Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used PT-22 alloy frame with 2 original magazines and rosewood grips. The serial number is Y120xxx. Does anyone have any idea when it was made/shipped?

So far, I'm very happy with it. The trigger is long and fairly heavy like a revolver but very smooth. For a little pistol, I am pleased with the accuracy, and it hasn't failed to feed or fire with old Federal Premium 36 grain hollow points. (I found the unopened 325 round box of ammo in my garage a couple of months ago with a $14.99 price sticker on it.) I have a pouch on my go-back that it just fits in a pocket holster with the spare magazine and a reused 50-round .22 LR box.

Is there anything else I need to know about the PT-22?

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a good start. I've always been interested in a PT22, but never got a roundtuit. If you go to TaurusUSA.com and search your serial number, that should get your 'birthday'. I tried to get the exact link, but the page wouldn't load. Happy Shootin'!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, Zylo!

Spoke too soon. In the FAQ's is the question: "Can you tell me the date my firearm was manufactured if I give you the serial number?"
Answer: "General serial number information can be found by clicking here."

Well, "clicking here" got me: "404 Component not found."

I asked the question on the Question mark Support button. We'll have to wait and see.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

·
23,576 Posts
That really is a handsome 22. Was it NOS, or used?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've got the same model, same grips. Been a nice little pistol. Certainly a good looking little piece. I carry it sometimes because it's small and easily concealed. I paid a bit over $200 for mine new. Only issue I've had is after about fifty rounds I need to run a wire brush down the bore because it starts jamming. I read there is a plastic slide stop that will eventually fail. I keep meaning to order a couple.

Someone told me it's a "get off me" gun. If you have to shoot someone it'll be hard for a lawyer to say you were looking to kill someone as you were just carrying a. 22. Your intent was for them to stop their attack and "get off of you".

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
581 Posts
I read there is a plastic slide stop that will eventually fail. I keep meaning to order a couple.
It's a polymer slide buffer insert in the front of the frame. Mine broke and it wouldn't cycle correctly until I replaced it. If you own one it's a good idea to keep a couple around. Here is a thread with the part number and pictures (this says 25PLY/PT25, but it's the same part):

25PLY/PT25 "Plastic Insert Slide" P/N 11-1078

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Great looking little pistol OP! Still wish they made the all metal version.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I bought mine during the first production run. It went back for a cracked slide at one point or another. :rolleyes:
It has swallowed up everything I've run through it from that nasty steel-cased Russian stuff from the early 90s to those oddly shaped Remmington Yellowjackets. They were a preferred load in that gun.

I would love to see a big brother in .380 or 9mm. Lots of folks have a hard time racking a slide but a tip-up barrel might fill a need.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Answer from Amanda AR Taurus Customer Service: My PT-22 was built Feb. 17, 2010.

·
32,848 Posts
I've got two of those puppies. If you carry a spare magazine you will need to strip the first cartridge and then feed it into the chamber by tipping the barrel up. Trying to muscle the slide after inserting the spare mag is near impossible. I've practiced the maneuver quite a few times. This is if gun has not been totally emptied during a fight. Slow it is, but might be needed. Hopefully not.

At one time I carried two PT-22s. One was in a pocket holster and the other in a Bulldog belt pouch. Now the PT732 in .32 ACP gets the nod for the belt gun and the PT22 can act as a backup gun. I use that only in summer in hot and humid times.

·
32,848 Posts
Oh yes. My PT-22s like CCI Mini-mags and Remington Golden Bullets. These pistols can be a bit finicky in their ammo tastes. Other owners report different results when it comes to ammo preferences.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got two of those puppies. If you carry a spare magazine you will need to strip the first cartridge and then feed it into the chamber by tipping the barrel up. Trying to muscle the slide after inserting the spare mag is near impossible. I've practiced the maneuver quite a few times. This is if gun has not been totally emptied during a fight. Slow it is, but might be needed. Hopefully not.

At one time I carried two PT-22s. One was in a pocket holster and the other in a Bulldog belt pouch. Now the PT732 in .32 ACP gets the nod for the belt gun and the PT22 can act as a backup gun. I use that only in summer in hot and humid times.
Oh, God! IF I carry it, it will only be used in the event someone rushes me while I'm reloading or if I come upon a bunny that needs eating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts