Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm new in the forum and new on guns too. I recently bought a PT .45 OSS and took it to the range and noticed that it had FTF or jamming problems (as I said I'm new to guns). I had about 50 bullets and had problems 50% of the time (I don't think I finished a magazine without problems). What should I do??...some people advised that I should finish 500 bullets before start making conclusions but I have shot other guns (new) and never had a problem like this. Should I mail it to Taurus??....Thanks for your support Guys!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Absolutely try to get them to address the issue. That is what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
24,854 Posts
PT what?

·
Registered
24,854 Posts
BTW Welcome to TA from Minnesota

·
Administrator
18,195 Posts
Give the Pistol a thorough cleaning, paying attention to the Extractor/Slide Boltface area in particular. Disassemble and clean the Magazines as thoroughly as possible. Relubricate the Pistol thoroughly and go test-fire it.

IF, the Pistol again malfunctions, send it in to Taurus for Repair.

If sending your Pistol in to Taurus for Repair, fill out and print out the work order tag on the Taurus Website: Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Prelog Form

Reactions: btleslie

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

If you have not cleaned it really good, do so. JWC is correct about the detail cleaning. Look in the 24/7 or MilPro forum for threads on detail stripping these guns.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
First welcome to the forum!
secondly you don't say if its a new weapon or used, only that you recently purchased it?
as the 24/7 OSS D/S has been discontinued for some time it could easily be either?
IF a new weapon then i would follow JWC advise, if a used weapon --have you replaced the recoil spring in the gun?
also as you admit being a new shooter have you had anyone more experienced fire the gun?
if so did the same problems occur?
some function problems with semi autoes can be attributed to user error.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Several things can be wrong here, and I wouldn't consider calling Taurus until you have exhausted all of them. As olfarhors suggested, new shooters tend to have more problems, so his advise to have an experienced shooter shoot it is a good one. The cleaning issue has been mentioned, but new or used, hopefully you took the time to field strip it and give it a good cleaning/relubing inside, and do clean the magazines inside too. If you didn't do that, please do so. Ammo can be another issue. My OSS hates the Tul Ammo (steel cases), so if you have not shot different brands, do so. The magazines might need to be tweeked a little bit for reliability. Sometimes, simply spreading the feed lips a small amount can make a big difference. Mine had issues at first, but I narrowed it down to the magazines, spread the lips a little, and the issues went away. You need to shoot it some more and try the things mentioned above. The good thing about Taurus is the lifetime warranty. If there is a problem, they can fix it. But if it is simply a shooter problem, there is nothing they can do for that. Make sure you have a firm, two handed grip on the gun, arms fully extended and turn your elbows out to help with the recoil. Limp wristing is a common problem with new shooters and a good firm grip is needed when shooting the gun. The 24/7 OSS is a great gun and you will end up loving yours once you get it dialed in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts