Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find them. It's a pasture not a lawn. Is the mag release button metal or plastic?
Looks like a pretty simple replacement--the spring goes around the inner part of the button and the whole thing screws into the mag release--the mag release has threads in it. Probably don't have to remove the right hand grip since the mag release shouldn't need to come out. A little locktite on the threads should keep this from happening again. Does that sound about right?
Numrich does not have the parts in stock. It's the weekend so Taurus isn't home. Will they insist that I send the gun back to them?
In any case, I'll try them on Monday.
Keith

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I have two of the of the older PT-22's, and mine are metal. Is your pistol the older model or the "Poly" model?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It's metal. So maybe a magnet could find the parts?
Do you have the newer Poly Model, the first pic. Or the older Alloy Frame version, the bottom pic? The older PT22 has a "finger rest" on the front of the trigger guard:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Revolver

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the older model. Fortunately the magazine button is metal. But I think it's nickel, which is non-ferrous.
So I made a temporary magazine release button from a short bolt that fit in the hole and in the magazine release (which is threaded) and far enough out to be able to push on it. I had to put a piece of plastic tubing in the hole to keep the bolt from wobbling too much. I screwed it slightly through the magazine catch so it would hold a small spring over the extended end (spring is a clipped off piece from a pen spring) on the other side to push the magazine latch down into the magazine and catch it. I put a touch of Loctite on the threads of the magazine catch before screwing the bolt down. It works! Mostly. It's not a perfect fit and wobbles a little, so occasionally releases the mag inadvertently, but this isn't a self-defense pistol, just a fun little plinker. I will replace it if I can find the parts, but so far no luck. Not in the grass, not at Taurus (out of st Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory ock), not at Numrich (out of stock) and not on Ebay. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Keith

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Hope this works out for you quickly. My PT-22 is a FUN little pistol.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It's the older model. Fortunately the magazine button is metal. But I think it's nickel, which is non-ferrous.
So I made a temporary magazine release button from a short bolt that fit in the hole and in the magazine release (which is threaded) and far enough out to be able to push on it. I had to put a piece of plastic tubing in the hole to keep the bolt from wobbling too much. I screwed it slightly through the magazine catch so it would hold a small spring over the extended end (spring is a clipped off piece from a pen spring) on the other side to push the magazine latch down into the magazine and catch it. I put a touch of Loctite on the threads of the magazine catch before screwing the bolt down. It works! Mostly. It's not a perfect fit and wobbles a little, so occasionally releases the mag inadvertently, but this isn't a self-defense pistol, just a fun little plinker. I will replace it if I can find the parts, but so far no luck. Not in the grass, not at Taurus (out of st View attachment 439245 ock), not at Numrich (out of stock) and not on Ebay. View attachment 439243
Keith
I have that same pistol, I hope you can get the original part at some point. I injured my right wrist, and i had surgery on it.. it's never flex right again, and I'm limited on what I can shoot.. I'll ya.. hopefully you are never is a position that I am in, but having a gun that that for self defense that is easy to shoot is awesome.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered that part, thank you. Thing about Ebay is that it changes every minute. Thanks for finding that.
Keith

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I ordered that part, thank you. Thing about Ebay is that it changes every minute. Thanks for finding that.
Keith
You are Welcome, again.. it's a really gun. I have fired a lot of rounds through mine both solid round nose and hollow points.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I got the part a while ago and the threads on the magazine release button didn't match the threads on the magazine release. Since my homemade kludge was working and I wasn't shooting the gun much anyway, I just let it slide until last week. Then I got out my tap and die set and matched the threads up, put it together with a touch of red threadlocker, and test fired it. Works perfectly and better than my homemade magazine release.
Thanks for your help.
Keith

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
View attachment 440815
As you can see, the "new" release button is obviously used and the finish is worn off but it works perfectly. It has a hole through it near the top of the side so I thought it was the wrong part--that it was designed to be pinned to the frame. But I found out that to get it to screw down tightly you have to put a piece of round steel like a small screwdriver or a nail through that hole and turn it. Fingers can't hold on to the round surface well enough to get it tight. I used a finishing nail (no real head) so I could tilt it a little to get maximum turn length without running it into the frame and grips.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
View attachment 440815
As you can see, the "new" release button is obviously used and the finish is worn off but it works perfectly. It has a hole through it near the top of the side so I thought it was the wrong part--that it was designed to be pinned to the frame. But I found out that to get it to screw down tightly you have to put a piece of round steel like a small screwdriver or a nail through that hole and turn it. Fingers can't hold on to the round surface well enough to get it tight. I used a finishing nail (no real head) so I could tilt it a little to get maximum turn length without running it into the frame and grips.
I'm glad that I could help you a little bit, and you got your PT22 fixed, that's is awesome! I can't see your picture.. I sent the link to the administrator so he could look at the picture issue. Again, I am very happy that you were able to fix it. The one that I have, it's a great gun to shoot.. and I like how it is small pocket pistol but the size of the handle grips are wide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts