Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My PT-22 now has about 400 rounds through it. All problems with jamming, failure-to-feed and failure-to-eject seem to be gone. It seems to now favor CCI mini-mags mostly. Accuracy at 7 yards is reasonable.

Light strike issues still remain, though. As I've said before, most of the time (80-90%) I can just pull the trigger again and the round will fire (one of the reasons I love DAO semi-autos.) The times that doesn't work I can usually just rotate the round in the chamber and it will fire. Once or twice nothing would make the round fire, and I attribute that to a possible ammo dud.

Light strike issues don't really seem to be improving, though I can go two, maybe even three mags without a failure to fire on occassion. Typically, I get a string of mags that have one light strike per mag, which I can usually double shoot my way out of. Now and then I'll get two light strikes per mag, and once I got 4.

I think after 400 rounds most issues should be resolved, but before sending it back to Taurus, I'd like to try cleaning the striker/pin channel of any debris and try it a couple more times. My Smith and Wesson Sigma had a mild recurrence of a light strike issure that required warranty work a couple months ago, so I opened up the striker channel yesterday and found a bit of crud in there in a location that could've kept the striker from hittimg the primer with full force. (In the 400 rounds since the warranty work, I've only had that one FTF, so I'm not ready to write the Sigma off yet.)

I've soaked the PT-22 slide in Hoppe's but that didn't seem to help. Question: Can I get into the striker channel easily? How do I do it? I presume the pin in the slide has to be driven out, but I don't want to mess things up, so I'm asking you guys first. Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
People constantly complain about heavy trigger pulls on .22 rimfire handguns...now you know why they have to be heavy.

.22 rimfire ammo is NOT the most reliable around regardless of the price of the gun.

It's literally produced by the billions of rounds and misfires are common.

It's a fun useful round that'll be around long after we're gone...so enjoy it for what it is and try not to get hung up on an occasional misfire. ;)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Buy small boxes of many types of .22LR and try each. You will quickly figure out that SOME produce a lot more duds than others. Remington is bad for duds. Federal bulk has a lot of misfeeds. CCI Mini-mags are about the best. Winchester white box bulk 1280 fps 36 gr is pretty good but the Winchester Xprert HV (also 1280 fps /36 gr) has bullets that are placed into the cases miserably and they move all around and frequently misfeed. .22LR rifles are NOT a good gauge as to what will feed. They eat most anything so just check different brands/types with your new pistol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts