Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:jiml:

There has been some discussion in other threads and forums about using the deeply discounted (on clearance) genuine Taurus 24/7 Compact .40 magazines in the PT 640 Pro.

I am proposing using THIS thread to compile what PT640 owners are doing to modify the 24/7C mags to work in the PT640 Pro such that we may all be able to help each other.

I am very well aware that the 24/7C magazines are marked for the 24/7C, but in another thread here, we have been discussing using the 24/7C mags in the PT640 Pro, as there are virtually no aftermarket or additional PT640 mags available. I knowingly purchased 3 more of the 24/7C mags from Cabela's, to go along with the previous 3 that I purchased earlier from Cabela's. In the other thread on the PT 640, one user used a Dremel tool to slighty enlarge the locking slot on the 24/7C mags to make them work in the PT640. I carefully measured the different dimensions of the 24/7C mags and the original PT640 mags, and the sheet steel body, feed lips, spring, and follower are identical, a fact corroborated in the Brazilian gun blogs. The only difference that I could find is that the plastic magazine base on the 24/7C mags is taller than the base of the 640 mags by about 1/8". On the first 3 of the 27/7C mags I purchased a few weeks ago, I manually filed about 1/16" off the top of the 24/7C magazine base, cleaned them thoroughly, and reassembled them. Each of the 3 seated empty with the same "snap" that the original PT 640 mags had. I loaded each modified 25/7C mag with 11 rounds and seated each mag in the PT 640. Each of the modified mags appeared to lock in place firmly, but without the audible "snap", and manually cycled the slide, with each modified mag working flawlessly.

Today at the range, the results were different with 2 of the 3 modified 24/7C mags. One mag worked flawlessly, seating properly and firmly. The other two came loose during firing, causing a FTF since the mag slid down in the well. After close examination, it appears that I may have to file down just a bit more plastic off the top of the mag base on those 2 mags. The magazines latch was sticking out about a millimeter on the right side of the pistol when a full mag was inserted, indicating that the modified 24/7C mag was not fully engaged by the latch.

Just for grins, I put 5 rounds in each of the 3 factory original 24/7C mags that came yesterday. I did not clean the mags first. Each of the unmodified 24/7C mags came loose in the PT640 when shooting, causing a FTF, and it was obvious that they were just a tiny bit short of locking up properly in the PT 640. I will have to file the top of their base about 1/16" as well (or a little more).

The previous discussion of the 24/7C mags in the PT 640 is in the now closed thread:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/millennium-pro-pistols/58922-academy-pt640-deal.html

If anyone else is using these 24/7C mags in a PT 640 please let me know so we can compare notes.

Thank you,

Wishing all of you a HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR!

TD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I told myself I was not going to buy these magazines for my PT640. Then I saw Cabela's had reduced them to $9.99. I ordered 4 of them and received them today. I filed the top of the plastic little by little in trial and error. Retrying to fit the magazine back into the pistol each time. Loading the magazine each time as well. Never got it to issue a 'click'. Suspect I may have taken too much off at this point. I did find that if I hit the base of the 24/7 magazines into the PT640 with the palm of my hand, the magazines seem to lock in place. I have not had the opportunity to take them to the range to test them under firing conditions.

Although I have not put any calipers on the magazine, eyeballing the magazine, the upper metal flange on the 24/7 magazine seems a bit higher in some of it's curvature. Assuming my eyes are just playing tricks on me, maybe a call to Taurus to see if they will sell just the plastic portion of the magazine, could be the simplest fix - assuming they will sell just that portion.

By the way, I noticed the magazines have gone back up to $19.99 at Cabala's. Guess they were just reducing their stockage level.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twice this week, I took the modified 24/7C mags to the range to use in my PT 640 Pro. The first day, two of them came out during firing, but the other 4 worked fine, locking up securely. I filed down the top of the plastic base a little more on those 2, and went back to the range. Now they all work flawlessly in the PT 640.

When you seat the mags in the 640, look carefully between the grip and the mag base and you can see where they are butting. File down that point on the mag base where they come together.

All of the mags now make that satisfying "snap" when inserted.

As an FYI, I removed the bases from the mags, and using a flat file, ground town the top of the bases, periodically checking them for fit. Without the spring and follower, slide the base on to the mag body and insert it into the 640 to see if it snaps; if not file a little more. Once it fits properly, clean them very thoroughly to remove any plastic shavings, and reassemble. Other than getting down to the groove in the mag base that slides onto the mag body, you really cannot go too far :) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good Show

TexasDeputy,

I had forgotten about the flush fit at the bottom of the grip when using the 24/7 magazines. I believe you have hit on it. The proper magazine does not have the same flush affect. I'm on holiday for a few weeks and can't get to the pistol, but as soon as I have the opportunity I will try your solution out. I will also go so far as to place the PT640 magazine base on the 24/7 magazine and see if that may do the trick. I feel a lot better about my purchase now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Modified Magazines

Finally back home with some time to work on the magazines. Used a piece of wood with sandpaper attached and sanded the top of the rubber magazine base. After a bit of effort, reassembled it with the magazine. Perfect fit in the pistol. Distinct click on loading it in the pistol. No problems on the range. Only thing I notice there is a small gap at the rear of the magazine and the back grip of the pistol. No big deal. Turns out I made a good buy purchasing four of the magazines for $9.99 each.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally back home with some time to work on the magazines. Used a piece of wood with sandpaper attached and sanded the top of the rubber magazine base. After a bit of effort, reassembled it with the magazine. Perfect fit in the pistol. Distinct click on loading it in the pistol. No problems on the range. Only thing I notice there is a small gap at the rear of the magazine and the back grip of the pistol. No big deal. Turns out I made a good buy purchasing four of the magazines for $9.99 each.
For under $10 these were a great deal for the PT640 Pro "Academy Black Friday Special".

While I used a flat file, someone else used a few seconds on a belt sander to grind them down.

Glad they worked out OK for you.

TD

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just wish they had decent prices on the 24/7 G2 .40 magazines...disappointing when they cost 1/10th of what I paid for the NIB pistol!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wish they had decent prices on the 24/7 G2 .40 magazines...disappointing when they cost 1/10th of what I paid for the NIB pistol!
Until a few weeks ago, Cabela's had a selection of genuine Taurus factory magazines for $9.88. Several members of this forum bought the "heck" out of them for that price. They had the 11rd .40 24/7C mags for $9.88 (now $19.88 ) which fit the Academy Black Friday Special PT640 Pro with a minor modification to the plastic mag base.

Since the full size 24/7 .40 mags also fit the PT 640 (with or without a spacer), I am looking for a deal price on those.

If I see a similar deal again, I will post it here.

Happy shooting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts