Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used PT-25 PLY for my Wife. It appeared to have been shot very little. It is actually my wifes gun. I put about 150 rounds through it and had two problems.

One is ther is a plastic piece at th front of the slide that started to get deformed and started chipping away and flaking off, not sure if that is normal.

Second after the last trip to the range the magazine disconector fell out of the mag well and then the mag disconnector wouldn't disengage.

Are others having problems with these little guns? Are they durable enough for regular range time? My wife likes it and shoots with me regularly and this will also be her EDC. I know a 25 isn't big enough but she just wont shoot anything bigger because of the recoil. We do about 250 rounds (100 25's 50 22's and 100 9MM) between us every two weeks.

Question 2. My local gun store swears that ordinary people CAN ship handguns via USPS as long as they are going to the factory or an FFL. People on on ohioccw.com told me that its illegal though and and FFL has to ship it. I didn't take any chances I just paid my local gun store for the shipping and she is sending it back for me. I am interested what the opinion is here on shipping Handguns via USPS.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
No you cannot legally ship, via USPS? FFL's can! You can ship direct to manufacturer, for repair, but it must be by FEDX or UPS! Those two have rules about how you can ship, (Overnight, priority, etc.).

However, the rules are different if it is a long gun (from what I have heard over the years), and I have never shipped a long gun anyway!!

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Take it from me, you can't ship firearms through the USPS. There are multiple federal laws that get broken the moment you hand that over at the post office. Truthfully, you aren't even supposed to carry a weapon, concealed or not, if you go into a post office because it's considered federal property like courthouses and jails. 5 years in jail and thousands of dollars in fines are enough of a deterrent for me that i leave my pistols at home when i go to work. Oh yeah, i failed to mention earlier that i work for the USPS so i have first hand knowledge of firearm laws around it.

As far as the actual gun goes, sorry to hear about your troubles. Personally, my PT-22 Poly has been reliable and still looks pretty good. I usually run about 100-200 rounds through it when i hit the range, hopefully yours will come back working like a champ again.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That buffer is made to be replaced. I shoot hot hand loads through my pistol and replace it on condition but about every 250 rounds. I suspect that the use of the replaceable buffer is a method of solving issues that would only add weight to the pistol.

25PLY_111078.jpg

The part number is 11-1078 and they are a $1 each. I bought a bunch of them as the shipping is a fixed $4. Once the buffer is gone, the pistol will take a pounding and that might have something to do with the other parts failing.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Just a question y'all. Does he (or any of us) need a repair order before we would ship back to Taurus? I know that I had to have one from Beretta when I shipped my Neos back for the recall. BTW, they also sent me a prepaid label, and FEDEX picked it up at my house.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow Thanks for the helpful info!

I have heard that Taurus sometimes pays the shipping, and sometimes they don't. I did my Service Order, if that is what it is called, Online and included the paperwork with the gun. I am glad I let my FFL take care of shipping it for me! Rather than Walking into the Post Office with a box labled Taurus Firearms, ATTN: Repair Dept.!

I will order the buffers for it as well. As much as we shoot, I better get about 50 of them to start! Nice to know that I can get them and they are simple to replace.

I have no problem paying the shipping as long as I get it fixed. I think I know what happened with the mag release too. I was cleaning it for my wife and pulling a rag through the mag well to get the extra Break Free out of it and it got snaged on something. I had to getnly work the rag back and forth for like 5 minutes to get it out. It was the next time I inserted and dropped the mag that the piece fell out, so I bet I bent it and the mag going in bent it back and snapped it off.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Wow Thanks for the helpful info!

I have heard that Taurus sometimes pays the shipping, and sometimes they don't. I did my Service Order, if that is what it is called, Online and included the paperwork with the gun. I am glad I let my FFL take care of shipping it for me! Rather than Walking into the Post Office with a box labled Taurus Firearms, ATTN: Repair Dept.!

I will order the buffers for it as well. As much as we shoot, I better get about 50 of them to start! Nice to know that I can get them and they are simple to replace.

I have no problem paying the shipping as long as I get it fixed. I think I know what happened with the mag release too. I was cleaning it for my wife and pulling a rag through the mag well to get the extra Break Free out of it and it got snaged on something. I had to getnly work the rag back and forth for like 5 minutes to get it out. It was the next time I inserted and dropped the mag that the piece fell out, so I bet I bent it and the mag going in bent it back and snapped it off.
If you call first, or at least use the "Find My Model" link at the web site, that will tell you if your gun is more than a year old. If under a year, Taurus will pay shipping and can have FedEx pickup at your home, or email you a label to put on the FedEx box.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Take it from me, you can't ship firearms through the USPS. There are multiple federal laws that get broken the moment you hand that over at the post office. Truthfully, you aren't even supposed to carry a weapon, concealed or not, if you go into a post office because it's considered federal property like courthouses and jails. 5 years in jail and thousands of dollars in fines are enough of a deterrent for me that i leave my pistols at home when i go to work. Oh yeah, i failed to mention earlier that i work for the USPS so i have first hand knowledge of firearm laws around it.

As far as the actual gun goes, sorry to hear about your troubles. Personally, my PT-22 Poly has been reliable and still looks pretty good. I usually run about 100-200 rounds through it when i hit the range, hopefully yours will come back working like a champ again.
That's because they don't want any more guns at the post office. :D

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The USPS, as part of the Federal Government, is covered under the general law governing firearms, the usual "one size fits all" approach. After having observed the way people treat employees of the USPS over the years, many should be GLAD that the USPS restricts employees, as well, from being armed under only special conditions.

When your PT25 returns, take it home and check it thoroughly, cleaning and lubing as you go. If everything seems good, try it at the range. These guns, like the Beretta 21A, and 950BS series, are meant more for carry than constant shooting. As such, you'll need to watch that buffer, and make sure, as you clean it, to chase down any flakes from it. You'll also want to clean the magazines more often than with larger guns.

Mine has been trouble-free, as has my PT22, as long as I feed it CCI Mini-Mags.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
When your PT25 returns, take it home and check it thoroughly, cleaning and lubing as you go. If everything seems good, try it at the range. These guns, like the Beretta 21A, and 950BS series, are meant more for carry than constant shooting. As such, you'll need to watch that buffer, and make sure, as you clean it, to chase down any flakes from it. You'll also want to clean the magazines more often than with larger guns.
Excellent advise!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally Got it Back. The Replaced the Magazine Dis connector Assy, the Plastic Recoil buffer thingy, and they said there was a jam on test firing it and there was a feed ramp misalignment and they "lowered" the feed ramp. I will take it to the range this weekend and put a couple of hundred rounds through it and we will see how it goes. I had two Fail to feeds with it so maybe that was the feed ramp issue they found. The sent me two extra recoil buffer pad thingies with it 2 packs of break free and it appears to be very very clean, like maybe they put it in a Ultrasonic cleaner!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ranch Dog:
You are spot-on about the 250 round count, buffer replacement. I shoot the little PLY 25 a lot and that is about all the buffer will last. Easy to replace, which is a plus. I purchased your bullet mold a while back and load it to 880 fps for practice, 910fps for defense. Cast from 50/50 lino/lead makes it the same as Lyman #2 alloy. Accurate out to 25 yards, burns super clean with Hodgdon's Universal. It is a superb pocket gun. With 1 extra mag, you have 19 rounds on tap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
like maybe they put it in a Ultrasonic cleaner!
I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I purchased for cleaning airbrushes. Man was I excited when I saw the exact same one being used for cleaning pistols in several youtube videos. Using it makes it very easy to see how much those things really get out as it clouds up coming out of them and in just a few minutes they are spotless. :D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Ranch Dog:
You are spot-on about the 250 round count, buffer replacement. I shoot the little PLY 25 a lot and that is about all the buffer will last. Easy to replace, which is a plus. I purchased your bullet mold a while back and load it to 880 fps for practice, 910fps for defense. Cast from 50/50 lino/lead makes it the same as Lyman #2 alloy. Accurate out to 25 yards, burns super clean with Hodgdon's Universal. It is a superb pocket gun. With 1 extra mag, you have 19 rounds on tap.
Good to hear you are doing well with the TL256 and 25PLY! My dad has a Raven and has switched to the TL256 and gave back a box of 50 Speer Gold Dots I had loaded for him. I had loaded them to my Dad's request, 1.9-grains of Titegroup which generates a 19.6K PSI for a 17.4K PSI cartridge. Rather than pull them, almost impossible with the 25 ACP, I shot them up. I watched the buffer during the shooting in case it needed replacement but it made it through the box of ammo. I pulled it and put a new one in. It was actually only 49 in the box as I had killed a dog with one of them several years ago.

My dad and I walk up to the highway in the mornings, he is always armed. On the particular morning of that one missing round, as we got to the gate I saw a pit bull running down the highway towards us. I told my dad not to cross the cattle guard and said, "if you are packing, pull", but dad got a bit fouled with his shirt with the pressure at hand. I was behind him, anticipating the need to be clear of the shot, so came up behind him and drew the Raven. I shot the bulky dog at 7 yards with it coming strong. That 35-grain BB traveling at 1110 FPS lifted that critter completely off it's feet and dumped it in a heap. People underestimate the 25 ACP.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a pt25 and it is nearly impossible to rack the slide. I can do it with a gloved hande not with bare one. Have a bout 100 rounds through. Does any one know if it gets better after a good break in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The USPS, as part of the Federal Government, is covered under the general law governing firearms, the usual "one size fits all" approach. After having observed the way people treat employees of the USPS over the years, many should be GLAD that the USPS restricts employees, as well, from being armed under only special conditions.

Mine has been trouble-free, as has my PT22, as long as I feed it CCI Mini-Mags.
How do you remove the base plate of the magazine. My ammo never seems at the right angle to feed. Thought maybe a good mag cleaning was in order but can't get the base plate off without damaging it.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts