Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Pt-22 ply

Tags
22ply 25ply
16K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  Qwiks draw 
#1 ·
Very interested in adding a pt22 ply to my family and would like some feedback on feel, reliability and magazine compatability w/ standard pt-22!

Thanks!

#2 ·
Sorry. Can't help. I have a pt-22, but have not seen a pt22ply. Others have gotten one, and I think they like it. Someone will be along to better describe their experience.

#4 ·
I've been intrigued by this as well. From what I read here so far, after the usual break in they have been just as good as any other. The main differences between the two are the PLY has a slightly shorter barrel, and the frame (?) / grips structure is different. Don't know about compatibility issues, so I'll get some more coffee and sit back watch the tidal wave of info wash over the inner webs. :D

#5 ·
PT22 vs PLY22

I am very interested in a PLY22 (poly version of the pt22 in 22lr). I have read of reliability issues with the pt22. is the ply22 any more or less reliable than the pt22?

If anyone has expierence with both your opinions would be welcomed.

#6 ·
I am very interested in a PLY22 (poly version of the pt22 in 22lr). I have read of reliability issues with the pt22. is the ply22 any more or less reliable than the pt22?

If anyone has expierence with both your opinions would be welcomed.
First, Welcome aboard and Greetings from Ft Worth, Tx. There are / have been a few threads about this already. I am interested in the 22 also, and have been researching. From what I've read, there is no significant difference between the two models. I believe they are identical mechanically, and just different grips and slightly shorter barrel on the PLY. Any 22lr gun, from any maker, can have 'issues', (like ammo sensitivity) but so far that I've seen nothing that can't be worked around. You can probably find all the answers you seek with the search functions. Good luck.

#7 · (Edited)
Taurus introduces ultra light 22PLY and 25PLY concealed carry pistols

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - News Details

Taurus Introduces Sleek New 22ply And 25ply Polymer Semi-Autos

MIAMI - For 2009 Taurus is pleased to introduce its new ultra-light polymer semi-autos. Available in double-action only .22 LR (22PLY) and .25 ACP (25PLY), these pistols incorporate sleek new lines and full body contouring for improved grip and handling. Weighing in at a mere 10.8 ounces these light and fast backups are definite must-haves.
Offered in standard blue steel finish the 22PLY has an 8+1 capacity and the 25PLY has a 9+1 capacity. Blowback action and tip-up barrel provide safety and convenience during loading and chambering of the first round. Measuring just 5.33 inches long, these sidearms do not feel awkward like so many small pistols. New ergonomic design features include a curved and extended trigger for added finger purchase and extended magazine base for more grip. Additional features include trigger guard mounted magazine release, magazine disconnect and manual safety.
Standard for all Taurus models is the unique Taurus Security System® that allows users to securely lock the gun using an inconspicuous key-lock. Available now.
Beginning as a small tool manufacturer in Porto Alegre, Brazil more than sixty years ago, Taurus has become a diversified, international company celebrating resounding success as one of the world's leading small arms manufacturers. In 1941 the company produced its first revolver, and in 1984 changed the industry forever by offering customers an unqualified LIFETIME REPAIR POLICY", posting record growth every year since.
For additional information about Taurus and its complete line of products contact: Taurus International MFG, Inc., 1-800-327-3776, or visit Taurus International Manufacturing Inc.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

22/25 PLY Specs

• Caliber: .22 LR or .25 ACP
  • Action: DAO
  • Frame: Polymer Frame with Steel inserts
  • Barrel: Tip-Up barrel (for convenience and safety)
  • Finish: Matte Black or Stainless Steel
  • Sights: Front/Rear –Fixed
  • Weight: 10.8 oz.
  • Capacity: 8+1 (.22 LR) or 9+1 (.25 ACP) Overall
  • Length: 4.8” Grips: Polymer
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#10 ·
While I like the new design I am not gving up my 2- PT-22s just yet.

The barrel on the PLYs are just a tad shorter than on the regular PT22/25s.

#11 ·
I can speak towards the PT-22 as I own two of them. PT-22s, like other sub-compact lrf pistols, are ammo sensitive and finicky about the ammo used.

The barrels on the PLYs are a tad shorter than on the regular PT-22s.

CCI Mini-Mags, Remington Golden Bullets,and Federal high velocity ammo seem to be digested easily in a PT-22.

My two examples love Remington Goldens and CCI Mini-Mags and are reliable guns.

#17 ·
The difference in the mags is not hard to figure out. With any "improved" new model like the PLY-22 is, as much re-engineered as it is, the old mags for PT-22s wil not fit the PLY models or vice versa.

It's like the regular version first generation PT111 mags will not fit and function in a Millennium Pro model.

#18 ·
Thanks. I own a new PT-22 Polymer and want to get some extra mags as only one came with it. I cannot find anything online that indicates more than one mag being available, albeit there is a different mag for the pt-25.

Makes it tough to order the correct magazines.

#19 · (Edited)
I would contact Taurus CS at 1-800-327-3776 and double check just to make sure. They can say if they have them or if they are different.
New data has come to light and needs clarification and I think they are best to say yes or no.

Quote:The PT22 mags fit and fire just fine in the PLY.End of quote.

I've seen several statements like this one above so it would be a good idea to find out from Taurus Customer Service.

Everything I had seen seemed to go the other way limited as the info was.

Here's another clarification that the PLY22 mags work with PT-22s and vice versa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taurus did not write a manual for the new PLY model,,,
They just pack the manual for the old model PT-22 instead,,,
That's probably okay but the illustrated parts breakdown doesn't match the gun.

The polymer frame PLY uses the same magazine as the old PT-22.

Aarond

#20 ·
When I called about my 25PLY, they said no the PT25 mags would not fit. They had spare 25PLY magazines in stock and they carded specifically to the 25PLY. May be the 22PLY/PT22 is different. It seems to me what would be different for sure is the base that meets the stock in that stocks of both pistols are quite different.

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

#21 ·
I just picked up a pt-22 polymer from one of my local gun store and put about 200 rounds through it honestly i had no problems using Federal 36gr 22lr, cci mini-mags and stingers, its really fun to shoot the only reason i stopped because my thumps were killing me, loading the little mags really sucks so i brought a butler creek magazine loader for my next range trip. The gun fits in my hand better than the regular pt-22, my entire hand fits the grip no pinky finger hanging off like other small guns, i have large size hands so it feels natural like pointing my finger when shooting. Trigger pull isn't bad but it isn't good, its a long trigger pull not as bad as my s&w bodyguard 380 which was terrible, but for range plinking its fine. The only thing i would probably clean and lube it up real good before i shoot it mine was pretty greasy from the factory, I hope this helps anyone its a great little gun.

#24 ·
I have a PT-22 Poly and enjoy shooting it whenever i hit the range. I've got about 250 rounds through mine, mostly because the ammo is so dirt cheap. Mine runs best on Remington Thunderbolts, and that was after testing about 5 different brands. Fairly accurate for such a short barrel, but don't expect it to be a long range tack driver. As far as magazines go, there is a different part number for the Poly mags which have the rounded baseplate that goes with the contours of the grips. People say it feels chunky, but it's the same width (around 1") as the normal PT-22. I think it's because of the different curve in the palm of your hand. One thing is how hard the trigger pull is when it's new, the DAO is heavy but does break rather clean.

#29 ·
YES, I DID BUY ONE! PT22PLY w/black slide(from BUD'S).

Love the feel in my hand and the simplicity w/tip-up barrel. Actually purchased for my mother (tried m85 but recoil too much for her). Ran about 200 rds thru it to break-in. Used CCI and Winchester Super-X. Not very accurate but effective at close range. Had issues with slide not cycling forward and had to give it small push but this cleared up as I shot more. My only issue is that the slide does not lock open on last round and you have to keep round count in your head. If you do get one, try not to pull trigger on empty chamber. ...........Its a keeper!

#34 ·
Received my PT22PLY last week. Seems this model actually made here in the USA and not Brazil. Cleaned it up and off to the range. Way too many FTF. Using Federal, Winchester, Remington. All FTF cartriges kept and loaded into my Ruger 22/45. All fired. No FTF.
Looking at the back of the barrel it appears firing pin is hitting both cartridge and top of barrel. My guess energy is being shared between barrel and cartridge resulting in FTF. Cannot see any one with this problem. Any ideas? This problem at least once per 5 rounds.
Otherwise shoots nice, comfortable and a nice looking firearm. Any suggestions?

#35 ·
The Poly's are made in the US while the metal frame versions are still made in Brazil i believe. Sounds like an alignment issue with the barrel latch, or the firing pin could have become misaligned and damaged from dry firing. Might want to give CS a call and see what they can do about repairing it. Hopefully you can get away with shipping it on their dime.

#39 ·
That's the only difference i've seen as well. Otherwise, the angle and feed lips are the exact same magazine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.