Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just joined up and wanted to post on the recent purchase I got from a friend. He sold me a mint 24/7 OSS DS (LS) in .40 for $250 and I know it was a great deal. Haven't had the chance to go fire it (this weekend I'll break it in) but I was wondering something. I was trying to research them and I haven't found much on the LS model. From a few things I have read they are rare, is this true?

I own a 1st gen 24/7 .40 cal and I love it. I just can't wait to try out this OSS!

Anyways thanks in advance.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Absolutely, :thumb: Positively, :clap: Without a Doubt! :icon_ rocker:

THAT was a great deal.:happy:

Excuse me for getting carried away.

Welcome to TaurusArmed.net!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase and as all above have stated, you got a great deal. Enjoy it as I am sure you will. I have a 24/7 OSS DS in .45 and it is my favorite hand gun right now. Expecting my PT1911 today and it might move up to the number one spot when I get to shoot it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 24/7 OSS! The 24/7 LS and the 24/7 OSS are not the same model, they're actually 2 different models even though they're close.

Find My Model on Taurus Website
I know. But Taurus made 2 different models of the OSS DS. They made the standard version with the 4.2" barrel and an LS version with the 5.2" barrel. I have done both measurements of length of barrel and length of gun and they fit the description of LS model. I was just curious if anyone knew if they were, indeed, rare or not.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I know. But Taurus made 2 different models of the OSS DS. They made the standard version with the 4.2" barrel and an LS version with the 5.2" barrel. I have done both measurements of length of barrel and length of gun and they fit the description of LS model. I was just curious if anyone knew if they were, indeed, rare or not.
The 4.2" barreled pistols are the standard 24/7's, the 24/7 OSS pistols have 5.25" barrels. They're discontinued so they're hard to find new now, both versions. Taurus also made the 24/7 LS guns that looked very much like the OSS pistols but they're not the same. And they also made the compact (C) versions of the 24/7's with 3.2" barrels (I have 2 of them).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 4.2" barreled pistols are the standard 24/7's, the 24/7 OSS pistols have 5.25" barrels. They're discontinued so they're hard to find new now, both versions. Taurus also made the 24/7 LS guns that looked very much like the OSS pistols but they're not the same. And they also made the compact (C) versions of the 24/7's with 3.2" barrels (I have 2 of them).
Okay maybe I'm wrong on this but in my Taurus PT 24/7 users guide that came with the weapon they show a chart with 2 very distinct weapons. One called the 24/7 OSS DS (Std) and the other called the OSS DS (LS). Are they wrong or am I?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I don't know what guide it was, please go to the page I had the link in post #8, it has the pics and details of all the 24/7 versions that Taurus made. The OSS guns have the OSS stamped on the slides as shown in the pictures and the OSS pistols come with 5.25" barrels only. The Long Slide versions (LS) look very close to the OSS's but they're 2 different versions (I think the LS guns have slightly shorter barrels, 5" or 5.20" instead of 5.25" on the OSS). I have the OSS in .45 and I love it. I believe you'll love yours, too. BTW, $250 is an excellent price for any 24/7 gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what guide it was, please go to the page I had the link in post #8, it has the pics and details of all the 24/7 versions that Taurus made. The OSS guns have the OSS stamped on the slides as shown in the pictures and the OSS pistols come with 5.25" barrels only. The Long Slide versions (LS) look very close to the OSS's but they're 2 different versions (I think the LS guns have slightly shorter barrels, 5" or 5.20" instead of 5.25" on the OSS). I have the OSS in .45 and I love it. I believe you'll love yours, too. BTW, $250 is an excellent price for any 24/7 gun.
I've already checked my serial number and it comes back as an OSS. I have provided 2 pictures. Both come from the Taurus PT 24/7 OSS instruction manual. Maybe you can make something of it....
IMAG0263.jpg IMAG0264.jpg

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I believe it's a misprint. You can get the manuals from Taurus website (make sure you have Adobe reader installed on your PC or laptop). The OSS pistols were/are considered as the top of the line of the 24/7 G1 series. Unfortunately, they're discontinued now. I hope Taurus will make the 24/7 G2 LS pistols in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can understand that if it was a misprint. That's probably why I could find very little on them. Oh well. I can't wait to shoot this little baddie this weekend. I love my 24/7 G1 and when my friend told me he had this one and the price he was giving it to me for I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I've already checked my serial number and it comes back as an OSS. I have provided 2 pictures. Both come from the Taurus PT 24/7 OSS instruction manual. Maybe you can make something of it....
First welcome to the forum!
Now to make it simple for you!
look at the thumb safety!
is it an ambidextrous safety or a single sided (left) safety?
The 24/7 LS had a single safety just like the regular 24/7, the OSS has an ambi.
of course it will be marked on the slide if its a 24/7 OSS D/S.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
Okay maybe I'm wrong on this but in my Taurus PT 24/7 users guide that came with the weapon they show a chart with 2 very distinct weapons. One called the 24/7 OSS DS (Std) and the other called the OSS DS (LS). Are they wrong or am I?
first don't put a lot of faith in the Taurus user manuals or the website info!
I am not famliar with any model OSS other than the D/S model with the 5.25 barrel.
the original was a Tactical that was blackened stainless steel with a poly frame, then they producer an operator that had a blackened stianless slide and tan poly frame, then the last ones had a stainless slide and black poly frame.
but all were the same dimensions and features other than the colors, at least thats the best thta i know about them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
first don't put a lot of faith in the Taurus user manuals or the website info!
I am not famliar with any model OSS other than the D/S model with the 5.25 barrel.
the original was a Tactical that was blackened stainless steel with a poly frame, then they producer an operator that had a blackened stianless slide and tan poly frame, then the last ones had a stainless slide and black poly frame.
but all were the same dimensions and features other than the colors, at least thats the best thta i know about them.
Well according to the serial # verification it was made in 2009. It's the solid black stainless, has the words "TACTICAL" on the side and say PT 24/7 OSS DS. I was just thrown for a loop when I read the instruction manual and saw that there were 2 different kinds made so I pulled out the ol' measuring device and saw mine was the longer of the 2.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
Well according to the serial # verification it was made in 2009. It's the solid black stainless, has the words "TACTICAL" on the side and say PT 24/7 OSS DS. I was just thrown for a loop when I read the instruction manual and saw that there were 2 different kinds made so I pulled out the ol' measuring device and saw mine was the longer of the 2.

Yep! just like mine!
Now i have never seen/heard of what you mentioned, not saying its not true at all.
But taurus has on more than 1 occasion placed something on the website , magazine article or in print that they never really came out with.
Like the 1911 commander, the extended magazines for the 738 & 709, then there was the original picture of the 709 that appeared on both the website and quite a few publications, the original weapon once produced was quite different looking than the proto type.
maybe tha the case here, anyway I think there is only 1 OSS out there. hope all this has helped you some.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts