Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have this problem with my new pt-22. I bought it 2 weeks ago and as is my standard practice I brought it home and cleaned all the packing goop out of it loaded up the mag and put it away for 2 weeks now here is the problem I took it out of the safe today and went to shoot it and low and behold it won't chamber a round if you cycle the action I have tried a couple of different brands of ammo 2 different mags and even tried adjusting the feed lips on the mags thinking that might help but nothing works the only way I can chamber a round is to do so manually by opening the barrel. Anyone got any Idea how to fix this of do I need to just give up and send it in?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Hello Shawnc, I am not familiar with this gun but someone who is will be along shortly and may be able to help you.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
You're supposed to chamber that +1 round into the barrel, don't load it from the magazine using the slide. Remember, this is rimfire ammo you're using. All it takes is for the slide to come out of your hand a little too fast and you can potentially set off a round without even pulling the trigger. You can cycle centerfire ammo all day without too much risk since it's not being shoved into place directly on the primer. But considering .22 LR shoots by having that rim struck, it's a safety issue with the ammunition versus the placement of the firing pin. The slides weren't meant to be racked at all except on recoil, notice the lack of an extractor claw on the slide as you would have in most rimfire rifles. For safety sake, just load a round directly into the flip up barrel and make sure they cycle at the range pulling the trigger.

Remember that .22 LR ammo is notorious for having problems in semi-automatic weapons, especially cycling problems with different loads. Luckily it's also cheap ammo and you can easily test to see which one(s) perform best in your weapon. At the moment, i have Remington Thunder Bolts lead round nose, Winchester Wildcats lead round nose, and Federal Champions copper plated hollow points ready to test in my PT-22 Poly. They're all High Velocity rounds, so they shouldn't have too much of a problem cycling that little slide back and forth. If they don't work well in the gun, i have a couple rifles i can run through them with. Avoid Hyper Velocity rounds, you could damage the gun and possibly yourself with the higher charge in those. Also remember that the ammo is pretty "dirty" overall, so if you test multiple ammos you should clean the pistol between them to get consistent performance from the weapon.

·
32,481 Posts
I own two PT-22s. As already stated these guns are finicky about ammo that it likes. The smaller the pistol the more likely it is to be ammo sensitive. Trying various brands until you find out which is the reliable needs to be done. What works in ours may not work in yours. Pistols are a entity unto themselves.

My PT-22s like CCI Mini-mags of both bullet weights, Remington Golden Bullets, and some types of Federal brand ammo. For you it might very well be different.

The type of grip one has on the pistol can cause problems as well. A full hard pressure and locked wrist is also recommended. it's easy to overlook all this when it seems like we are doing shooting. Just something to look at.

Do not shoot Quik-shok or hypervelocity ammo such as Stingers in the PT-22. The owner manual says not to. Quik-shoks are built off of the Stinger case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts