Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 24/7 G2 and before ever firing a weapon, i like to get familiar with it.

So, first on my checklist was being certain i understood dissasembly and reassembly, after tearing the gun down to my typical cleaning point. Slide removed, Barrel, Recoil spring, etc, and putting it back together, about four times, i found the slide release tabs would no longer move downward, and therein release the slide. I've been fiddling with it for a few hours and still can't seem to get it apart again. I'm fairly certain I've done nothing to damage the components, but, until i hear of someone else suffering the same problem, I'm stuck. It is a brand new firearm, has yet to be broken in, i assume that could play a part in it but I've never had this problem with a new weapon, in fact i find most fight harder ( to come apart ) after a few thousand rounds, So I thought I'd put it out there and see If I'm the only one.

Thanks for any help offered.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have not had this issue, since you are new with this firearm have you slid the slide slightly back before attempting to move the release tabs? On my G2 40 the tabs will not move until the slide is moved back about 1/8 inch.

·
Registered
24,541 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota. Sorry you are having trouble.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

I suggest giving Taurus customer service a call. They can be a little tricky reassembling. Sounds like you may have missed a step in the process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on the issue,

SO, after studying the exploded view in the UM, I've discovered there really is nothing for the slide latch to get stuck on, even if i had improperly replaced the recoil spring, the firearm would not have gone together properly, and would not even pretend to function, loaded or not, After a quick call to taurus, in which a service rep tried in vain for a while to replicate the problem ( Bless her for tryin' ) , we both came to the same conclusion, it makes no sense whatever that this has occurred.

Really there is no way to screw up a field strip and actually get the gun back together, yeah, you can mess it up, but, you'd know it.

I've been advised to take it to a gunsmith, which I'll be doing this saturday, this is something nobody's ever heard of so expect the end result to be posted here in case by some twist of cruel fate someone else has this problem.

I do appreciate the welcome and the attempts to lend a hand, very much so, i think my lesson is going to be i should stick to tearing down the firearms I'm used to. xD

Thank you all! Hopefully we'll have this resolved soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel really damn silly for posting this right after my last one, but! That's life. I discovered the source of the problem! And it is resolved. I will attempt to post photos of this for the benefit of any who do have this problem in the future.

I did make a small mistake in reassembly,

The recoil spring was NOT seated quite properly, it was about a sixteenth of an inch off, meaning, the rear plate was not fully against the catch it rests on under the barrel, when i replaced the slide, it struck the slide catch, which in turn, forced its pin ( The small round pedestal like plate beneath it ) which rests on top of its catch spring, to turn about 30 degrees toward the rear of the frame. This prevented the slide catch from moving downward and out of the way.

The solution was simple, I feel rather idiotic for not trying it to begin with. By shining a light through the openings beneath the slide catch and using a precision 1/8th flathead screwdriver, I was able to prod/nudge the Catch pin until the spring forced it to right itself. from there it was simple as per normal to remove the slide ( this was when i discovered the recoil springs mal-alignment ) and all was functional as usual.

Recap -

I'm a moron

This was a very simple problem

Anyone not familiar with this type of slide catch should triple check component alignment, else, you'll waste a ton of time like i did. xD

Hopefully this helps someone somewhere someday, else, I'm really gonna feel stupid. ( Not that i don't already xD )

Thanks again to everyone who tried to lend a hand, pass word on if you ever hear of this problem again.

·
8,408 Posts
Hey at least you have a good discipline of tear down and familiarization before taking it out for first range visit. Many folks unbox and shoot right away - then wonder why something messed up, then get on forums and trash the manufacturer. I give you 10 KUDOS for your process and one AW SHEIT for the mistake. Of course one AW SHEIT wipes out 10 KUDOS. But I also give you KUDOS for fessing up and letting us all know so quickly. So you are ahead of the game. Like you I always tear down, inspect, clean, lube all my guns before taking them out on the first date. So far I have had an excellent relationship with all my ladies and they treat me right. The only new inspection issue I had was a slightly warped recoil asm on my S&W SD9VE. S&W shipped me a new recoil asm in 4 days no questions asked.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Good job. It always seem to be the "simple" things which cause the most grief. If we have "stickys", this should be stuck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey at least you have a good discipline of tear down and familiarization before taking it out for first range visit. Many folks unbox and shoot right away - then wonder why something messed up, then get on forums and trash the manufacturer. I give you 10 KUDOS for your process and one AW SHEIT for the mistake. Of course one AW SHEIT wipes out 10 KUDOS. But I also give you KUDOS for fessing up and letting us all know so quickly. So you are ahead of the game. Like you I always tear down, inspect, clean, lube all my guns before taking them out on the first date. So far I have had an excellent relationship with all my ladies and they treat me right. The only new inspection issue I had was a slightly warped recoil asm on my S&W SD9VE. S&W shipped me a new recoil asm in 4 days no questions asked.
I'm glad someone doesn't think I'm crazy, when i told my dealer about it i got half an exasperated lecture about never stripping a firearm, especially a new one.

In truth i picked up the policy from my grandfather when he taught me to shoot and maintain firearms when i was thirteen. Its stuck ever sense.

" Know your tools, know their roles, and they'll never fail you when you need them most. "

That were his words on the matter.

I definitely appreciate the KUDOS, I think i had a positive score at the end of that. I dunno you tell me. xD

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good job. It always seem to be the "simple" things which cause the most grief. If we have "stickys", this should be stuck.
Thanks, Though i still feel pretty damn stupid for the whole ordeal. I do believe we have " Stickys " But i haven't a clue how to use them or create them or whatever, maybe I'll look into it once i post the pictures and details of the whole mess.

In relation to that, i can't help but wonder why the slide catch pin is a separate piece, apart from the catch itself, in my mind it would make more sense to have them be one complete part and, as per normal, have the whole thing rest on its spring. Perhaps its a manufacturing problem, who really knows. Not me, I'm a mechanic... I don't know much about moving parts ;D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To further drive home the painful point of my, ahem, sillyness. Though I'm sure you've all figured it out by now. I've been using the wrong terms all along, this post SHOULD be titled " Dissasembling latch Stuck. ( Part - 4.02 ) " Not Slide Release ( Properly called The Slide Catch Part 5.04 ) . And every-time I've idiotically referred to the former as the latter needs to be corrected, however! I am far too lazy to do that. I Can't correct the Thread title, and instead must suffer my shame immortalized on the internet, Yay me!

Reactions: HotMetal

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does, crap my therapist says I shouldn't talk about myself that way. As a mechanic you know that sometimes it's just the simplest of things that go wrong. You found it and fixed it and then had the gonads to fess up, I admit to having points where I'm just simply a idiot.

Reactions: ZTice

·
8,408 Posts
Not Slide Release ( Properly called The Slide Catch Part 5.04 )

I knew what you were talking about from your good description of the issue. Can't count ( more than a hundred ) how many screwups I have done in emails,posts etc.. Put a hundred rounds through it and you will feel better. I been considering the 45 24/7 or 45 745. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stupid is as stupid does, crap my therapist says I shouldn't talk about myself that way. As a mechanic you know that sometimes it's just the simplest of things that go wrong. You found it and fixed it and then had the gonads to fess up, I admit to having points where I'm just simply a idiot.
xD Sometimes a little self abuse does us all good. Drives the point of the lesson home, as it is for me in this case. I certainly hope this helps someone someday, and I certainly wasn't going to keep it to myself regardless. The simple things, the details, they're ALWAYS what get us, in cars, guns, and everything with moving parts, that's for sure. Definitely appreciate the moral support. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not Slide Release ( Properly called The Slide Catch Part 5.04 )

I knew what you were talking about from your good description of the issue. Can't count ( more than a hundred ) how many screwups I have done in emails,posts etc.. Put a hundred rounds through it and you will feel better. I been considering the 45 24/7 or 45 745. Let us know how it shoots.
Glad to know i at least explain myself well. xD I will definitely throw some photos and a " Review " of its performance up here soon as i take her out. Which should be this Saturday, since i no longer need to see a gunsmith. I can say that if she's anything like her predecessor, the classic 24/7, she ought to handle flawlessly considering her spec sheet. Better even, as the polymer frame really does balance the weight nearly flawlessly.

Between those two, that's a damn difficult choice to make. Hope i can help. xD

Reactions: HotMetal

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Great thread. Thanks Ztice, very well written.
Mmm, I think one of the mods decides about stickies.

I take my guns apart not only to inspect, clean and lube them but just to see how they work.
I'm amazed at the clever ways they are made.

Reactions: ZTice

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great thread. Thanks Ztice, very well written.
Mmm, I think one of the mods decides about stickies.

I take my guns apart not only to inspect, clean and lube them but just to see how they work.
I'm amazed at the clever ways they are made.

Thank you much sir! That has always been my fascination as well. Its why i became a mechanic. There's an inherent elegance, beauty even, in machines to my eyes/opinion. Firearms being highest on that list. Simple in nature, effective in purpose, and efficient tools in design, that they are, always innovating, and fitting more features per relative unit of space than anything else on the planet.

Love the names of your girls/guns ( not sure what you refer to them as ) by the way ( If I'm understanding your " Quote " Correctly. ) I don't know what your particular story is, in my case, my grandfather imparted to me naming my firearms, told me it was bad luck not to. The 24/7 G2 i am talking about in this post is named Grace, fittingly so in my opinion.

Thanks again for your reply! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
im facing the same problem so dont feel bad ive taken it to gunsmiths with no success so i am going to try your method see how it works out for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this post. I had a very similar issue on a 24/7 and was able to diagnose and resolve it with your flashlight trick and a thin pick. Kudos!

·
Super Moderator
35,705 Posts
Thank you for this post. I had a very similar issue on a 24/7 and was able to diagnose and resolve it with your flashlight trick and a thin pick. Kudos!
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts