Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently fired my PT 24/7 for the first time and had some weird behavior when firing with the slide.

After firing a few rounds I noticed that the slide did not reset to its original position, after pulling the trigger nothing happened so I racked the slide and ejected the round. This happened back to back maybe three times and in one instance twice, very random.

pt277g2c.jpg

This happened to maybe 7 to 9 rounds out of 100 rounds so almost 10% of the time. A lot.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have only put 100 rounds through it so it might need to be broken in a little more but this does not seem normal to me.

Any suggestions? Should I send it in?

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
My PT 145 has never acted like that. You are very lucky that the FP didn't hit the primer with that slide open and not locked up. You may have been at the ER having the slide removed from your face. My rule is that if it doesn't sound right, look right, feel right.... I stop and do not shoot it until I have unloaded the magazine (keeping it downrange), cleared the chamber (verifying by looking into the breech and/or putting my finger in to make sure it's empty) and only then proceed with my bind with examination.

Once the pistol is verified unloaded I would field strip it looking for obvious things like a burr/damage to the barrel or chamber. If you didn't do a thorough cleaning prior to shooting it out of the box that's the first place to start. Carbon will bind with the production grease and can gum up the parts. Maybe detail strip the slide and clean that out also while you're at it.

If you don't resolve the issue in this manner, then you will need to contact customer service in Miami to learn the next steps.

And I forgot...welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. Maybe someone with that same model will be along to advise whether they have experienced that issue.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
call cs and talk to them. you will probably have to send it back. :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have that exact gun and I have never had that happen. What type of ammo are you using? Have you tried a different brand? I would definitly strip it down to make sure there is no gunk or a burr in there causing it to hang. If that does not clear it up, looks like it may need a vacation in FL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a PT 24/7 G2 that is doing the same thing. I have tried ammunition from two different vendors and in both magazines. One time the slide will hang up on every round, and the very next time I reload the same magazine, the gun will fire flawlessly. When it malfunctions, the slide will close to within 3/16" of battery and hang. Then about two pounds of thumb pressure will lock the slide forward.

I have disassembled the slide and action and cleaned off the factory gunk. Also, as advised here, I have carefully inspected the slide and frame rails for burrs and have found none. However, I noticed a gouge in the inside of the plastic slide cover that seems to match up with the curved lever behind the ejector. This lever, which I will for obvious reasons, henceforth call the doohicky, flips over in front of the trigger bar blocking the trigger from resetting until some other wondrous and unseen process occurs in the firing cycle to release it. Perhaps this is unrelated, but when removing the slide from the frame, the slide hangs up on the frame about a third of the way forward. I have a PT 111 with a slide that is as smooth as silk.

Thinking that I have a new gun that just needs a breaking in period I have walked around the house racking the slide rapidly and continuously in a process which my sharp-tongued wife calls "gun masturbation". I have cycled the action for the equivalent of nearly a thousand rounds and the slide has smoothed out but still hangs on disassembly. I suppose I'll call CS on Monday, but I hate to waste a whole weekend not shooting my new pistol.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
My PT-738 did that when it was new for the first 50 -75 rounds. The dirtier it got the more it happened. It smoothed out after that.

Edit: A bump to the back of the slide would put it in full battery and allow it to fire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A quick update on my slide problem. I took a close look at the extractor on my 24/7 and noticed that the profile seemed pretty flat. That is to say that there wasn't the smooth gradual slope on the face of the extractor that you might expect to allow the extractor to bump, slide over, and capture a chambering round. The extractor spring is very stiff; so much so, that I can't move the extractor with my finger from the inside face of it. I could probably remove a coil and the pistol would function better. I removed the extractor and relieved the profile on a stone. This also polished the rough face to make for a smoother transition. While the pistol was disassembled I took the stone to the front edge of the locking lug on the barrel where it slides over the frame lug.

One or both of these measures cured my problem with the slide not fully locking forward, but it also uncovered another problem. Now the gun is misfeeding. About every 10th round will stick under the "cartridge loaded" indicator. I have only tried one type of ammunition in the pistol since fixing the slide problem, so maybe the feed problem is ammo related.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You guys are sure you're holding the gun with enough resistance to allow the slide to operate correctly and fully? Maybe too strong or weak of a recoil spring installed? Well cleaned and not running the rails dry?

Just some thoughts..

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I am not sure what is happening with yours. I had the same gun and put over 500 rounds through it before I gave it to my father and it has had probably 350 rounds through it since then with no issues. I have a G2 in 40S&W with over 2500 rounds and it has never acted like this either. Sounds like this one may need a vacation to Miami.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A quick update on my slide problem. I took a close look at the extractor on my 24/7 and noticed that the profile seemed pretty flat. That is to say that there wasn't the smooth gradual slope on the face of the extractor that you might expect to allow the extractor to bump, slide over, and capture a chambering round. The extractor spring is very stiff; so much so, that I can't move the extractor with my finger from the inside face of it. I could probably remove a coil and the pistol would function better. I removed the extractor and relieved the profile on a stone. This also polished the rough face to make for a smoother transition. ....
If it's anything like the 709, the extractor is not intended to snap over a round that is already in the chamber. It is intended to slip over the extraction grove sa the round exits the magazine and hold it to help guide the round into the chamber. There are several reports of damaged 709 extractors caused bu dropping the slide with a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This happened twice to me with the same round in my G2 9mm, both times when first loading a full magazine. I removed the round from the mag the second time and the issue didn't repeat. I later added the same round back in and it fired fine. Again, this wasn't during recoil but upon the first chambering from a new magazine... probably a different issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
good day sir WYATT BURP! i just wanna ask how did you remove the extractor on your g2.Anyway that slide issue happened to me when my g2 was new and fired it straight from the box, so i dissasembled it at home, sprayed the whole mechanism with a mixture of kerosene and poer steering oil, let it stand for a few minutes, and voila! all the gunks and greases dissappear, after that it runs flawlessly,i had around 3500 rounds so far, and what i got is just the fading of the bluing on the barrel, the trigger has been very smooth right now.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Failure to return to battery can be a finicky problem.
That gouge on the plastic end cap may be a clue. Sometimes putting my 24/7 back together the "doohicky" binds a bit, but I've never had problems while shooting (over 2K rounds, not a single error of any kind). Keep us posted on what you find out!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I picked up the same gun, a 2013 model, used in stainless, yesterday. Took it out for the first time today and I had the same problem, the slide stops within 1/4" of battery almost half the time. There is so much going on in there that I can't figure out what it's catching on, could be the barrel or the striker pin or the plastic frame or weak recoil assembly or something else altogether. Called Taurus and they had no easy fix and want me to send it in... so back it goes. :(
On a somewhat positive note, Taurus Customer service sold me a Fed-Ex label for $50 which saved me about $20 but this is my forth Taurus and my forth with a problem and second that had to go back.:(:(
FWIW, I have 3 Kel-Tecs which have all been perfect.:D

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
All, no gun is perfect and no product line is without its issues.

The common denominator with all models discussed here is the lifetime guarantee. Free shipping for the first 90 days. If it isn't right, they will make it right.

I would hesitate gunsmithing "doohickies" as it implies a lack of understanding of the mechanics of the gun and may void the warranty, which will cost you $35 to reinstate.

Trust me, I am not judging, only observing. I have less knowledge of the inner workings than you do.....

Reactions: MadKaw

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I second that. Take that apart and really give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My pistol arrived in Florida, I received and acknowledgment email from Taurus...
"Dear Customer,We are in receipt of your merchandise.
Processing should take approximately 6 weeks from the date of receipt."

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
I'll be surprised if it's not back to you in half that time. I'm hoping that you're back in business soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll be surprised if it's not back to you in half that time. I'm hoping that you're back in business soon.
I'm hoping so, I will post my results when I get the gun back.
I've come across a couple instances on this board where people post about their problem but the OP never returns to tell of the solution or lack there of.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.