Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have been looking for a deal on a PT 38S and finally got one. Estate sale, mint with everything it came with at a great price. Should have it in a few days. I only have one other 38 super but on the PT 38 I was wondering if it handles 38 Super +P ammo or just standard 38 super? Thanks!
( mis-typed the title but can't seem to edit it - lol )

·
Registered
24,748 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun. Cannot address the question of +P

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
Sure is a handsome pistola! :thumb:
I can’t answer your question either.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,104 Posts
So YOU are the ONE! :mad:

Congrats! It looked like a good one. :hand2:

BTW, I backed out early, too close to Christmas, unless I could steal it.
:D

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
It maybe a long shot, but have you tried calling the Customer Support number at Taurus USA and asked if they may have the information somewhere deep in the archives?

Beautiful pistol by the way,

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Wow...:blink:...it's like Brigitte Bardot with hand grips!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
To my knowledge: If you look at the SAMMI cartridge list you'll see that they only list .38 Super +P. Officially there is no more ".38 Super" in the U.S. it's all +P. Sometime ago SAMMI added "+P" to the .38 Super in order to further distinguish it from the .38 Auto. There was no change in the pressure specifications when they did that. Today's +P is the same as regular old .38 Super.

https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...FP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

"In 1974 the industry added the +P headstamp to the .38 Super to further distinguish it from the lower-pressure .38 ACP. Most current ammunition manufacturers label ammunition for the Super as .38 Super +P."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little disappointed - took her to the range today. Would fire fine for 3 or 4 rounds then not chamber a round. 3 or 4 again then wouldn't chamber a round. It would eject, return to battery, but wouldn't pick up a new round. Wish I had brought second mag, that will be next. My only thoughts were weak mag spring ( but they seem good ) or maybe the armscore ammo rim isn't right? Or maybe I'm just missing it but maybe the slide doesn't go back far enough to pick up a new round. bummed

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Maybe the recoil spring was replaced with one too heavy. I could see that happening. Or try a different brand of ammo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What Glen said ^^^

Every .38 Super is +P. Nothing was ever changed about the cartridge or how it was loaded, but in 1974 the ammo industry started marking it as +P as a way to help differentiate it from .38 ACP rounds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Going to go with a new spring, second mag and see what happens. If still happens, I'll try different ammo, if still happens, I'll throw the gun and swear !

Finding a PT-38S recoil spring will probably be challenging. Any idea if another Taurus spring would work?

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
Were it me, and it's not.

I would pull both magazines apart and do a good cleaning, maybe pull the spring out and stretch it just a hair and reassemble everything with a good coating of lubricant in the process.

Then I would do a deep cleaning of the pistol again making sure to keep things lubed nice and slick.

And then when ever I find myself sitting doing nothing such as watching tv keep my hands busy cycling the slide back and forth, over and over and over and over until your next outing at the range with her.

If you get the overwhelming desire to throw it, be sure to throw it this direction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, yes, I was going to take the mag apart at range but then I noticed it has a funky pin along with the usual bottom button/spring and didn't have anything to punch it out! I'm determined to make it right!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Thanks, yes, I was going to take the mag apart at range but then I noticed it has a funky pin along with the usual bottom button/spring and didn't have anything to punch it out! I'm determined to make it right!
Yeah Good Lord. That is a great looking pistol. If I owned it, and did everything I could think of to remedy it's issues, I would pay a good gunsmith to make it right...even if it costed me a few hundred bucks.

I have always had a soft spot for certain pistols, and that one would be one of them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts