Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I have a 24/7 pro in 45 cal . every 4th or 5th round the gun will not fire.
after examining the un fired case there is a light firing pin strike on the primer but not hard enough to fire the weapon. any help would be apprieciated.
Thanks Sheldon

·
Registered
74 Posts
Send it back to Taurus. They will fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand , but I am looking for the reason it fails to fire.
If I just send it off I don't learn anything.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Could be some gunk in the Firing Pin Area of the Slide. Flush the inside of the slide Firing Pin Area through the Firing Pin Hole in the Slide Boltface with GunScrubber, or soak the Lower Half of the Slide in Solvent (Simple Green) and then flush with Gunscrubber.

Please note that the rear endcap covering the Striker End is Black Plastic and may not resist some solvents. Also, do not expose the paint on your sights to some solvents.

If the above does not work, you may have a weak Striker Spring or a defective Firing Pin end on the Striker. Consult Taurus Customer Service in this case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have taken this gun down to the three main groups.
slide, reciever, and trigger group. I think this gun is very clean.
when I use a tool to pull the hammer back and let it go on a empty primed case it fires the primer with no problem. It looks to me that the trigger assembly isn't pulling the hammer back far enough to have the power it needs to egnite the primer.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
jwc007 said:
If the above does not work, you may have a weak Striker Spring or a defective Firing Pin end on the Striker. Consult Taurus Customer Service in this case.
Being a Striker Fired design, there is no Hammer or Hammer Strut Mainspring. See Above Quote.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you send it to Taurus for repairs they will return it with a work order stating the work that was done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guy's I really thank you for your time . But after spending sometime evaluating my problem with this firearm, I have found the answer to be of some serious concern to persons that own a Taurus pistol for self defense.
This gun was sold to me by a local gun shop. the gun looked like it was shipped to me straight from the factory< Mint > . but when I looked into the problem I explained I found many of taurus gun parts to be inferior soft parts . Cast parts rather than hardened steel. The firing pin, was 6 thousands shorter on the hook than the replacement part < ordered from Taurus for a whopping one dollar. as the customer service rep put it. > I looked at the old firing pin and it was soft and rounded off . Then I looked at the trigger Bar and it too was soft and showed signs of excessive wear. I looked at the Sear and it was also in bad shape. Customer service was great and suggested I replace the firing pin and that would solve all my problems. Great! I replaced the advised Parts and still had the same problem. so here I go again . I told them I felt the sear needed to be replaced and they told me they will not sell the sear. My answer is send the gun back to taurus and let them fix it, and I will do so , but I have some very serious points to make.
1.If you are protecting your loved ones, do you want to do it with a gun that relys on the least expensive parts they can make?
2.How will it make you feel to hear the customer service rep say " that's going to cost you a whopping one dollar? That scares Me.
It seems to me taurus is playing the numbers game! if we sell 1000 guns , maybe 500 of them will be used by the avid every weekend shooters. and we might get 10% failure guns returned to the factory. fix 100 failure guns with one dollar parts ,including shipping and taurus is a very profitable company! the other 40% guns are floating around trying to be fixed by gun owners, gunsmiths, and people who think the problem can be solved by visiting the Taurus Forum.
4. Please take the title Smithing off this forum. There are no Taurus gunsmiths answering questions on this site. if your going to name this site something name it the " when to Send it back to taurus site" because having average gun handlers answering serious questions on firearms is just an insult to smiths who make a living making safe gun repairs.

OK so ask yourself the question.
If your Daughter is screaming " Help me Daddy Help me!" Do you want to take a chance on running aroung the corner with something that might just go "click!"
Clicks are cheep! a Whopping one dollar.

This is not a bash on taurus, they make some good guns .
this just isn't one of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know when your 24/7 was manufactured, but I do know my 24/7 .40 S&W was manufactured in mid-2007. I have now fired 2500 rounds through it since Christmas and had only one hiccup to date, and that was a misfeed of one round of a Polish military ammo that I was testing for a local gun store. That's 2499 rounds without a whimper. I now own 3 Taurus pistols and 1 revolver and haven't had a problem with any of them. My concealed carry pistol is the Millenium PT-140 and it has not let me down once in the 2 years that I've owned it.

This is a far better record than with the Smith & Wesson pistols that I used in competition shooting for several years. I had several of them sent back to S&W to repair various internal problems. My handguns are subjected to extreme amount use on the firing range (500+ rounds per weekly visit), and relying on my personal experience, I'd rather depend on a Taurus for personal defense than on one of the "name brands" that generates new business by trading on the history associated with their name.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have heard of problems with the 45 line. Every product occasionally has a problem. It's inevitable. It's how the company handles the problem that matters to me. You may have gotten a used weapon sold as new, or it may indeed be a faulty part from the factory.
For the record, if my son screams for help it will be my AR I bring to the fight,not a pistol. :D

Good luck with the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Tinmann, thanks for the input, and I hear ya as far as the AR goes.

Jammer22, you should write commercials for Taurus. I bet they'd buy that one from you for a whopping one dollar.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Sheldon, you have some valid points, and there is no right or wrong answer to trusting your own guts when it comes to protecting your life. There are people on this sight like me who have never had a problem with their taurus guns, and there are others here who even though they many Tauri they have a couple guns they had to send back for one reason or another. Sometimes that is they way they come off the assembly line. While it is unfortunate, you got a gun with a defect, but you know what? You are at least twenty steps ahead of the other people who buys a gun brand new, loads it and sticks in a nitestand and expects it to work at 3:00 A.M.. You tested the gun and your found that it had a defect. Now comes the hard decision. You can either invest more time and effort into making this gun reliable enough to trust your life with it, or you can switch systems. Now I'm not going to tell you what to do because it's your life on the line whatever route you choose. I will tell you that I own guns that I have carried that were at one time a work in progress, and I can honestly tell you that once I understood how every aspect of that firearm and got to know intimately how it could fail and in what situation, I felt more comfortable carrying it. Also I carry guns that have never, ever failed me at any time, and I am still around to write this. What I want to tell you is, that lump of metal in your hand is nothing more than a tool. Tools break, which is why it is wisest to have a spare in the toolbox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guy's I have to say,this is a great site. I appoligize for the bashing on your site. "broken gun syndrome" . It was'nt the way it started , Just ended up thet way. Im going to leave you guy's alone , Enjoy all your Guns and be safe.
QwiksDraw, Great Job controling the site!
Sheldon

·
Registered
184 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. Just shipped it back to Taurus yesterday. Customer service said it probably was a firing pin issue. Said it might be to short causing light strikes. Or maybe a spring problem. Told me 6-8 weeks to be fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts