Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have a PT-38s and give me their pros and cons on them? Are the grips same as the 945? Any info will help.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I don't know a ton about the PT38, but I do know that most accessories for the PT945, PT910, & PT940 will work with the PT38. The .38 Super is actually a quite good overall round. It was the .357Sig of its day, and in all reality it still gives that level of performance. It has found a good niche for competition use, and it is actually quite potent for defensive use as well.

Some folks will tell you that ammo availability is an issue, but it's really not that bad, and can be had for the same prices as most good defensive ammo you can purchase nowadays. So, if you find a good deal on a PT38, I would say to buy it -- it has a lot to recommend it! I have posted some ammo choices and ammo dealers below:

http://www.winchester.com/products/...r-x/silvertip-hollow-point/Pages/default.aspx

Federal Premium - Handgun Details

38 Super Auto | SGAmmo.com

38 Super | Handgun Ammunition | Ammunition |

·
Registered
296 Posts
I purchased a new PT38S last year to have a sturdy, reliable platform to conduct performance tests with the still rather obscure semi-rimmed .38 Super cartridge. And this attractive pistol provided flawless functioning, and consistent accuracy with every factory and handloaded round of ammo I fed id it.

However, I discovered that paying close attention to OAL is critical when handloading for this pistol. And, even though it easily handles .355 bullets, it prefers .356 bullets if one is seeking top accuracy out to 25 yards. Mine preferred Magtech factory ammo over Remington. But my Hornady HAP loads achieved the tightest groups at 25 yards.

Although I have enjoyed my time using this unique pistol, I would be willing to trade it for a 9x19 24/7 PRO, a 24/7 LS, or a 9x19 OSS pistol.

And here it is:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I purchased a new PT38S last year to have a sturdy, reliable platform to conduct performance tests with the still rather obscure semi-rimmed .38 Super cartridge. And this attractive pistol provided flawless functioning, and consistent accuracy with every factory and handloaded round of ammo I fed id it.

However, I discovered that paying close attention to OAL is critical when handloading for this pistol. And, even though it easily handles .355 bullets, it prefers .356 bullets if one is seeking top accuracy out to 25 yards. Mine preferred Magtech factory ammo over Remington. But my Hornady HAP loads achieved the tightest groups at 25 yards.

Although I have enjoyed my time using this unique pistol, I would be willing to trade it for a 9x19 24/7 PRO, a 24/7 LS, or a 9x19 OSS pistol.
Nice looking PT38 you have there GL! Thanks for posting your thoughts on this thread! :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice looking indeed!

Don't have a 24/7 or OSS, but I'd sure "trade" some cash!

I love me some Super, and yeah the grips are the same

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am looking to purchase a PT38S prefer SS model
but I am a new poster and can't get into classifieds
if you have one for sale
please PM me
thanks all
tony
(not a robospammer :)

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I love the .38 Super, and I have two PT 38s. I ordered some neat wood grips for it from Taurus. I will post a picture of them. I had my first PT 38 Cerakoted, since I bought it used. It looks great.

Pro:

It seems to be a great reliable gun, I have fired 300 rds in each of mine with no serious issues.

Con:

Taurus does not make them anymore, and getting magazines is tough, if you are like me and like several mags/gun.
Ammo can be an issue - you usually can't find it at WalMart. I can reload, but I also bought a few hundred rounds of .38 Super ammo from Underwood Ammo, great stuff.

It would be interesting to contact Taurus, perhaps they can help you out on the grips, and maybe if you want a holster.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I found my picture of my first PT 38 that has been Cerakoted, and wood grips from Taurus.

Attachments

Reactions: PreacherRodgers

·
Registered
51 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok
scored a stainless model with 2 mags, and soft holster from local armslist post a few hours ago for an awesome price....
now to find a owners manual, and some wood grips
( both long standing fetishes) :)

Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
installed a set of factory Taurus walnut checker grips from PT92
minimum modification on a belt sander (20 minutes tops )

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Picture?

·
Registered
51 Posts
took my newly acquired 38 super to range late Saturday and only found one flaw.......................

how fast you can go through a 50 count box of ammo at 25-35 bucks a box !!!!

wicked fun, super wicked fun shooter

makes my FEG Browning clone feel like a 22

big bang, big muzzle flash, hit close tight patterns mag after mag

1 - 16 of 16 Posts