I find itdifficult to hold the release buttons down, move the slide back 1/8 inch andpull the trigger all at the same time. Maybe I need an extra joint in mythumb or something.
After pulling back slide and drawing down slide release you should allow slide to return to battery position BEFORE pulling trigger. Have had my 709 & MilPro slide jam when prematurely pulling trigger. At least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Mine is 4-pin and works like Wino's. LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is strange, my manual states that you must depress the trigger. However, the printed manual is very unclear and I still had to watch a video on how to properly get the slide off.

In the manual it doesn't state that you are to depress the trigger as part of the take down. Is it a misprint in the manual, or are the vids on the Tube showing it wrong?

·
Registered
251 Posts
When I first got my 709, I read the manual and it said to not pull trigger. After trying to field strip it, I went back to my LGS. He took it apart by pulling trigger. Felt pretty stupid but better than breaking it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies. That's one heck of a thing to forget to add in the manual. On the first take down I followed the instructions in my manual (that doesn't mention anything about pulling the trigger), and the slide was a little tough to get off. I eventually got it off (hopefully without damage to anything). The funny thing is that I have a lot of range time with Glocks, and upon the take down of the Taurus, I almost pulled the trigger out of habit (due to the Taurus's take down being very "Glockesque").

However, that first slide removal was done without depressing the trigger. I knew from that first take down something didn't seem right, and I checked vids on YouTube. I finally called Taurus, and the rep said YES you're to pull the trigger. I told him this was no where in the manual and he stated that he would pass this information on to managment.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Post # 2 ?..then...

Welcome aboaard from
Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Link doesn't work for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts