Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I’ve had one of those for a good while and I’ve been very pleased with it’s performance. Mine isn’t particular about what I feed it and the accuracy is spot on for a handgun that size. Hope you enjoy your new shooter and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable about guns, but I am pretty good at navigating the Internet. Try this first, by entering your serial number: https://www.taurususa.com/find-model.cfm

This "should" tell you the exact model and date of manufacture for your gun. If you're lucky, there will also be a link to more information--possibly specifications and a manual.

Next, try this link: Taurus Sistema

It is in Brazilian Portuguese, so you may have to feel your way around. However, if you can poke your way around, you should be able to find a parts list with part numbers. Print it out, you never know when you'll need it.

Also, if you don't have a manual and can't find one on the first link above, go to Taurus's USA home page: https://www.taurususa.com/index.cfm and select the chat option and ask Customer Service to send you a manual (they'll want your serial number).

There are some very knowledgeable "gun folk" on this board--both about guns in general and Taurus, specifically. Ask the most specific question you can, and you'll likely get an answer (or several).

Good luck!

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
I went and took a look at my little list of Taurus, I currently own 4 of the 24\7 pistols in various calibers. One of these is the Gen 1 (recall/lawsuit) pistols in .45acp Compact with SS slide. It's been a long while since it has seen the light of day, but it is a keeper.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
First is it a Pro or a Pro D/S???
different series and operation of the same model weapon.
I have two 24/7C Pro D/S, on in 9 MM (with the infamous Ribber grips) and a 45 acp.
I had a 24/7 D/S OSS but unloaded it after the recall.
I find all three of my 24/7 to be fairly accurate (certainly well from the most accurate I own) fairly reliable (again not near as reliable as many others I own), all and all they are pretty good weapons.
I don't like the long trigger take up but if you use the reset they aren't bad.
my biggest problem is first there is a safety issue and recall (if you will) on them all.
second getting parts --including magazines are a night mare and IF it ever needs service then taurus will not repair the weapon.
personally IF I run across someone that will pay me more than 125-150 bucks here for them they will be gone on down the road behind the OSS.
taurus will buy it for 200 bucks from you or let you trade it for a different model, generally a G-2 I believe.
welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome to the forum,I've had my .45 for about 14 yrs now,very reliable literally 10s of thousands of round through, it has been dropped at least 3 times once on the rear sight,which I had to replace,wanted Williams Fire sights anyway. Also have the 9mm in this model same age as well. Enjoy your pistol!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
First gen Taurus GEM in my book I love the PT line from the .22 to the .45s I love the triggers if maintained and gun knowledge is practiced it will serve you a long time

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Banned
79 Posts
Hi, im from phil, just want to know some background to my newly acquired 24/7 from my in-law. Dont know much about this gun, Thanks for your help
Hmmm.... are you on bad terms with your inlaw? Just kidding. I have the same gun. I remember the marketing hype Taurus had, and Taurus poured money into this design. A slightly different OSS version was made to compete in military trials, but that never happened I guess. Shelved.

The 24/7 won the NRA handgun of the year in 2005.

Sadly they were swept up with a dozen other models in the voluntary recall for which owners are NOT happy with. Me included. Oh well. Enjoy your free gun!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have two 24/7s, both in .40 S&W. Yes, they were part of the recall. I've never had any problem with either of mine for several thousand rounds and I like them both. So, I never surrendered them. I didn't want to get a couple of hundred dollars for them or have them replaced with some gun that I didn't want. I have no intention of getting rid of them. They've served me well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I surrendered my 24/7 .40 as part of the lawsuit. In hind site I now wish I would have kept it as a range gun.

Reactions: leadcounsel

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm not real familiar with the details of the suit, but this guy has an interesting take on the flaw that caused some of these guns to fire when dropped. Essentially, folks partially pulled the trigger while setting the safety. He demonstrates this by partially pulling the trigger, setting the safety, and then pulling the trigger all the way, firing the gun. The theory is that if fingers had been kept out of the trigger guard when the safety was engaged, the gun would not have fired when dropped because the safety (properly applied) doesn't allow the trigger to move.

The summation and demo using a lawsuit gun begins at 11:05.
Here is the video:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts