Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all you other Taurus enthusiasts. I'm new to the forum but a long time Taurus pistol owner. Let me start by saying I am an avid gun enthusiast and am very well versed in mechanical theory and principal of all types of firearms (gunsmithing certificate from Penn-Foster University). I have recently acquired a Taurus PT 24/7 pro series chambered in .45 ACP and I am having FTF and slide lock issues on this pistol. The slide fails to lock open on the last round and fails to feed intermittently on the last or second to last round on occasion (FMJ ammo only, I don't shoot anything else thru this pistol). I've done my research and have come to the conclusion that my 12 round magazines have the defective follower as described in this, and several other forums. The particular magazines I have are of the type as I've seen described as not having the extended lip on the follower which makes the required contact with the slide catch (which Taurus later updated). I have contacted Taurus about their guarantee/return policy and have been informed that if I send the gun back ($75 fee) and they deem the follower to be the problem I must purchase the new magazines myself, as they are not covered under their repair policy. This being the problem, the magazines for this gun have been discontinued according to their service rep, and I cant seem to find any on the retail market. Does anyone out there have or know where I can find any 10 or 12 (particularly 12) round mags for this gun with the updated followers in new or good used working condition. I've tried all of the usual spots (gunbroker.com, amazon.com, gunsamerica, cheaperthandirt, midway, overstock, etc...) but to no avail. I love the way this gun handles. can anyone out there help me in any way. Included is a picture of the aforementioned good and bad magazine followers.

Product

·
Registered
37,050 Posts
well you don't say as to if you purchased the gun new or from someone (used), IF new then Taurus should pay shipping back to the factory and back to you after repair.
As taurus does not want to do this then i will assmue that you bought the gun used and they expect you to pay shipping.
Right now with things the way they are in the gun world its almost a "good luck with that" but in normal times CDNN generally has a pretty good supply of taurus magazines.
now as to a 10 round magazine be aware there are 2 in 45 caliber for the 24/7 (first generation) one is for a compact 24/7 and will NOT fit your gun, the other is a full sized 24/7 magazine but has a extended baseplate to restrict capacity for foreign countries like Kalifornia, but will fit your weapon.
of course the 24/7 G-2 magazines will not work either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Olfarhors, as thought it was purchased used. Bought it from a good friend though and the history of the gun is that even though its a 07 G1 model it still hasn't had more than 500 rounds or so run through it. I kinda figured that was going to be the case as far as buying mags would be concerned. I guess I'll just have to keep a sharp eye out for a few updated mags. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Or, you can correct the followers yourself. I was looking at two magazines that were out of date for replacement and were going to be wasted. So I decided to take the mags apart, use a dremel and reshape the top to look more like the v3 mags. That part that sticks up and jams between the shells and the mag wall is solid so when you dremel it down it can be sanded smooth and no longer jams. Another issue with the old mags is they tend to have a ever so slight inward lip that can catch the bullet. You can bend it out slightly and then stick the dremel inside the mag mouth (with a small buffing wheel) and really smooth out that part of the mag. While it is apart, take out the spring and slightly bend the highest part of the spring a little more upward. This will keep a little more up pressure on the front of each round. I also did a little work inside my gun and (shame/shame) actually reshaped the slide a little by bringing the lowest angled part a little lower. It did change the slide slightly, however, I shot 50 rounds through today with no, that's right, I repeat no jams. I had previously never shot more than three rounds in a row without a jam, usually every or every other round. I think the problems with the .45 in this model are actually a combination of four or five factors. Hopefully mine is running smooth now. I love the feel of the pistol and it handles nice in my grip. I'm glad it is finally shooting well.

DJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
Or, you can correct the followers yourself. I was looking at two magazines that were out of date for replacement and were going to be wasted. So I decided to take the mags apart, use a dremel and reshape the top to look more like the v3 mags. That part that sticks up and jams between the shells and the mag wall is solid so when you dremel it down it can be sanded smooth and no longer jams. Another issue with the old mags is they tend to have a ever so slight inward lip that can catch the bullet. You can bend it out slightly and then stick the dremel inside the mag mouth (with a small buffing wheel) and really smooth out that part of the mag. While it is apart, take out the spring and slightly bend the highest part of the spring a little more upward. This will keep a little more up pressure on the front of each round. I also did a little work inside my gun and (shame/shame) actually reshaped the slide a little by bringing the lowest angled part a little lower. It did change the slide slightly, however, I shot 50 rounds through today with no, that's right, I repeat no jams. I had previously never shot more than three rounds in a row without a jam, usually every or every other round. I think the problems with the .45 in this model are actually a combination of four or five factors. Hopefully mine is running smooth now. I love the feel of the pistol and it handles nice in my grip. I'm glad it is finally shooting well.

DJ
That is an awesome idea, thanks for the information may have to give this a try

1 - 6 of 6 Posts